Trusted Contributor

@islandbreeze,

If you haven't used exfoliating products before, go slow.  It's very easy to get excited about a new product and use it too often, causing a disruption of the acid mantle of your skin resulting in a tight, dry feeling.  We've all been there, lol!  Alternately, if the exfoliating acid product causes an itchy rash with red bumps, then it's too strong for your skin and you need to use a more gentle acid product.

A nice, inexpensive, gentle glycolic acid face cream that I've used is available at Walgreens, Studio 35 Beauty Alpha Hydroxy Face Cream, 7.8% AHA (alpha hydroxy acid).  This cream is not greasy at all and has not caused my oily skin to break out.  Another lower priced brand to investigate is Alpha Hydrox which is a glycolic acid based line with creams and serums.

If you are interested in a physical exfoliant, like a scrub, it is recommended that you stay away from scrubs with ground up nuts/shells because the particles have sharp edges that can cause micro-scratches in your skin, not a good thing!  I've had good luck with Derma E Microdermabrasion Scrub, available at Ulta, Sally Beauty, and Walgreens (I think).

There are also lots of exfoliating acid toners on the market with lactic acid, glycolic acid, malic acid, salicylic acid, it boggles the mind, lol.

May I suggest that you do some 'homework' and start Googling alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) and beta hydroxy acid (BHA) and read up on the different types of exfoliating acids available to see which one suits your skin type and your desired results.

If you're looking for anti-aging masks, the Korean sheet masks are fun.  These are paper saturated with anti-aging serums usually incorporating hyaluronic acid (no, not an acidic acid, this is a skin plumping ingredient).  You lay the paper over your face (they have cut-outs for the eyes and mouth) for a while, remove it, and rub in the serum remaining on your skin.  I've been seeing these sheet masks at TJMaxx but you can also find them at WalMart (of all places), Ulta, Sephora, all over the place. 

Respected Contributor

@Lemmonee wrote:

I am in mid 50's and have oily/combo skin. I have battled texture issues, rough skin- all my life.  Two things make the most for exfoliation IMO.   I like for chemical exfoliation the Brand  Beauty RX.  You can buy from his site or HSN carries some of his products.  The starter kit of the Progressive Peel has made such a difference.  Purchased at lesser price on HSN comes with 8% Exlfoliation Serum and  Exfoliation pads, 50 count. You don't get the cream on this one but save some money, and I don't need the cream, i.e. moisture.  I love Beauty RX Maximum Exfoliation Gel and after using the starter kit - on my 3rd kit now, I include the gel into the rotation.  I found I used more of the serum than the pads.  This is a very strong regime, don't use if you have sensative skin, or don't want to use a peel, yes you might feel some tingleing, but it is worth it, results were great.    Be sure to follow the instruction too.  This may not be for you, but I would battle to the death rather than give this up.  Plus my other best purchase, Clarisonic.  This really does help with exfoliation.  Get the Mia or some of the other Sonic brands, and USE IT, twice a day, if your skin allows, once for the more sensative, try different brush heads.  I can't live with out my Mia, and no matter what I sleep walk into the bath to wash my face.  Note, I don't understand those that use the brush on makeup, take that stuff off girls, use a cleansing cloth to remove your makeup then suds up with your clairsonic.  

I have bought many products- but Beauty RX is the Best Peel - Ever, and you will see results.  Follow instruciton, and follow the product order that they suggest.  Good Luck.

Thank you for mentioning the Beauty RX product. I  watch HSN but have never seen the Beauty RX I will have to keep an eye out when they are on again. It has all 5 star reviews which is very impressive!! I have been looking for a peel lately so I am going to give this a try. but want to wait when they come back on the air as they could have easy pays right now they don't. Thanks again much appreciated!! I usually sign up when the shows I would like to see  come on into my inbox but this brand isn't on there list.Hopefullly they will be someday.

Honored Contributor

My dermatologist told me to use Aqua Glycoloic Facial Cleanser (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) for my sensitive skin.  Works great and is a five star item.  You can get it at the drug store or OTC in the pharmacy.

Image result for aqua glycolic exfoliator