Super Contributor

Has anybody had electrolysis?  I have a small spot on my jaw line that drives me crazy.  It's difficult to tweeze, I burned it trying to wax, and at this point I'm considering electrolysis.  Please share your experience, how many visits, and anything else you would be willing to add. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Electrolysis -- Yes or No

Oh yes, many many years ago.

Best thing I ever did for myself as I had quite a lot of fuzz on my face. I used to go about once a week and could take a 40 minute treatment at the most. Sometimes it takes more than one zap to a hair folicle to kill it but when it's killed, it's killed; the hair does not come back.

Sounds like your area is small so I'd think a few visits over time would do the trick. Sometimes you get the hairs all zapped then wait to see what grows back, or what was dorment and is now growing out.

I have no idea anymore about how much it costs but for me it was worth every penny.

Valued Contributor

I also went for electrolysis many years ago. Depending on the amount of hair you want removed determines the number of sessions. I'm very glad I did it since the hair never grew back. I also don't know the price because it was so long ago.

Honored Contributor

My ma had it done many years ago.    It all came back when her hair turned gray.......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Twenty years ago, I had some light hairs on my neck (low hairline)  - and had electrolosis a few times. I still have some - as I didn't go often enough. Now I have several blonde hairs on my chin area - and I've realized that I need to get that done. A little painful - but not bad. Worth it. It's always good to google names of doctors - and check them out on Yelp. I'm sure there are differences between each.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I have for years. I go seldom now, but hormones kick in and new hairs erupt sometimes. It's not like the other lady said old hairs don't come back although it can take a few times for the hair to be eradicated, I would not do anything else on my face. Here in SoCal it's around $25 for 15 minutes, but it's cheaper if you have 30 minutes. 

Trusted Contributor

Not doctors, Electrologist. My friend is one

Respected Contributor

i had it done years ago .  i had 8-10 sessions over two months.   a hair or two pops up sometimes and i tweeze.    well worth it .  during trearments, you can't tweeze, you cannot be smooth.  have to let the hair grow and my tech said if it was troublesome to have the hair to cut the hair to a quarter inch so she could see where to use the needle to zap the follicle

Honored Contributor

I went  many years ago.  Yes! Yes! Yes!

I was mugged and I was thrown to a cement curb face first. The surgeon stitched my face back together but my one eyebrow had hair growing in different directions and did not look like my other eyebrow. He was a plastic surgeon and he wanted to make the scar be less noticeable as possible. 

So a woman I worked with, told me about her Electrolysist. I went about every 6 weeks for about 2 years and then a touch up every 3 months another year or so. She was wonderful. She shaped my eyebrows so they look similar and made sure the hair that was going in weird directions was removed. I have not had to tweeze or shape my eyebrows since. I am thrilled with the results. It took awhile but I felt it was well worth it.

Honored Contributor

I used to do electrolysis.  I can tell you that it does work.  It will take many sessions and it is on the expensive side.

Here are some tips for you.

if you are plucking the hair, stop.  Instead trim close to the skin or shave for about two months.  This will allow the hair to grow to the skin surface.  About a week before your first appointment, let the hair grow out so the tech can see it.  This will insure that the maximum amount of hair will be treated during the first visit.  

This method will save you time and money.  If you pluck, your hair will be at different stages of growth. You will often see new growth right after a session.  This is why we must pluck often.  It's takes 4-6 weeks for one plucked hair to be visible again.

Chose a technician with experience,  electrolysis can leave scars if not done correctly.  I often see women who have tiny scars on their chin or upper lip that I recognize as electrolysis scars.

if you have a low pain tolerance, take an OTC pain medication about 30 minutes before  your session.  Some people find the pain just a tiny bit uncomfortable and some people find it very painful.

if you have dark hair and a  light to medium skin tone , professional laser treatments might work for you.