Respected Contributor

Re: Ever wanted to "Make yr own Cosmetic?"

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Sooner I just harvested my 1st ever carrots grown in containers in the greenhouse.  

~~~~~~`

@Icegoddess 

Y'know.  You remind me.  Once, I saw something "unusual" on my "Spider Plant."  And I put it in soil, having no idea what it was, but I wanted to see what it would do.

It became a "bloody 'nother Spider Plant!"  It was a SEED!  Nice healthy "Spider plant."  Healthier than if you took one of the Spider babies that grow off the adult Spider Plant!.

@Icegoddess    Your harvested carrots reminded me!

Respected Contributor

@Sooner 

Yeah, I hear ya! 

I HATED that part of Home Ec also.

They had us create clothing for ourselves.  I selected a "jumper" pattern using corduroy!  BIGGGGG MISTAKE!   I knew NOTHING about "nap" on corduroy!      I had one jumper panel with nap going UP, another jumper panel nap going DOWN, right beside it.  It was the ultimate in disaster!!

Took me *many, many* YEARS before I would venture into any kind of sewing, and NEVER, EVER with corduroy, EVER!    Im fact, NEVER wore corduroy ever, since!  not even store bought.  Ever since, "nap" & I have had a "hate-hate relationship!"

Honored Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn Now that's funny!  Could be a new internet inspired trend!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Sooner   heh

Esteemed Contributor

I liked sewing my own clothes when I could find good fabric and prior to having my two boys. I would make simple things using clothes I owned as patterns. I made pants and skirts. Tried making a blouse and it was a disaster. I could make a vest, but anything with a collar was not a skill I mastered.

Later in life I became quite handy at making curtains and drapes. I lived at Calico Corners looking at fabric, etc. This was when I was first married and before we moved into our current house and before children. Lol.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

A long time ago I was a professional seamstress. I made custom gowns and prom dresses. Many of my customers had money to burn so I got to special order exotic fabrics from overseas...much of it was from Italy and Germany. There's nothing else like thick, plush Italian black velvet and silk taffeta. I really got to work with the finest. Pressure?? I guess you can say just a bit. 

Respected Contributor

My only make up making experiment was when I bought a relatively expensive foundation that was too dark for me and I mixed a lighter shade of the same foundation to get the color I needed.  Didn't want to throw the foundation away and ended up with a lot of foundation that I could and did use.  That was it for me.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

@Jk9 wrote:

My only make up making experiment was when I bought a relatively expensive foundation that was too dark for me and I mixed a lighter shade of the same foundation to get the color I needed.  Didn't want to throw the foundation away and ended up with a lot of foundation that I could and did use.  That was it for me.  

~~~~~~~~~~

@Jk9   Sounds great!!

Isn't that kewl?  

My complexion vascillates betw Light & Medium, (but not really a "Light/Medium,": per se)    And I have even more sway, if I'm self tanning, vs depth of winter. So I've always had to mix 2 differing foundation colors. 

Turns out, mixing allows for a more exacting coloring, plus access to wider variety of shade for other places on the face, (like under eyes).

And get this!   I would mix the Foundation colors "on top side of my left hand," & apply from there. Often I used foundations with SPF.  So now, the top of my Left Hand has ZERO "age spots!!" None!  Nah Dah!      because I always mix SPF Foundation colors there!  heh

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

A long time ago I was a professional seamstress. I made custom gowns and prom dresses. Many of my customers had money to burn so I got to special order exotic fabrics from overseas...much of it was from Italy and Germany. There's nothing else like thick, plush Italian black velvet and silk taffeta. I really got to work with the finest. Pressure?? I guess you can say just a bit. 

~~~~~~~

@SilleeMee 

Oh wow!!  I'm soo envious!  and yeah, beaucoup pressure!!

@SilleeMee 

Y'know.   You REALLY need to write a book, abt yr life.  Seriously!

I'd buy it, in a heartbeat!!  Woman HappyHeart

Pls consider it.. Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn 

It's never occurred to me to make my own makeup Smiley Surprised  I have mixed lipglosses and foundations.  I'm going to leave that to the experts.