Trusted Contributor

I know I'd avoid this new one that pulls hair from two different directions because I bought the first Epilady that was out in the late 80's. It pulled hair from various directions and my arms looked terrible when growing back as the hairs didn't lay flat anymore! Horrible! I kept at it, eventually finding another that pulled hair in one direction. It took a decade before the finer hairs grew one direction again. 

I have lots of areas on my legs that no longer grow hair at all, but it took a long, long time. My arms it is finer, but for some reason I don't have bare spots like my legs.

Honored Contributor

@sueinsf

1. Do you get ingrown hairs afterwards?

You can. Some areas are more sensitive to ingrown hairs than others (ie bikini line)

2. How long does it take before you have to use it again (3-4 weeks?)

Hair growth is at a different stages throughout your entire body. But to put it in perespective of just 1 hair, removing it today...you will probably see it again in about 30-50 days.  But in the meantime, you’ll have new hair in different areas to remove.

3. How much finer does the hair grow back?

Epilating doesn’t change the structure of the hair, so it doesn’t grow back finer.  It will ‘feel’ thinner vs shaving because shaving makes the hair blunt.  Epilating will allow the hair to grow back naturally, which tapers at the end.

4. Does the hair eventually stop growing back or do you get patches with no hair (and if so, how long does that take?).

No, the hair will continue to grow.  Age, hormones will thin the hair cycle over time.  Of course, lasers & electrolysis will permanently destroy the hair follicles.

5. Any difference using it on legs, arms, biking area, face (other than using 20 vs. 60 tweezers)?  

No difference.  Most epliators will have a plastic barrier, covering some of the tweezers, for sensitive face usage. 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@sueinsf

1. Do you get ingrown hairs afterwards?

You can. Some areas are more sensitive to ingrown hairs than others (ie bikini line)

2. How long does it take before you have to use it again (3-4 weeks?)

Hair growth is at a different stages throughout your entire body. But to put it in perespective of just 1 hair, removing it today...you will probably see it again in about 30-50 days.  But in the meantime, you’ll have new hair in different areas to remove.

3. How much finer does the hair grow back?

Epilating doesn’t change the structure of the hair, so it doesn’t grow back finer.  It will ‘feel’ thinner vs shaving because shaving makes the hair blunt.  Epilating will allow the hair to grow back naturally, which tapers at the end.

4. Does the hair eventually stop growing back or do you get patches with no hair (and if so, how long does that take?).

No, the hair will continue to grow.  Age, hormones will thin the hair cycle over time.  Of course, lasers & electrolysis will permanently destroy the hair follicles.

5. Any difference using it on legs, arms, biking area, face (other than using 20 vs. 60 tweezers)?  

No difference.  Most epliators will have a plastic barrier, covering some of the tweezers, for sensitive face usage. 

Thanks so much @sidsmom!  They say a lot of things in the presentations and I wanted to know how it really worked.  :-)

Respected Contributor

SueinSF, my experience is not with the current TSV, but with a 60-tweezer model sold as a TSV several years ago, so I don't know if this newone is better or not.  I'm not buying it, as the one I have still works as well as it ever did.  Now to your questions:

#1-no, I've never seen ingrown hairs where I've epilated, my legs and face.

#2-for me, I have to epilate every week on my legs, far short of the vendor hype!

#3-my leg hair grows back just as thick as it ever was, not finer at all.

#4-my hair keeps coming back in, I see no evidence at all of growth cessation.

#5-I only use a 60-tweezer version, with the "guard" on the blades when doing my face.  My model has a low and a high speed, and I use it on slow for my face.  I can do my cheeks and chin, but just can't manage the pain on my upper lip.  Thankfully, the hair on my face is very, very pale and fine, and I only epilate once in a great while, when I'm going to an event where I will wear makeup.  I do my legs on the high speed with all 60 tweezers, and I absolutely must do them once a week to keep ahead of the stubble.  I used to have to shave them every day if I was wearing stockings and skirts or dresses, I could only skip if I was wearing slacks or jeans.  I've never bothered trying to do my arms or bikini area (haven't gone swimming in years!), so I can't speak to those areas.  I can't even epilate my toes, I use the electric shaver attachment for my Emjoi to do those, so the mere thought of trying to do anything more sensitive gives me the shivers.  Hope this info helps, SueinSF.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I use an electric shaver @willdob3. I could never use a blade-type razor on my face. That would be so irritating!  I use this shaver made by Panasonic. It's the best thing for me to use to get rid of the fuzz. 

Panasonic Close Curves Wet/Dry Rechargeable Women's Shaver - around $20

shopping.jpg

I have a BRAUN 5280 Silk (discontinued).

I did purchase a Emjoi yrs back...but the comparison to the Braun model

was sosososo weak.  Turning on the Emjoi, you can ‘feel’ the motor in your

hand...and it just felt clunky.  It looked cute (!), but the quality wasn’t there.

I’m sure the Panasonic @SilleeMee recommended is Braun quality, as well. 

I wouldn’t recommend the Emjoi brand, no matter what the price.

That being said, I would HIGHLY recommend permanent hair removal.

Expensive? Yes

Investment? Yes

Hurts at the time?  Yes

Regretable?  Oh, H*ll, no. N.E.V.E.R

I got laser many years ago, but there are still strays popping up...and I use my epilator.  But hair is so sparse & fine, you don’t see or feel it.  Again, I would strongly recommend the permanent route, if you have the budget. Money well spent. 

Honored Contributor

My experience with epilating peach fuzz has not been a good one. Right after epilating it's fine but then the next day I started breaking out with tiny bumps where I epilated. I believe this was from ingrown hairs. I no longer epilate my fuzz....I use an electric shaver to remove my peach fuzz now. 

Respected Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

SueinSF, my experience is not with the current TSV, but with a 60-tweezer model sold as a TSV several years ago, so I don't know if this newone is better or not.  I'm not buying it, as the one I have still works as well as it ever did.  Now to your questions:

#1-no, I've never seen ingrown hairs where I've epilated, my legs and face.

#2-for me, I have to epilate every week on my legs, far short of the vendor hype!

#3-my leg hair grows back just as thick as it ever was, not finer at all.

#4-my hair keeps coming back in, I see no evidence at all of growth cessation.

#5-I only use a 60-tweezer version, with the "guard" on the blades when doing my face.  My model has a low and a high speed, and I use it on slow for my face.  I can do my cheeks and chin, but just can't manage the pain on my upper lip.  Thankfully, the hair on my face is very, very pale and fine, and I only epilate once in a great while, when I'm going to an event where I will wear makeup.  I do my legs on the high speed with all 60 tweezers, and I absolutely must do them once a week to keep ahead of the stubble.  I used to have to shave them every day if I was wearing stockings and skirts or dresses, I could only skip if I was wearing slacks or jeans.  I've never bothered trying to do my arms or bikini area (haven't gone swimming in years!), so I can't speak to those areas.  I can't even epilate my toes, I use the electric shaver attachment for my Emjoi to do those, so the mere thought of trying to do anything more sensitive gives me the shivers.  Hope this info helps, SueinSF.

Thanks much @CamilleP!

Super Contributor
Just my input- I got the bigger epilator tab last year. I like it a lot, specially on my underarms. I do get ingrown hairs on my legs, found that if I go back and forth in smaller sections instead of one direction, that helps. And definitely exfoliate.

I also had problems with hair growing back at different times and always feeling like I had to epilate every few days. I found a tip online, epilate, wait two weeks before epilating or shaving again. Do this 3-4 times to get your hair on the same cycle. I am trying that and it seems to be working.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I've been using the Emjoi epilator  for about two years.

The quality of the device is great. Better than some other brands I tried.

I have experienced good sized patches of hair on my legs and forearms where the hair doesn't come back. Kind of the same thing that happens if you continually over-tweeze brows. It took about 2 months of every week epilating to see some absence of hair.

The hair that comes back will look and most importantly feel finer. I haven't had bristly legs in months. In fact, I have to epilate  in sunlight now to even see regrowth. I no longer feel much of a sensation on my legs and arms when I epilate. 

I don't get ingrown hairs, but I'm not prone to them.

Esteemed Contributor

The Panasonic rechargeable shaver looks much like the one I use. I guess I'm one of the very few who bought an Emjoi epilator and have had no luck with it. I've watched the videos and re-read the instructions for use, but using it on my face was not the same. I found it painful and it just doesn't do what it's supposed to do. I went back to my rechargeable shaver for a few spots on my chin and each side of my upper lip. I'm probably using the Emjoi wrong, but it just didn't do anything for me.