Super Contributor

Elta MD SPF 41 - is it only available in "tinted"?

I've heard about this product here on the boards, and I'm willing to give it a try based on the excellent reviews. However, I can only seem to find the SPF 41 available in the tinted formula, or else unspecified. Does anyone know if Elta offers this formula in clear or non-tinted? For those that use it - is the tint really that noticeable?

Edit: I went ahead and ordered the tinted formula on lovelyskin.com. It was only $21 with free shipping! I figured that wasn't a bad price to try it out.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Elta MD SPF 41 - is it only available in ""tinted""?

Yes, the EltaMD SPF 41 comes tinted. However, they have other products that aren't. Check out the link below. They may not be all physical sunscreens like the SPF41 though, some may be a combination of physical and chemical.

http://eltamd.com/sun-care/

The tint doesn't bother me (I'm usually a medium in foundations). In fact, without the tint, I'll look ghostly pale like I'm sick when I use physical sunscreen.

Super Contributor

On 6/29/2014 summer said:

Yes, the EltaMD SPF 41 comes tinted. However, they have other products that aren't. Check out the link below. They may not be all physical sunscreens like the SPF41 though, some may be a combination of physical and chemical.

http://eltamd.com/sun-care/

The tint doesn't bother me (I'm usually a medium in foundations). In fact, without the tint, I'll look ghostly pale like I'm sick when I use physical sunscreen.

Thanks for responding, summer! But yes, I was asking specifically about the SPF 41 because it's important to me to only use physical sunscreen. I have mild rosacea that flares up sometimes when I use chemical SPF. Thanks for your description of the tint - hopefully it won't be a dealbreaker when I try it out for the first time.

Super Contributor

EltaMD UV Clear BROAD-SPECTRUM SPF 46

I started using it this season and like it.

ETA: 9.0% transparent zinc oxide

Super Contributor

More info on Elta 46:

High-purity niacinamide in this oil-free sunscreen helps calm and protect sensitive skin types prone to acne, rosacea and discoloration. Very lightweight and silky, it may be worn with makeup or alone.

• 9.0% transparent zinc oxide
  • Antioxidants help absorb free radicals
  • Calms and protects acne-prone skin
  • Leaves no residue
  • UVA/UVB sun protection
  • Fragrance-free, oil-free, paraben-free, sensitivity-free and noncomedogenic
Super Contributor

Irish - I wish I had read your posts before ordering the SPF 41! Oh well - if I like the performance of the 41, I can always order the 46 sometime in the future. How long would you estimate that the 3oz size lasts if used daily?

Frequent Contributor

On 6/29/2014 Colonel Meow said:

Irish - I wish I had read your posts before ordering the SPF 41! Oh well - if I like the performance of the 41, I can always order the 46 sometime in the future. How long would you estimate that the 3oz size lasts if used daily?

If you're looking for a physical only sunscreen, you should stick with the SPF 41 because the SPF 46 is a combination of both physical and chemical sunscreen.

Active Ingredients: 9.0% Zinc oxide, 7.5% Octinoxate

Super Contributor

If you're looking for a physical only sunscreen, you should stick with the SPF 41 because the SPF 46 is a combination of both physical and chemical sunscreen.

Well, THAT stinks! They promote it with a high zinc content and save the octinoxate for a following page. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

eta: Sorry, Colonel Meow! Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

Good to know, summer, thanks again! I have to admit that I'm often confused about the differences between chemical/physical, and often overlook ingredients unless the packaging specifically states it is "physical". The only reason I was drawn to the SPF 41 was because I had read on the boards that it was physical. I really should be more savvy about ingredients, especially because I've had problems with SPF products in the past.

Super Contributor

Irish - no worries! I appreciate the time you took to find a product that you thought would work for me.