Super Contributor

Nothing Else Metals--LOVE this color.  oh so pretty.  But, I can't figure out how to apply it.  IT goes on perfectly for the first 2 brush strokes, then on the 3rd or 4th it sort of picks up the polish already on and streaks funny.  Sorta like clumps up (gunks up may be a  better word?) and I can't brush it out like I do with other polishes. Anyone have this that can suggest how to brush it on?  TIA ~smiles, SnowKita   Oh, I'm using 100% Pure Basecoat.  Which I have  used with other metal polishes without this issue.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Essie metals

[ Edited ]

I got curious and looked up the color - it's gorgeous!

Here's what someone on makeupalley mentioned:

When I first saw this instore, I was so excited to try it out because the colour was just so gorgeous! It looks like a metallic-y lilac purple that would compliment my skin tone. When I applied my first coat, it was extremely streaky, but by the second coat it was opaque. However, apply the second coat was a pain because if I applied too much pressure, it would take off the first coat and cause an extremely rough texture. I suggest dropping a blob of polish onto the nail then slowly spread it out evenly to avoid the first coat being taken off. Also, the streak-y ness does go away after 30 seconds of application.

Here's the link; there were other suggestions too.

Super Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

I got curious and looked up the color - it's gorgeous!

Here's what someone on makeupalley mentioned:

When I first saw this instore, I was so excited to try it out because the colour was just so gorgeous! It looks like a metallic-y lilac purple that would compliment my skin tone. When I applied my first coat, it was extremely streaky, but by the second coat it was opaque. However, apply the second coat was a pain because if I applied too much pressure, it would take off the first coat and cause an extremely rough texture. I suggest dropping a blob of polish onto the nail then slowly spread it out evenly to avoid the first coat being taken off. Also, the streak-y ness does go away after 30 seconds of application.

Here's the link; there were other suggestions too.

I know--Gorgeous!  I'd describe as metallic-y lilac/silver. I'd only say purple b/c lilac is a light purple.   This is great info.  Thanks for responding.  I hope I can figure it out.

Esteemed Contributor

I have tried a million different kinds of nail polishes from very cheap to very expensive. I really have few problems with any, even Wet n Wild I find to be a pretty good nail polish but for some reason i have such a hard time wtih Essie. I find the first coat goes on great but after that, it just goes down hill. I also prep my nails so that I can get them to last a long time on me. I can get nail polish to last at least one full week without chipping. Even the nail tech at the salon I used to work at can't believe how long even really cheap polish lasts one me. I use a 4 sided board and lightly go over each nail to take the shine off. I find if I paint my nails when they are buffed to a high shine, the polish just doesn't laugh as long. After that I wash my hands thoroughly with Dawn dish soap or a soap that has no moisturizers in it so that the polish won't go over any of that or oils because that causes it to chip sooner. Then I take a cotton pad and saturate it with alcohol and go over each nail to make sure there are no oils or moisturizers left over. Then I do base coat and usually 2 (sometimes 3 depending on the formula). Essie is the ONLY nail polish I have used that leaves my nails streaky and chips quickly. I don't know what it is about it too because I really do love some of their colors. It drives me nuts. I got the Penny Talk from the metallic collection and I create an ombre look using Essies A Cut Above glitter polish. It is such a gorgeous look but I really wish I could find an exact dupe for Penny Talk because I hate the formula so much. It dries so quickly (which you would think would be a good thing) that when I go in for the second or third coat, it does what you are saying, it starts to pull up the previous coat and leaves a streaky or gummy look. I don't know if it is me and bodys pH or what but I wish I could figure it out. Here is a pic of the colors from Essie I am talking about. Also, I love that color of the lilac, it is absolutely gorgeous!

Essie Penny Talk & A Cut Above:

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

@SnowKita  While I don't have this polish, metalics (and some other finishes)tend to be a bit difficult. You might try it without a base coat. Use minimal brush strokes and don't go over the same area in an attempt to "fix" the application...need to get it applied quickly before it starts getting dry. I seem to recall mention of sponging on the second coat. From what read, it's pretty well pigmented. Maybe try one thicker coat? Good luck!