Super Contributor

Re: Ever Had Someone ""Out to Get You""?

I have had the same experience as Peaches....intolerable behavior and no matter how many issues there are the boss just let's it go.

She is a total bully, and technically I am above her (although not her supervisor) in the org chart. But we are a small organization and thrive on collaboration, so I am never in a position to say it's going to be this way and that's it. She is always tiring to undermine everyone, and when she gets called on it, then she acts like she is the victim and was just trying to help even though she has done the exact opposite of what she was asked to do.

The worst part is that she is allowed to abuse (and I do NOT use the word lightly) her staff. Her dept has the highest turnover of any, and everyone just turns a blind eye and says it's because our salaries are low, or because her people are so highly coveted in the industry blah blah blah.

I overheard a group of staff talking a few weeks ago, someone from a different dept said - when I took over my position from X, he gave me this advice about the bully....his advice - if she decides she is doesn't like you there isn't anything you can do besides find another job. It was painful to hear. Yet, I know if I take it to the boss (yet again) it will be discounted as "well I didn't hear it directly". As if I am making this stuff up.

People are afraid to go to the bully's boss because the bully makes sure everyone see the illusion that she and the boss are BFF's. They are also afraid if they go to the boss, that the bully will make their life even worse.

ugh.

thanks for letting me vent.

Michele

Super Contributor

Unfortunately, yes I have. That person still holds a grudge toward me to this day, despite the fact that the incident occurred over 2 1/2 years ago. The best advice I have is to live and act as though no one would EVER believe what the person who is out to get you might say about you. Do your best at your job, avoid the person and keep your chin up. I no longer let that person get to me.
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/23/2014 winamac1 said:
On 1/23/2014 ibb38 said:

I think every office has one or two insecure people- trying to make a name for themselves HOWEVER they can. CYA is the best way to handle these situations. I tell my kids all the time 'high school doesn't end in 12th grade!'

ITA ibb. But don't you think the CYA is so tiring. That's my take on it.

Definitely. With technology, though it's easier. One trouble maker in my office has already kicked herself a few times. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Karma!

Honored Contributor

On 1/22/2014 BellaCarro said: Hmmm, Karma is a witch, isn't she?

ain't that the truth!

Valued Contributor

What is CYA?

Respected Contributor

It means cover your lower regions.

Honored Contributor

Yes it was a guy who once I considered a friend. He turned on me just like I had watched him turn on others. I guess I thought I was safe till it happened. I quit my job of 16 years mostly because of him. So badly I wanted to speak up when asked about this kind of thing during my exit interview. I kept it to myself. He didn't win, I did. I didn't need to work.

Frequent Contributor

It's a rotten little wannabe adult thuglet in my work, who has somehow come to believe that she's my employer.

I called and said I had a cold, a professional courtesy, and the next thing I know the thuglet has called for a replacement as I am deathly ill.

I'm 61, she's about 21 or 22. She recently married the owner's son so now she is hot bleep.

Respected Contributor

Deeby - I absolutely love your description - rotten little wannabe adult thuglet! I know few that this fits perfectly!

Super Contributor

Yes...not so much out to get you, but cliques are tough. And the jealousy too. Sometimes it's the boss who is out to make your life miserable, because they can. I had one who would dump her expenses on my desk for me to submit (I wasn't an admin), have me work on a creative project (knowing I put my all into creative stuff) and then have another co-worker do the same project and throw my work under the bus in favor of the co-worker. Used my work injury against me in my performance review. Toxic...