Honored Contributor

Re: Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation

@JudyL wrote:

It's been quite a while since I used this foundation.  No particular reason just was using others that I had.  Used it today and wondered why the heck did I ever stop using it.  It is such a wonderful foundation, the color match done at Macy's is spot on, and I was reminded how much I love it.  My other 2 foundations are not favorites so I'm thinking that I will just use the Double Wear and not bother with any other foundations.  Also really like the Futurist Hydra Rescue moisturizer with spf by Estee Lauder. 

ULTA will have this foundation at 50% off this coming Sunday, I think, as part of their 21 Days of Beauty Sale.  I'll definitely be getting another bottle.  Love it when I can find a product that works so well for me - it doesn't happen often!

@JudyL   I don't wear a full coverage foundation, but any client I use it on, goes to the mall or orders her own. I stock a few light, few medium and several dark shades and then mix the color I need. They combine well and has been a favorite for years.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I agree about DW.  I think it is the perfect foundation.  If you want a different look you can add a glowy powder etc....

@chiclet  On a more dry skin, I add a bit of face oil to the moisturizer before application or "glow drops". 

Honored Contributor

I should try it again as well. I used it for years before, and then stopped and tried other products. I am very happy with RMS Foundation, and just ordered a refill-love the coverage I get from it and the look...I also like Il Makiage which I ordered on a whim, but ended up liking it a lot....I love to have a couple of good foundations in my arsenal! 

Honored Contributor

@lkat wrote:

@JudyL I always apply with a brush.  After I'm done applying my foundation and concealer, I take the flat end of a sponge and press it gently against my face.  It seems to help everything blend seamlessly together.

My favorite sponge to use for this is the Real Techniques Miracle Airblend Sponge which isn't as dense as most sponges. My new favorite foundation brush is the Rose and Ben C42.  I love the shape, it never leaves brush marks and all her brushes don't soak up product so they're very easy to clean and use less product.

@lkat - I used the DW this morning with a brush and it is great.  The brush gives me more of a fuller coverage so on days when I want a more sheer look, I will use a dampened sponge.  

Trusted Contributor

@JudyL I'm glad you liked it.  I think a damp sponge always gives a more sheer finish because the sponge absorbs more product than the brush.  I always use a brush because I need a lot of coverage, but I know a lot of people love using a sponge.

I found my favorite way to use a brush (especially if I'm mixing), is to put a small amount on a glass palette or small flat glass dish and then just lightly touch the brush to the product so that there's just a tiny amount on the brush. I pat it on my face until there's no product left and then pick up some more.

I used to put some dots on my face and then blend but I find I use much more that way for some reason.  I'm not sure if that works great with all brushes, but it works great with my favorite brush.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lkat wrote:

@JudyL I'm glad you liked it.  I think a damp sponge always gives a more sheer finish because the sponge absorbs more product than the brush.  I always use a brush because I need a lot of coverage, but I know a lot of people love using a sponge.

I found my favorite way to use a brush (especially if I'm mixing), is to put a small amount on a glass palette or small flat glass dish and then just lightly touch the brush to the product so that there's just a tiny amount on the brush. I pat it on my face until there's no product left and then pick up some more.

I used to put some dots on my face and then blend but I find I use much more that way for some reason.  I'm not sure if that works great with all brushes, but it works great with my favorite brush.

@lkat - I usually dot my face first with foundation then blend and do sometimes end up using more product than I need.  Using the BK Beauty 106 brush and like it a lot.  May try your way to see if it works better for me.  Thanks for all your suggestions!

Honored Contributor

@JudyL 

I wore this for years.  When my complexion turned into a desert, it no longer worked for me.  

Valued Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@JudyL 

I wore this for years.  When my complexion turned into a desert, it no longer worked for me.  

Same here. It worked for me until about 7 years ago. (Even back then, it could look dry and cakey if I didn't use enough moisturizer).

Valued Contributor

I’ve never used double wear but I saw a post on insta by a makeup artist, saying you can also mix it with serum for a more dewy look (she used an EL serum, it was an EL sponsored post) or with moisturizer for a lighter look. I was going to try with my Mac Studio fix next time and see how it goes.