Honored Contributor

Re: Exfoliating Body Lotion

[ Edited ]

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have finally managed to mostly rid myself of my farmer tan.  However, yard work season is upon us, so I'm looking for a good exfoliating body lotion to help keep it at bay.  I do wear sunscreen, but I often don't think to reapply, and if I have to make a choice between bug spray and sunscreen the bug spray will win.  I can't tolerate both at the same time.  

Every body lotion recommended here has either AHAs or BHAs. AHAs  make your skin more susceptible to damage. (Lactic acid is an AHA.) If you aren't going to be vigilent about sunscreen, look into one with salicylic acid, which does not increase sun sensitivity.

Read more about it here: https://labmuffin.com/fact-check-friday-do-i-need-extra-sunscreen-when-using-chemical-exfoliants/

@Alison Wonderland do you have any suggestions?  I don't know what body lotions might have this ingredient.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have finally managed to mostly rid myself of my farmer tan.  However, yard work season is upon us, so I'm looking for a good exfoliating body lotion to help keep it at bay.  I do wear sunscreen, but I often don't think to reapply, and if I have to make a choice between bug spray and sunscreen the bug spray will win.  I can't tolerate both at the same time.  

Every body lotion recommended here has either AHAs or BHAs. AHAs  make your skin more susceptible to damage. (Lactic acid is an AHA.) If you aren't going to be vigilent about sunscreen, look into one with salicylic acid, which does not increase sun sensitivity.

Read more about it here: https://labmuffin.com/fact-check-friday-do-i-need-extra-sunscreen-when-using-chemical-exfoliants/

@Alison Wonderland do you have any suggestions?  I don't know what body lotions might have this ingredient.

I wear sunscreen and apply often, so you'll have to check the labels. If you find something with salicylic acid, read the entire label, because many items have both BHAs and AHAs and you will need to check all ingredients. Or commit to being diligent aboutsun protection.

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess ,Correct me please if I'm reading this post wrong.😀  Are you looking for an exfoliating body cream to scrub away any new tan you might get, since your farmer's fan has now faded? Is that even possible?

Honored Contributor

So your goal is to keep a farmer tan at bay. And you don't want to get too hot, so long sleeves are out.

I don't think that just exfoliating will help you enough. Tan doesn't rub away that quickly. And the more you exfoliate, the more prone to tanning you will be.

I'm thinking an extremely strong, waterproof sport type sunscreen might be what you need. Like the kind athletes use. Maybe that would stay on long enough to keep you from needing to reapply while you're active. If you spray bug spray on just your clothes and put the sunscreen on exposed skin, you could have it all.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Exfoliating Body Lotion

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

So your goal is to keep a farmer tan at bay. And you don't want to get too hot, so long sleeves are out.

I don't think that just exfoliating will help you enough. Tan doesn't rub away that quickly. And the more you exfoliate, the more prone to tanning you will be.

I'm thinking an extremely strong, waterproof sport type sunscreen might be what you need. Like the kind athletes use. Maybe that would stay on long enough to keep you from needing to reapply while you're active. If you spray bug spray on just your clothes and put the sunscreen on exposed skin, you could have it all.

@Porcelain- You're a good reader!  I have to admit, I posted my recommendation without examining the details of the OP.  If the goal is to remove tanned skin, I think a salux cloth or scrub would yield quicker results than a lotion, yet I like the lotion for regular use.

Honored Contributor

@Suebdoo wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess ,Correct me please if I'm reading this post wrong.😀  Are you looking for an exfoliating body cream to scrub away any new tan you might get, since your farmer's fan has now faded? Is that even possible?

I was thinking now that it's mostly gone I could stay ahead of it.  I do use Neutrogena 100+ SPF sunscreen now.  So, it's not so much scrubbing away a tan, but keeping it from happening altogether.  I think didn't get as much tan last year than previous years and that is why I was able to finally not start the summer with one already.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

If you spray bug spray on just your clothes and put the sunscreen on exposed skin, you could have it all.

@Porcelain yeah, I do that and sometimes even in my hair.  Plus, I try to wear the OFF personal bug device on my waistband which works pretty good.  The ones I can't stand are the little buggers that fly around/in your ears and face.  It doesn't help that the next door neighbor doesn't maintain his pool.

I also have one of those Dynatraps they sell on the Q.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess, okay sounds like you're all set. I sometimes use the CeraVe SA renewal body lotion. (SA for salicylic acid)  It's the one in the pump with the light blue on the label. Works very well. Combine that with a Salux cloth in the shower, as already mentioned above, and Bob's your uncle.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I don't understand the situation but for an exfoliating lotion I use any product marketed for "rough & bumpy" skin.    Either Skinfix or Gold Bond.