Frequent Contributor

I am starting to pay more attention to my skincare routine and make sure that I exfoliate regularly. It seems that some brands of products offer exfoliants that are of a physical nature (i.e. little granules or beads). Other brands have exfoliants that are like a peel (like a papaya peel or some other sort of chemical peel).

Is it important to do BOTH types of exfoliation? Or, if you do one, do you have all your bases covered? And, how would you know if you were over-exfoliating if you used both types?

Thank you.

Super Contributor

I use both chemical and physical exfoliants on different days, depending on the needs of my skin. I typically use one or the other every night, and my skin looks pretty good. I will say, though, that I can't use a physical exfoliant more than 2 days in a row - or my rosacea flares up.

Esteemed Contributor

These are very good questions.

I think age has everything do to with it. After that, your skin type, and to be frank, how generally healthy you are.

After menopause, your built-in skin turnover rate slows from every 28 days or so...so you want to nudge that along. Perfect exfoliation is both chemical and then by manual (physical)...manual to fully remove what the chemicals have loosened. I also like gentle/daily because your skin cells shed as well as renews every day.

If your skin is sensitive, though, you need to be extra careful in types of exfoliation you need/can tolerate.

If you are younger, you may not any exfoliation, since just by cleansing, you will naturally be exfoliating. I think the problem here is, I wonder if someone younger cleanses properly, which to me, means at least every night.

Or, if you have troubled, acne skin, you may need to gently exfoliate by chemicals, which was the purpose of Retin A to begin with.

Trusted Contributor

One thing that's really helped me with the physical exfoliation are some microfiber washcloths that I bought from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1FUEHM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used to use chemical exfoliants a few times a week and also used a Clarisonic. However, when I started using Retin A, my skin got very flaky and my usual products either didn't help or irritated my skin too much. Obviously, Rein A is supposed to make your old skin shed which is a good thing but it's very hard to use any type of foundation when you're covered with flakes.

After doing some research, I found a lot of people recommended some type of microfiber washcloth so I decided to try one. I LOVE them. They are so soft you can't imagine they're really doing anything, however, I have not had one flake since I started using them. My skin is softer then it's ever been.

Frequent Contributor
On 3/17/2015 lkat said:

One thing that's really helped me with the physical exfoliation are some microfiber washcloths that I bought from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1FUEHM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used to use chemical exfoliants a few times a week and also used a Clarisonic. However, when I started using Retin A, my skin got very flaky and my usual products either didn't help or irritated my skin too much. Obviously, Rein A is supposed to make your old skin shed which is a good thing but it's very hard to use any type of foundation when you're covered with flakes.

After doing some research, I found a lot of people recommended some type of microfiber washcloth so I decided to try one. I LOVE them. They are so soft you can't imagine they're really doing anything, however, I have not had one flake since I started using them. My skin is softer then it's ever been.

Very interesting about the washcloths. Thank you. I have never heard of this before.

Can you tell me specifically how you use it? Do you first cleanse your skin with your usual cleanser, and then rub the cloth over your face after you've rinsed the cleanser away? Or do you use the washcloth on dry skin before you use your cleanser?

And, I'm assuming that the washcloth eliminates the need for the physical granular exfoliation, but not the chemical-level exfoliation, correct?

Again, thank you for the info.

Trusted Contributor
On 3/17/2015 Barbara Mom of 5 said:
On 3/17/2015 lkat said:

Very interesting about the washcloths. Thank you. I have never heard of this before.

Can you tell me specifically how you use it? Do you first cleanse your skin with your usual cleanser, and then rub the cloth over your face after you've rinsed the cleanser away? Or do you use the washcloth on dry skin before you use your cleanser?

And, I'm assuming that the washcloth eliminates the need for the physical granular exfoliation, but not the chemical-level exfoliation, correct?

Again, thank you for the info.

In the evening, I first use a Neutrogena face wipe to take off the majority of my makeup. After that, I wet my face, apply a small amount of cleanser onto my face, wet the washcloth and then gently wipe my entire face with the exfoliating side of the washcloth. I usually just rub it in circles over my face concentrating on the areas that tend to get flaky or where there's any makeup left.

In the morning, I just wet the washcloth and use it with a tiny amount of cleanser. It's weird, the cloths are so soft that it doesn't feel like they'd do any good, but I like them way better than my Clarisonic. I think I'm going to start using one of them for my body to see if it helps with my flaky winter legs.

I'm currently using Retin A as my chemical exfoliation so I don't think I'll be using anything else at least until I've been on it a little longer. In the past I've used a combination of peels and scrubs. Like I said, my skin is softer than it's ever been. Not sure how much is due to the Retin A or how much to the cloths, but I no longer have any problem at all with the flakes that Retin A can cause when you first start using it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to try.

Super Contributor

My skin won't tolerate any chemical or peel products. All I use is soap and water with bath gloves.

I can do my entire body in just a couple of minutes. No fuss, no gritty mess in the tub.

Honored Contributor

I add a little bit of a scrub to my regular cleanser every night.