Honored Contributor

Re: Electrolysis -- Yes or No

@Desertdi wrote:

My ma had it done many years ago.    It all came back when her hair turned gray.......

It wasn't the treated hair follicles that grew hair.  It was different follicles that grew gray hair, probably stimulated due to menopause.  

Trusted Contributor

I've had it done three times.  I have several chin hairs that are impossible to tweeze.  They're like tree stumps and will not be pulled out.  So far, I am very pleased.  I've had those done and have her do what she can for the rest of the peach fuzz. My chin feel so soft when she's done.

Super Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for your responses.  I'm going to give it a whirl.  Since it is a small area, it shouldn't take too long, although, perhaps I'll decide to have other areas done as well.  Have a great day!

Honored Contributor

A big YES from me. But I urge you to be patient. Even a small area can take many, many appointments because of the growth cycle. Your goal is to destroy every single hair follicle where you need to. Your electrolysis can only hit those with hair that is present, not those who are "resting" at the time.

I had my chin and upper lip done, and it took about two years. But don't worry. After the initial few appointments, you start to go less frequently.

I can't say enough about how much this procedure has given me peace of mind. I was becoming an obsessive tweezer and causing damage to my skin.

And remember, electrolysis still remains the only PERMANENT hair removal procedure. Best beauty-related money I've ever spent.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

i had it done years ago .  i had 8-10 sessions over two months.   a hair or two pops up sometimes and i tweeze.    well worth it .  during trearments, you can't tweeze, you cannot be smooth.  have to let the hair grow and my tech said if it was troublesome to have the hair to cut the hair to a quarter inch so she could see where to use the needle to zap the follicle

LOL - that was the hardest part for me.

I *knew* the hairs were there and I'm one of those people that - if I know they are there I keep touching them. I could also see them. So I'd cover the hairy area up with a lot of foundation between appointments and practically tie my hands together to not touch them!

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates  @CatsyCline

Yes, you can't tweeze during treatment. But my electrolygist said that it's okay to snip with a scissor as long as you do it a few days before the next appointment so that there's something to grab. So that worked well for me, who had become so tweezer-obsessed.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I have preferred laser hair removal over electrolysis because it's quicker and larger areas of can be treated at one time. But not all skin and hair colors can benefit. Electrolysis may be an only option for some people.

Super Contributor

I like the dermaflash.  Not permanent hair removal but provides a nice exfoliation.  Pricey, maybe, but it sure takes care of the fuzz.

Contributor

The units sold for home use seem to have terrible results in the long term. Yet various sites continue to sell them as the deal of the day as well as constantly on their websites, and while written descriptions of results are carefully worded, the hosts and presenters certainly promise the moon.

The no!no! PRO Complete Hair Removal Kit  is currently offered on one site for $289.95  + shipping and tax. You get the no no and a few blades, cord and case.

I have horrendously thick Mediterranean hair. Even though I kept reading the terrible reviews, I felt the unit must have been upgraded or improved in some way, otherwise, who would continue to offer a machine with such reliably poor reviews?

The site has 237 reviews that average out to 2.0 stars (which the-product page clearly states). Another beauty site has 118 reviews averaging 1.5 out of 5 stars.

I gave this machine one year---legs--from hips down, face, underarms, and arms. I did everything exactly as instructed, even called customer service a few times to ask for suggestions.This took an enormous and (foolish) commitment of time.

At one point, some hair growth seemed to slow down, but at the end of the year, there was absolutely NO change in any area of my body,

Offering a product that currently received 237 reviews averaging 2.0 stars for $289...well, it is hard to know what to say about this item being offered over and over for decades  with such continually poor reviews.

One beauty site claimed:  "Buyers should also be aware that the unit tips burn out, and need to be replaced about twice a year. ".

About 4 years later I tried the me elos system, which pulses the hairs. It was sold with a generous 90 day trial. Again, I carefully read instructions, wrote to users online, and called the company for help.

Once more, some hair thinning seemed to take place, but NO, the end results after 90 days left me with not one hair removed, and, worst of all, the hair on my cheeks actually grew considerably thicker and longer. Customer Service told me it was my imagination. Not in before and after photos it wasn't.

This result was not surprising since a similar technology was offered for hair growth on the head, using a "helmet" that pulsed to stimulate follicle growth.

Has anyone had VERYlong term results with any of these machines? I know they are not guaranteed to be permanent---though when a host begins a presentation with:

"How would you like to never have to shave any hairs on your body ever again?--oh, perhaps for a stray hair or two that may appear?", it does bring pause...

Honored Contributor

@JBSH. Back when I did electrolysis, I also used a depilitron machine which was supposed to remove hair permanently without pain.  I would hold a hair in a tweezer-like instrument and send radio frequency down the hair shaft where it would zap the hair bulb and the hair would just slide out.  This method over time created a scar in the  hair follicle the same as electrolysis and the hair would not grow back.

Some women had great luck with this method and some had no luck at all.  I noticed that by just using this machine on clients, the long dark hair on my arms went away and never returned.  The current must have passed into my arms unknown to me at the time.

i have tried the NoNo once or twice.  I noticed that it burned the hair off at the skin line.  There Is no way this would lead to permanent hair removal.

i think we have to try different methods to see what works best for us on a individual basis.  We are all different and nothing works on everyone.