Contributor

So I recently bought my first epilator, and I have a couple questions for those who use one. 

I am noticing that my underarm hair is growing back quickly like I need to use it every 3-4 days under there. Granted I just started using this thing about 10-14 days ago so I may not be using it right. Does hair grow back that fast with an epilator? I was under the impression that it lasted for weeks. Does it take several weeks when you first start using one for the hair not to grow as fast or something? Or maybe I'm ripping the hairs instead of pulling them out...

Trusted Contributor

1) I always exfoliate in the shower first. The warm water seems to open the pores, making the hair come out easier

2) hair grows in different stages, so at first you may need to epilate more frequently until you get them all. Then you should be able to go longer between treatments. I usually epilate every 2-3 weeks

3) I try not to use any lotions etc for 24 hours after epilating so I do not clog the pores

4) I have been using Wen tea tree Replenishing Treatment Mist on any epilated areas to prevent ingrown hairs

Honored Contributor

It will take a while before you see results with an epilator.   I think it was 3 months before I noticed the hair on my legs began to thin out.  I love my epilator.  I use it 1-2 times a week.  Sometimes I shave to be sure I'm exfoliating.  I also use the same exfoliator on my legs as I do on my face.   Epilators are not a sure-fire way to reduce hair.  They pull hair out by the root and, over time, some of those roots die.  It depends on your hair as to how that works.  But that's why hair doesn't seem to grow back as much after a while.  

Respected Contributor

Do you ever epilate your neck and chin?

Respected Contributor

@tobes wrote:

Do you ever epilate your neck and chin?

I do use it on my chin. facial hair grows the fastest. I only have a couple, the rest disappeared and stopped growing back ages ago! epilating is a consistency game, keep it up and they eventually stop coming back!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Be aware that, dispite what the presentations suggest, we are all different. How often one will need to epilate is going to vary. A lot. It depends on your hair growth and the look you want.

I have been epilating my face (including chin & Neck) every day for over two years. I need to. I can't stand seeing any peach fuzz on my face and I see it every single morning. Other body parts on me require it less often. 

Epilating does not cause the hair to stop growing back. No matter what is suggested, if you find yourself with less hair, the reason is something other than epilating. 

Contributor

I used this for the first time on my face and now I am broken out some.  Has anyone else had this happen?

Honored Contributor

@suewags23 wrote:

I used this for the first time on my face and now I am broken out some.  Has anyone else had this happen?

@suewags23,

Yes! I break out if I epilate my face. I don't do it anymore because of that. A while back I had most of my facial hair removed by laser and IPL so what's left is the peach fuzz and I have been using a Panasonic trimmer to remove it. It does NOT grow back thicker as some might think. It's the only way I can get rid of my peach fuzz.