Respected Contributor

Enlarged Pores - what helps (besides Paula's Choice)

I never had larger pores until I hit my late 40s, they are not HUGE but I see them and it bothers me.
I have been using my clarisonic, Paula's Choice Cleanser, her Blancing Toner plus the Liquid BHA (I even use BHA9 on and bumps I get/have)  but it's been about 5 weeks and no improvement and actually I feel my face looks even shinier during the day when I use the liquid BHA. 

Anyways - I am not bashing the PC products, I do like her line but does anyone have any other recommendations?  I would love to hear them.

I am almost out of the PC so I'm looking to try something new soon.

Honored Contributor

Re: Enlarged Pores - what helps (besides Paula's Choice)

[ Edited ]

For me Retin-a and the occasional use of BHAs and AHAs. I also use a dermaroller and that probably has made the most difference.

ETA- When you look at why Retin-A was formulated in the beginning, it was made to help clean out pores so that it could help reduce acne. Retin-A also sloughs off surface skin cells and that helps to reduce pore size, too.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  Thank you!!  I do use PC Retinol product at night and I just picked up a bottle of Sunday Riley A+ I think it's called.  You know, I do have a dermarolled but I never use it, hummm maybe I should start using that!  I have a PMD I use once a week but maybe I need to rethink the dermaroller - Thank you for the suggestion

Esteemed Contributor

I have had good results with Dr.Deneses Facial Firming Pads. Hopefully, they will work as well for you. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

BHA's (salicylic acid) are better for cleaning out pore than AHA's.  Paula's Choice BHA 9 didn't do a thing for me.   It's expensive, thick, ans sticky.  I went through two vials - money down the drain.  Believe it or not, good ol' Stridex Maximum Strength Pads have been a great addition to my routine.  I've recently added the Isomers Oxygenforce Mask to my routine too - allowed myself to be talked into it on a recent visit when there was a duo for a good price.  I'm doing that 2-3 times a week, as directed.  Normally, Isomers doesn't impress me, tried several products and they just didn't do much for me, but I have to admit, I like this mask.  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

I use the Stridex Max, too. After going around the block several times with various brands of BHA products, I came back to the Stridex pads. They work and they don't cost much.

Trusted Contributor

@SandGirl  I can relate.  I've had oily skin and enlarged pores since adolescence--and I'm waaaaay beyond my teen years now.  I started using Rimmel Stay Matte a couple of years ago and I love it.  It leaves your skin feeling velvety and is perfect under makeup.  I also use Retin-A but can't say that it has helped my pores.

Rimmel is inexpensive (translation:cheap) and easy to find at any drugstore.  It won't cost you much to give it a try.  I use the untinted one.  Hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

I think I don't understand some of the responses.  Speaking for myself, I notice enlarged pores when I'm not cleansing my face thorougly.  The debris enlarges the pores.  I don't use harsh cleansers or astringants anymore.  Olay Regnererist Detox Facial Cleanser is what works for me.  It's a balancing act, it's a scrub so I don't want to use it daily.  If I wash my face with it 3 times a week, it gets the job done.  I used a Clinique Pore product before the Olay, it was over $20 and it didn't work any better than my Olay.  

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl  Skinn has many product for pores and I am finding that Consult Beaut has a charcoal cleansing towelette that seems to make my pores smaller as well as Serious Skin Care Glycolic Cleanser.  I altermate on the products I use.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I think I don't understand some of the responses.  Speaking for myself, I notice enlarged pores when I'm not cleansing my face thorougly.  The debris enlarges the pores.  I don't use harsh cleansers or astringants anymore.  Olay Regnererist Detox Facial Cleanser is what works for me.  It's a balancing act, it's a scrub so I don't want to use it daily.  If I wash my face with it 3 times a week, it gets the job done.  I used a Clinique Pore product before the Olay, it was over $20 and it didn't work any better than my Olay.  

Thank you.  I cleanse twice daily with Paula's Choice, I use my clarisonic and I use a toner and BHA liquid, my face gets thorougly cleansed  :0