Honored Contributor

I always thought Evine was the dumbest name for a shopping channel. I don't know if it has something to do with Kathy LEVINE or just coincidence. But the other day on an ad for something on Evine, the narrator said, with a lovely voice, Uh-Vaughn when she said Evine. Well, that's better. I shall say that now instead of the awful E-VINE. Yuk. 

Honored Contributor

I think Kathy Levine does have something to do with Evine, but I'm not sure what it is...maybe an investor or founder, not sure. I saw her a few times when Evine was just starting after taking over ShopHQ. It was called EvineLIVE before Evine.

Respected Contributor

That's so funny. I just tuned in to watch live and the hosts immediately said "E-vine" twice, so they did not get the message to class it up.

I don't understand evine as a name, either. It doesn't mean anything to me. It sounds like an online nursery that was trying for a trendy name.

Honored Contributor

Kathey Levine's name has nothing to do with the name of Evine and she isn't affiliated with them anymore. She wasn't there long at all.   

Honored Contributor

The channel used to be called ShopNBC, then ShopHQ.  There was a big launch when they changed to Evine Live and Kathy Levine was very much involved - maybe a VP or something high level like that.  IDK if she's still with the company or not.  Eventually they dropped the "Live".  In any case, trying to make the name sound like something French or fancy, isn't the way the name is pronounced.  It's easy to sound it out phonetically.  But if the incorrect pronunciation makes you feel better in your private life, say it how you want to.  I don't think anyone here is going to care either way.  

Honored Contributor

And before they were called Shop NBC, they were called Value Vision.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle   Yes... Value Vision had all the beautiful Italian gold jewelry that I bought so much of at $100 an ounce....  those were the days! 

Respected Contributor

I agree, it's a dumb name.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle   Yes... Value Vision had all the beautiful Italian gold jewelry that I bought so much of at $100 an ounce....  those were the days! 

Yes, remember The Ramseys? They really got me in a lot of trouble. Yes, I got some beautiful things but now I wish I hadn't succumbed.

Honored Contributor

I started with them in 2001 when the name had just changed to Shop NBC, their jewelry was exquisite, the gems were a cut above the rest and so was their gold, and they had fab prices, I still love my collection from them.