Respected Contributor

Re: Ever Had Someone ""Out to Get You""?

Yes, and one in particular sure got me. I can't believe the evil that lurks within. I also can't believe others don't see it. I guess when those people arent after you they are sweet as pie. This happened a few years ago and I still can't get over the diabolical-ness of it all. Really cunning. Left me stunned.
Honored Contributor

That happened where I worked. One woman in particular was just evil. She presented herself as a good Christian woman ...BUT... she wanted to do only what she wanted to do (which wasn't much) so she created trouble for the real workers who made her poor work record look bad at every turn. She had our management under her spell who just would never believe this wonderful woman would do the things she did - even after being presented direct evidence. She would get the other workers who were so naïve that they bought into her plots innocently to do her evil bidding and in the end they got the blame for a lot things. When I was in charge of the unit she was in, I thwarted her at every turn and in the end she went crying to management and got a transfer where she continued her games. The year she was in my unit was the most peaceful one in the office because she was not allowed to play her games. She tried her best to make me look bad but was never successful. It bothered her and if she would have just put all that effort into doing the job she was hired to do she surely would have been much happier and less stressed. She worked harder at trying to get out of work and make others look bad than she did at any task she was assigned.

Trusted Contributor

No...I avoid drama. I haven't always had the easiest co-workers, but I've always found a way to get along with them.

Honored Contributor

On 1/24/2014 winamac1 said:
On 1/24/2014 wackers said:

When I think back to all the managers I had over the years, I did have better luck with males. But when I did have a good female manageron a few occasions, they

Male co workers don't bring the drama some women do Wackers!

Well the guy I had trouble with was a drama Queen.....Wink

About half of my friends are women I worked with over the past decades. Same goes for my husband's friends.

Super Contributor

Yes. I have had a couple of seriously psychotic bosses in the past, one who actually felt threatened by me and the other who wanted me fired so she could hire someone she knew.

My best advice is to not let the boss (or co-worker) engage you in any drama or arguments because that is exactly what she wants, to ruffle your feathers and get you upset. Hold your head high and do your job to the best of your ability. Whatever you do, do not "dis" your boss or complain about your boss with anyone at the workplace because it will come back to bite you in the behind. Just keep your nose clean.

Depending on the type of work you do, if you really want to stay, one strategy is to make yourself invaluable to your boss by doing work that makes her look good or volunteering to do extra work or start committees, for example. In the case of a co-worker, ask her to lunch and talk about how you can better work together for both your benefits. If it becomes intolerable and you just do not want to deal with this person, do your job as usual and start looking elsewhere.

Regular Contributor

On 1/23/2014 winamac1 said:
On 1/22/2014 twopeas said:

Yes, I have. A co-worker. I finally followed this simple rule: "Hold your friends close and your enemies closer". She is now my best friend. We are both retired.

Good for you two peas. I haven't had it until recently--also a coworker--fellow sales rep on my team. She's delusional, I don't trust her, and she's always out to get me trying to manipulate things. It's tiring.

I don't know if I follow that simple rule though…When someone is so borderline, I don't think trying to "hold her closer" would work. I'm glad it worked out for you. lol

Hey, WIN!!!! She is sooooo jealous of you and your fabulous style!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/23/2014 ury said:

Yes. If you've been in workforce, churches, neighborhoods or even families for any length of time you will find corrupt, insecure, jealous individuals who are driven by trying to control situations and get their way. To them, the end justifies the means. In other words -- situational ethics -- always in favor of their situation.

Be silent / Be safe. When you begin getting comfortable with workships (friendships at work) remind yourself to hold some things back and remain a mystery. And never, ever get so comfortable you speak ill of your boss, the company or other employees. Nothing goes into writing. It's too easy to vent to coworkers in emails. Don't do it.

Treat female coworkers like you would your sis in law. Be kind, help and enjoy one another - but watch your attitude and mouth. Wink

It's so sad we have to have these "pre-nups" in the workplace -- but as someone posted -- start off on the right foot. Don't get too comfortable in your words or relationships. Do a great job and let your personal ethics speak for you in the workplace.

Best advice on this thread ...

Respected Contributor

Yes, and to this day I really don't know why.

Had little contact with her, never spoke ill of her to anyone else, nothing that made sense.

I finally had a showdown with her when she said something to me in front of others. It felt inappropriate and demeaning.

When she was in her office, I went and said that I knew she didn't like me, that I no longer cared why, but if she had something to say, say it in private like I am doing. She just stared with her mouth open. I guess she didn't think I would ever say anything.

Still don't know why she disliked me so much. The only thing that made any sense is that I had a good relationship with our boss, and I think it bugged her for some reason.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

Yes - twice. I refused to be chased away by either of these bullies. In the end both of them left, and I am still standing!

Frequent Contributor

Not really. The only times I've had someone at work try to make me miserable, it was typically someone who was really miserable himself/herself, and was trying to make everyone else, not just me, join in the misery.

That type of person would rather make things go wrong, and blame it on others, than do his/her part to make things go right, and get credit. It is amazingly dysfunctional behavior.