Respected Contributor

I use Essie nail polish, almost exclusively.  I have natural nails and I find it works well for me.

I have a variety of about a dozen of the sheer pale pinks that they make.

Colors such as Spaghetti Strap, Sugar Daddy, Muchi Muchi, Ballet Slippers etc.

I recently found a few of my favorite colors at Marshells/TJMaxx and I am now wondering if they are 'counterfeit'!!

Although the consistent is great, they do not seem old or thick, they even have some of the new shades.  But I have to say, no matter what I do they go on streaky.  Ever one of them, the color is uneven or streaky!!!!!

I know this is a common problem for these colors, but after years of doing my manicures I have this pretty down pat.

Has anyone else noticed this when buying cosmetics at discount places?

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't used the polish but I am suspicious of many items sold in TJ Maxx. 

Honored Contributor

Why not call Essie CS, and discuss it with them?

Trusted Contributor

you can also go online & get nail polishes there's tons of them at sleekhair.com or beauty care choices.com  i shop at sleekhair.com for all my hair products sooo much cheaper.  was just at my salon & they want 16 for a hairspray i get it at sleekhair for 12.... spray gel salon wants 16 i get it for 11  check it out!!

Honored Contributor

I buy all my Essie, OPI, etc on ebay or amazon, never had any issues.

Respected Contributor

I have bought some and they were fine but one or two turned out to be more watery.

Esteemed Contributor

Ok, I just tried an Orly polish from TJM and it may be old cause it did not go on well at all.  Bubbled and has cracked.

I will probably not try another polish from TJM again given this bottle will have to be thrown out.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Why not call Essie CS, and discuss it with them?Great

Great advice.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor
They could have come from a batch at Essie that wasn't up to some standard. They could be older stock. I have bought Essie at CVS that did not apply well. I love their colors but their application varies. I think they change their formulations to allow for the colors and textures as well. Lots of chemistry is involved with nail polishes. It's not easy to get formulations just right.
Honored Contributor

There is a reason why well known products are sold at discounts stores.

"Pure Michigan"