Honored Contributor

I have to run to CVS or Walgreens for some nail polish, just a basic nude or shell pink color.  I want a no chip version but really only need it to last two days.  Which is better, Essie or Sally Hansen?

Honored Contributor

I don't have any experience with Sally Hansen, but I've been disappointed lately with Essie. I love their colors, but I've noticed that lately I've had a lot of chipping

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I’ve used Sally Hansen hard as nails and liked it. It’s been around for many years. I’ve never used Essie.

Trusted Contributor

I've used both and they both work well for me.  I guess Essie would be my first choice.

Super Contributor

Essie, I've had no problems.  It dries quickly and no chipping.

Respected Contributor

I used Essie previously and found that it chips easily.  My daughter uses Sally Hansen and likes it a lot. I have been using OPI lately. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch - Essie "Ballet Slippers"! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

I like both  ESSIE and SALLY HANSEN myself.  <G>

Check out what is available and pick a color you like. 

Sally Hansen has a  line named Complete Salon Manicure which is great. 

I have  #180 Debut-tint  which is a gold candlelight shade that is a nice neutral.    

Essie Ballet Slipper is what Queen Elizabeth wears often and Meghan M wore for her wedding day.  It is a very soft pink.  

Do let us know what you decide to try! 

Keep Calm and Polish On,    CAT

Respected Contributor

They're both good. I find how long my polish wears depends more on the condition of my nails and the base and top coats I use. If my nails are peeling or have issues, even my best polishes and base coat are no match for nature. And polishes that wear poorly with one base coat may work better with another. 

I can get almost any polish to last a week if I have a good base coat AND my nails are in good condition. Two days should be no issue with Essie or Sally Hansen if you have a good base coat, a good top coat, use 2-3 coats of color. It should last even longer if you cover the free edge of the nail, not just the top of the nail. Sinful and Chanel brand polishes, mattes, neons, and holographics are exceptions for me and will all chip more quickly, no matter what I do.

Respected Contributor

I like both. If I had to pick one it would be Essie.