Honored Contributor

Re: Equate brand skincare - inexpensive knockoffs with great ingredient decks!

On 4/23/2014 tigriss said:

WalMart has some great clones, even of Clinique. I'll check them out when I pop into do my shopping.

BTW, WM is the only department store within 90 miles, so if I can get a better price there, I go, but if Amazon does, I have them ship it. I only get to a Target a few times a year. We do have a KMart, but it is the same as WM. We do have Dollar General dollar stores but those too are the same. Most place will pay minimum wages in rural areas, so we all do what we can do, even if that means supporting the enemy to support its workers, our community.

That's nicely stated, tigriss. It reminds me of an editorial I read in today's Los Angeles Times regarding the need for much more oversight and regulation of clothing factories in some countries. It was referencing the horrible fire in Bangladesh. The people there, including labor activists, vehemently oppose a boycott and instead fight for action to improve the conditions. If you're interested, HERE is the editorial. The two situations may not be identical, but it's still something to think about.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

On 4/23/2014 sweetkelly said:
On 4/23/2014 sciencegeek said:

Sorry. I don't shop at Walmart/Sams. Those low prices cost us <em>lots</em> because their workers aren't paid a living wage and most have to rely on EBT/food stamps.

I am sorry that WM doesn't pay a higher wage......I am. However, People do influence the types of jobs they are able to get. Don't blast me without considering. I have been a teacher for 24 years and most school systems do a good job. If WM is not meeting your financial needs go back to school, move, do something to have better opportunities. For the most part, we are captain's of our own ships.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Contributor

On 4/23/2014 jljm said:

Sorry. I don't shop at Walmart/Sams. Those low prices cost us <em>lots</em> because their workers aren't paid a living wage and most have to rely on EBT/food stamps.

I am sorry that WM doesn't pay a higher wage......I am. However, People do influence the types of jobs they are able to get. Don't blast me without considering. I have been a teacher for 24 years and most school systems do a good job. If WM is not meeting your financial needs go back to school, move, do something to have better opportunities. For the most part, we are captain's of our own ships.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Can't believe the first acknowledgement was a thumbs up! I am not a mean person, just so exhausted by seeing people not be what they can be in this world!
Esteemed Contributor

On 4/23/2014 tigriss said:

WalMart has some great clones, even of Clinique. I'll check them out when I pop into do my shopping.

BTW, WM is the only department store within 90 miles, so if I can get a better price there, I go, but if Amazon does, I have them ship it. I only get to a Target a few times a year. We do have a KMart, but it is the same as WM. We do have Dollar General dollar stores but those too are the same. Most place will pay minimum wages in rural areas, so we all do what we can do, even if that means supporting the enemy to support its workers, our community.

Great post. I try to support my local stores (and local jobs) as much as I can. These may not be the best jobs, but they are jobs and people still need them. If nobody shops at Wal-mart, etc., they will just lay people off more than they already have and then they have no job.

I do shop online too, but only for things I can't get locally. Plus, I just enjoy getting out to stores and looking around. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Sorry. I don't shop at Walmart/Sams. Those low prices cost us lots because their workers aren't paid a living wage and most have to rely on EBT/food stamps.

Walmart has created jobs for many people that were without. Do you not patronize any business that pays minimum wage? You really are out of touch with reality.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/23/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:
On 4/23/2014 BeckiWV said:

I haven't tried these items, per se, but I have used Equate face wipes that I like just as well as Pond Exfoliating wipes. I have also used an Equate knock off of an Olay Regenerist serum that was pretty nice too.

I have noticed that many Equate brand substitutes on Makeupalley.com get better reviews that some of the name brands that they dupe.

They really do seem to be quality products. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I think we are probably getting way off track here. I appreciate your opinion, but I'm also a teacher and am not a big believer in the "bootstrap" philosophy. There are way too many variables to rely on something as general "do something to have better opportunities" or "we are captains of our own ships."

IMO, we can't forget the good luck to have been born to a certain family in a certain area and the good timing of being in the right place at the right time. I feel that I and mine had that good luck and try to remember that there but for the grace of God go I.

The logical conclusion to the thought process that it's all up to the individual is not a pretty one, as far as I'm concerned. I hope we never embrace social Darwinism.

ETA: sweetkelly, for the record, I didn't infer any mean-spirit in your post. I just have a different view.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I think their Equate line is exceptional .... if you take things like cold remedies (Robitussin) or Zantac, their generic versions save you a TON of money.

Well, maybe not a ton .... but several hundred pounds. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Contributor

On 4/23/2014 suzyQ3 said:

I think we are probably getting way off track here. I appreciate your opinion, but I'm also a teacher and am not a big believer in the "bootstrap" philosophy. There are way too many variables to rely on something as general "do something to have better opportunities" or "we are captains of our own ships."

IMO, we can't forget the good luck to have been born to a certain family in a certain area and the good timing of being in the right place at the right time. I feel that I and mine had that good luck and try to remember that there but for the grace of God go I.

The logical conclusion to the thought process that it's all up to the individual is not a pretty one, as far as I'm concerned. I hope we never embrace social Darwinism.

ETA: sweetkelly, for the record, I didn't infer any mean-spirit in your post. I just have a different view.

hello fellow teacher friend! i appreciate your point of view as well. Go teachers go!!!
Contributor

On 4/23/2014 suzyQ3 said:

hello fellow teacher friend! i appreciate your point of view as well. Go teachers go!!!