Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ever Had Someone ""Out to Get You""?

I was located for almost 30 years at one place. The new person in charge came in and decided I was not to be allowed to remain. I guess it was the white hair... no idea. But I did manage to find a new place to work. Lots of help doing this from co workers and friends. When I finally retired this "new person" somehow got in on the act when I applied for a part time job at a local college. She made sure somehow I did not get the job. At the time I was furious, and was going to take action. However it turned out to be a godsend. There was violence at that workplace and I might have been right dab smack in it. You never know.

Honored Contributor

On 1/22/2014 twopeas said:

Yes, I have. A co-worker. I finally followed this simple rule: "Hold your friends close and your enemies closer". She is now my best friend. We are both retired.

Good for you two peas. I haven't had it until recently--also a coworker--fellow sales rep on my team. She's delusional, I don't trust her, and she's always out to get me trying to manipulate things. It's tiring.

I don't know if I follow that simple rule though…When someone is so borderline, I don't think trying to "hold her closer" would work. I'm glad it worked out for you. lol

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

I work in my husbands firm three days a week [he is a partner in the firm] We try to keep it quiet until a women who somehow found out about it started trouble and tried to get me fired because, of our relationship. It backfired on the women because, she herself was fired for another reason [karma works perfectly]{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

I think every office has one or two insecure people- trying to make a name for themselves HOWEVER they can. CYA is the best way to handle these situations. I tell my kids all the time 'high school doesn't end in 12th grade!'

Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2014 ibb38 said:

I think every office has one or two insecure people- trying to make a name for themselves HOWEVER they can. CYA is the best way to handle these situations. I tell my kids all the time 'high school doesn't end in 12th grade!'

ITA ibb. But don't you think the CYA is so tiring. That's my take on it.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Occasional Contributor

I work with a very unhappy, obese, negative woman. I do feel sorry for her because she has many health issues, has never had children, etc. I would love to work around a healthy, happy, positive person in the "Perfect World" but unfortunately this is what I get to be around everyday. I've become mentally tough by realizing that she may be jealous of me and others. I pray for her but really it's getting so old I'm just so grateful I'm not her husband - poor guy!!

Frequent Contributor

On 1/23/2014 winamac1 said:
On 1/22/2014 twopeas said:

Yes, I have. A co-worker. I finally followed this simple rule: "Hold your friends close and your enemies closer". She is now my best friend. We are both retired.

Good for you two peas. I haven't had it until recently--also a coworker--fellow sales rep on my team. She's delusional, I don't trust her, and she's always out to get me trying to manipulate things. It's tiring.

I don't know if I follow that simple rule though…When someone is so borderline, I don't think trying to "hold her closer" would work. I'm glad it worked out for you. lol

Deeby, I feel your pain. Agree with winamac1-- very tiring. Trouble is these folks don't have a conscience or a barometer of right & wrong. Hope it gets better!

Honored Contributor

It sounds like jealousy and insecurity may be factors in some of these situations. It is like a witch hunt sometimes. I find it interesting when people say, "Talk to your manager, talk to HR". That usually only makes it worse.

Respected Contributor

This happened to me. I don't know if she WAS out to get me, or if it just FELT that way.

I eventually left the job.

She was intolerable, and was able to get away with it. That was the biggest hurt --the big boss let it happen. Not just me -- after I left the others who were being bullied kept complaining, and there were so many of them, the big boss had to take action or have a mutiny.

I felt some satisfaction when I learned the bully had left the organization. But I am still bitter.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Yes. And it has happened and continues to happen to two of my daughters, which is the same as it happening to me because it upsets me terribly.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986