Valued Contributor

Ever had "Cellulitis" of the fingernails? ..toenails?

Esp if u regularly wear polish?   (It's NOT FUN!!)

. . How'd ya fix it? 

. . . Did it stay fixed?   TIA

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Honored Contributor

Re: Ever had "Cellulitis" of the fingernails? ..toenails?

Hi @TwinkleBell,

If this was diagnosed by a doctor,

he/she should have given you an oral antibiotic and also maybe a topical antibiotic. Cellulitis is not something to fool around with.

If it is an ordinary nail fungus, there are all kinds of natural remedies you can look up, as well as over the counter. Vick's vapo rub is good.

But again, cellulitis can become quite dangerous.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay   @TwinkleBell   Sometimes, if a serious infection, a hospital stay with intravenous antibiotics is needed....

@TwinkleBell   Try posting in the Wellness Forum for more info.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Paronychia is an infection of the skin surrounding the nail--there are other disorders as well---cellulitis is an infection of the skin usually involving the legs and arms--I have had cellulitis about 13 times in my left arm in the last 4 years due to cancer that spread to lymphnodes that needed to be removed. I get it from over-exertion of that arm and have to take antibiotics  for a week. See your doc. 

Honored Contributor

I ended up with a what was thought to be a fungus on a toe...I did not have it tested.  

When I was at the dermatologist recently I asked her about my fingernails they just looked unhealthy and she responded by telling me how harmful nail polish is the nails, fingers and toes.  

I do not wear polish on my fingernails so I am not sure why they are in such bad shape, but I do keep toenails polished during the summer.  Her advice to keep nails healthy is to remove the polish weekly and keep the nails free of polish for a few days, then repolish.

Valued Contributor

"Beauty Friends!l"  THANK YOU!!  THANK YOU!!

In my inadequate way, u provided answers to exactly what I was trying to ask on this thread . .  if virtually there's any possible relationship betw Beauty (nail polish, nail/cuticle maintenance, etc) & Cellulitis, & if so, how do i avoid these problems!  So far, male docs have seemed clueless abt any possible relationship betw "Beauty" & "digit" "Cellulitis,"

. . . But my "Beauty Friends" here were/are bound to have this info!!  And u did!!

Im fastidious abt cleansing, surgeon scrubbing my hands/nails, so unless I'm overdoing it, it didnt seem likely it was that.   I keep polish on my soft, damaged "thyroid diseased" nails, esp when also, (pre COVID),  I was working out in the highly chlorinated pool, w/ others, every other day for hours!  (I hope to get back to this but havent worked out COVID & Pool yet!)

. . .@Mom2Dogs  what u shared . .  makes sense to me.  I'm definitely going to try this!

. . At my "advanced age," it's a *MUST* that I indulge in any/all precautions for a longer, healthier life, as I advance to that "heavenly door."

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

(WARNING - - DESCRIPTIVE WORDS here)

Now that my finger's "Cellulitis" has finally reduced back down to *normal*.. (that is...it's now 1/3 it's infected size), .. & peeled, & peeled, & peeled thereafter ...  

-->  It's revealed --> This darn infection ATE A HANDSOME AMT OF MY ACTUAL NAIL!! 

I went back to 'the Docs' twice that original day,..    Such MAJOR PAIN (& PRESSURE), that the 2nd time I was determined to have it lanced immediately!   .  & found the doc there who would do it.     Still pain directly after, *but* major pressure relief *immediately*! .. (esp w/o the pain of "numbing shots")..  

.. (The first visit I was merely put on Keflex RX).

Today rec'd a letter from the doc there.. He wants to see me back again. I'm guessing it might be related to his tentative "lancing," (which i DO NOT REGRET) ... or the "culture" he was beyond excited to take after I pushed to have it lanced, & squeezed, w/ gunky infection came pouring out!  .. There was still cont'd pain, but lancing provided INSTANT R-E-L-I-E-F from pressure!!   Highly recommend!

All this totally shocks me, because I take constant, incredible, cleansing, treating care of my nails & hands.. (maybe too much??) ..  so if all this can happen to me, it can perhaps happen to anybody!

THANKS to u "Beauties" on this thread, incl @Shanus ..

-->   I plan to take any & all procedural precautions here fr this happening again, .. (*&* incl yr recommended products,  .. that I've already ordered)!