Honored Contributor

Re: Epilating--what am I doing wrong?

@catwhisperer.Thank-you! Are you still using it?

Respected Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@catwhisperer.Thank-you! Are you still using it?

@CANDLEQUEEN....yes, still using it on my legs only. I do have to use my electric shaver after I use the epilator though. I bought it as a Christmas gift to myself, so have been using it nine months.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

It helps to epilate after you bath and exfoliate. That way the hairs are sort of standing up and the freshly exfoliated skin seems to make pulling out the hair a bit more easier. Epilation works best on clean, dry skin so that the hairs don't slip out of the tweezing blades. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

It helps to epilate after you bath and exfoliate. That way the hairs are sort of standing up and the freshly exfoliated skin seems to make pulling out the hair a bit more easier. Epilation works best on clean, dry skin so that the hairs don't slip out of the tweezing blades. 

@SilleeMee....that is when I use it, after showering. I read the instructions and followed them when I first got my epilator. I guess I was expecting too much from it. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Valued Contributor

I worried about the pain, but it isn't as bad as I expected.  It's much less painful right after a shower.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@catwhisperer wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee....that is when I use it, after showering. I read the instructions and followed them when I first got my epilator. I guess I was expecting too much from it. 

I would recommend not shaving at all because when you do, it cuts the hair at the surface and when it grows it will feel rough and stubbly.  I know this will be difficult to get used to but when you epilate the hair grows back softer and not stubbly. Try just epilating for a while and see if what I said is true. @catwhisperer

eta - I don't know how much hair you are dealing with but you might have to manually pluck a few or more hairs until they become less noticible over time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Epilating right after a shower is less painful and for the same reason plucking eyebrows is less painful right after a shower.

Epilating my legs has never been painful (though I don’t have much hair). The only thing I found to sting a little the first couple times was the armpits. Now they’re no big deal. The amount of time saved in the shower every morning not having to shave is priceless. LOL

Honored Contributor

Another thing about shaving during times of epilation...

...When you shave a hair it's gone from the surface but the root is still there. So the next time you epilate that hair which you shaved may not be long enough at the moment you epilate. The shaved hair is still there, a bit of stubble left and worse is the root is still there as strong as can be. Then you reach for the shaver and the whole process started all over again, leaving the root to stay the same.  Epilation will weaken the roots so shaving defeats that part of the process of reducing or eliminating hair growth altogether. @catwhisperer

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee...I wear shorts every day, so I worry about having stubble showing on my legs. I understand what you are saying though. Makes sense. Thanks!

Super Contributor

I find lower legs are less painful than the upper.  And I really think doing your arm pits are worth it.  That is very long lasting for me.  It will get better and better with time.