Trusted Contributor

Exaggerations - are they really necessary?

I realize this comes up a lot here with various hosts and products so forgive me for the repetition but this just really got to me. I have my TV on in the other room with QVC airing which is rare for me. Albany is selling an Acer laptop for $389 and she has now said, at the least 8 separate times, that you can't possibly even buy a decent tablet for under $400 so what a deal this laptop is. Really, really?????

Just a ridiculous exaggeration, imo, that shouldn't even be necessary to sell this laptop. Of course you can get a decent tablet for under $400 so why even make such a claim? And how does that help sell this laptop?? I usually like Albany's knowledgeable presentations but she almost seems desperate in selling this Acer tonight.

Also interesting that QVC is now selling Acer while HP is more frequent on HSN as of late. Maybe Albany was worried that QVC viewers wouldn't be familiar enough with the Acer brand - who knows.

Stuff like that really bugs me (obviously, eh?) Think I'll go turn the channel now which I should have done the first time she said it.

Sorry for my complaining.

Respected Contributor

Re: Exaggerations - are they really necessary?

Maybe the tablets Albany buys do cost $400.00, it is possible. I don't think she was embellishing, she was being honest in her life purchases.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Frequent Contributor

Sometimes I don't think they even think about what they are saying. Last night, Jacquie (sp) said that we always think "foaming cleansers are getting us really clean when in reality, it's the opposite". That would mean foaming cleansers make us dirty. That doesn't even make sense.
Respected Contributor

Your post seems a little exaggerated.

Honored Contributor

I don't pay much attention when a host goes into sell mode. I listen for details on measurements or how something works, etc.
Trusted Contributor

I really did not exaggerate as I could hear the entire 60 minute presentation and Albany just kept repeating that phrase. And even saying it just once or twice would be silly, from a factual standpoint. JMO, nothing more. I did apologize for my rant.

Golfcartrider - I do agree that it might be quite true for the tablets Albany personally buys - quite possibly Ipads yet I know you can buy certain Ipads for under $400. (maybe not at the Q but in both retail stores and other online sites) The Mini has at least 2 models that are closer to $300. My son is a Manager for Apple and I am buying one through him and prior to any employee discount participation, the prices are high $200's and right around $300.

I do agree that it is usually best to just ignore their sales pitches. I rarely watch QVC live anymore for this reason.

Mimichic - you almost have to wonder if Jacquie was even aware of what she was saying/implying. If so, that would be another downright silly and un-necessary comment.

I know we could fill these boards with 100's of similar examples - that one just got to me this evening and I should have just screamed at the TV rather than posting. Once again, my apologies.

Contributor

Hi Wackers, I actually think that your post was spot on.

I am fairly new to the Q and I will never forget Albany's presentation. Let me begin by saying that I am by no means new to online shopping (was at HSN for over 25 yrs) or any sales pitch; it's their job to "convince" us.

I never really post anything to the Host fb page...although they encourage us to. Wink Well, I was in the market for a tablet and was not sure which one I really wanted the Kindle or an Apple. This particularly TSV was the Kindle and Albany was on that night to kick off the special and she was also the host to close it out for the day. Well, it was not going to make it until midnight so, I had to pretty much make up my mind if I wanted it or not. Folks I kid you not from midnight when Albany kicked off the tablet she said over and over again, "This is the ONLY tablet that me and my family have in our home." "This is the ONLY tablet that my kids use for homework (I believe she call her kids the Littles or something like that") this is the ONLY tablet that my husband use and this is the ONLY tablet that I use.

At that moment I just stared at Albany on that screen.

Okay, you are probably saying what is wrong with that? Nothing is wrong with that EXCEPT just the Saturday before she was on with Craig (the Apple gentleman) and she said...you guessed it, "The Apple Ipad is the ONLY tablet that me and my family have in our home, we are an Apple family." I have an Ipad and my kids and husband have an Ipad, it is the ONLY Ipad in our home.

I told Albany (on fb) that I had been in the market for a tablet and I had watched the presentation of the Kindle throughout the day in order to finally make a decision. I told Albany that a lot of the customers rely on their feedback on the item and I had heard her state the prior week that her family was Only an Apple family and now she is stating that they are Only a Kindle family...which is it?

My thing is this: Do they not realize that customers do pay attention to what is being said? No, my decision was not entirely going to be based on what the host said, I do my research on things that interest me but, what made everything just standout was the fact that her voice was the only voice that I heard, I barely heard the vendor speak. I believe that if they let the vendor speak more about the product (most certainly on electronics) then we can get a better concept of the item and if it is what we are looking for. But, let me add this point...the support services that is offered what did Albany do? "Hey, if you have any questions and do not want to contact Premier Support (or whatever it is called) just contact me on my fb page and I can walk you through it." Okay, why is upper management not stopping her?

She did respond back to me by saying,"I have them BOTH."

She was NOT happy with being "busted".

So, that was my encounter with Albany so, wackers... I understand.

Trusted Contributor

Albany is not the only host that does that. Most of the super fast talking hosts open their mouths without engaging their brains first. Some of the things that fall out of their mouths is flat out silly. It's even more funny when they don't even realize what they just said, and the vendor is standing there just staring at them.

Trusted Contributor

Sorry, duplicate post.

Frequent Contributor

The exaggerations are a bit over done. Did anyone else notice when they present the travel on wallet that they have been the victim of credit card fraud? Either they themselves had or another co worker there and or their neighbor have had their credit card numbers stolen, but with the travel on wallet you don't have to worry about it. My goodness, I think that that is an awful lot of people to know who have been a victim of stolen credit card numbers while their credit card is sitting in their wallet. Just saying. I know they have to do the sales pitch, however just seems to me that they know a lot of people working at the q that have had their credit card numbers stolen. Please.... It is just a little over the top for the audience to believe that.{#emotions_dlg.confused1}