Honored Contributor

Re: Eczema or Something Else

@winamac1 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

Do you have this? Can you have this without itching? I thought this is what I have on my face but I'm not sure. I was reading info. & looking at pics on eczema, psoriasis, rosacea but still not sure what it is. I have dry red splotchy patches on my cheeks & a little lower & forehead. It does not itch, no bumps, no pimples. I was using Beekman facial wipes when all this started. I bought a tube of Aveeno Eczema Therapy moisturizer that I used on my face the past 2 days. It made the dry patches slough off my face. The areas are still red with a little dryness with 2 places that were worse are drier.

I have had eczema and dermatitis all of my life.  You have to make sure you use nothing with fragrance in it.  Cereva is line that most dermatologists recommend for eczema.  You can find it at CVS.  I'd not use Beekman facial wipes.  They probably have some fragrances in them.  

Also, you may ask a derm for a mild steroid like elidel to get it under control.  Then, you could switch to fragrance free cereva.  Cereva also makes a lotion for babies with no added anything in it.  You may want to try that.  Good luck.  The itching I experience is beyond annoying.  I've tried everything.  

EpiCeram is something a Dr. can prescribe.  It has some efficacy comparable to mild steroids without it being a steroid.  You should make sure your insurance Co. covers it.  Mine did.  I paid $15 for it, and it probably is $200 without coverage thru a prescription plan.  I"ve read that data, and it's fairly remarkable for not being a steroid.  I use it on my back to help control itching.  It's a prescription but it's not a steroid that can cause atrophy.  

Good luck!

So can you have Eczema without itching? If that's what it is would you have it other places on your body? I have not had this on any other part of my body. What ever I have it does not itch. When it was more irritated it would burn some & was fire engine red. If it's still there end of the month I will have my doctor look at in since I have an appt for my thyroid medication refills. It sure looks a lot better after using the Aveeno. I did not want to use it. It has petrolatum in it but worked better then anything else I tried. 

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

you really should go see a derm. Anything you are going to use on it to try to make it go away could end up making it worse since you have no clue what it is you are dealing with. And Please don't try an anti-fungal unless you see a derm first BAD idea. 

Too late for that. I have already used Sovereign Silver Gel & Tea Tree Oil on my face which both helped. 

I was going to make an appt to see a Derm but my sister told me I probably have to get an appt thru my regular doctor for Ins to pay for it. I need to check with my Ins to see how this works. I have never seen a Derm before. I don't really want to but if my doctor cannot help & it does not go away I don't really have a choice.

Honored Contributor

@Nadine wrote:

I had pretty the same thing happen to me a while back. I felt that I had messed up my skin barrier . I went to walgreens and bought Vnicream cleanser and lotion and it cleared up pretty quickly. You might try it for a few days and if it doeant improve see a derm.

Sounds like you had a reaction to the facial wipes.

A derm recommended the vanicream a few years ago when I had a skin reaction. I used the vanicream lite ..

I have used Vanicream products. I think I have a bar of the Vanicream soap. I'm sticking with the Aveeno for now since it's the only thing I have used that really helped. 

Honored Contributor

@sharlee wrote:

OP, if you can't clear this up on your own with a few mild, safe OTC products, you should see a derm.  Mine told me (albeit it was some years ago) that it can be tricky even for a doctor to tell the difference between psoriasis and exema.

BTW, an anti-fungal will not do anything for psoriasis or exema, because they aren't fungi in the first place - that's like expecting antibiotics to help a cold virus.

I hope it was just a reaction to the products you were using, and that you are able to clear it up shortly.  Best of luck!

Well maybe I don't have either since I have used Sovereign Silver Gel & Tea Tree Oil & they seemed to help. Both are anti-fungals.

I hope there was no problem or something in those unscented goats milk facial wipes Beekman sold that everyone was complaining about the sour smell. This started after I used those daily for a couple of weeks. Hopefully if my reaction is from the wipes it's from the lactic & malic acid. I did rinse my face after I used the wipes. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

Do you have this? Can you have this without itching? I thought this is what I have on my face but I'm not sure. I was reading info. & looking at pics on eczema, psoriasis, rosacea but still not sure what it is. I have dry red splotchy patches on my cheeks & a little lower & forehead. It does not itch, no bumps, no pimples. I was using Beekman facial wipes when all this started. I bought a tube of Aveeno Eczema Therapy moisturizer that I used on my face the past 2 days. It made the dry patches slough off my face. The areas are still red with a little dryness with 2 places that were worse are drier.

I have had eczema and dermatitis all of my life.  You have to make sure you use nothing with fragrance in it.  Cereva is line that most dermatologists recommend for eczema.  You can find it at CVS.  I'd not use Beekman facial wipes.  They probably have some fragrances in them.  

Also, you may ask a derm for a mild steroid like elidel to get it under control.  Then, you could switch to fragrance free cereva.  Cereva also makes a lotion for babies with no added anything in it.  You may want to try that.  Good luck.  The itching I experience is beyond annoying.  I've tried everything.  

EpiCeram is something a Dr. can prescribe.  It has some efficacy comparable to mild steroids without it being a steroid.  You should make sure your insurance Co. covers it.  Mine did.  I paid $15 for it, and it probably is $200 without coverage thru a prescription plan.  I"ve read that data, and it's fairly remarkable for not being a steroid.  I use it on my back to help control itching.  It's a prescription but it's not a steroid that can cause atrophy.  

Good luck!

So can you have Eczema without itching? If that's what it is would you have it other places on your body? I have not had this on any other part of my body. What ever I have it does not itch. When it was more irritated it would burn some & was fire engine red. If it's still there end of the month I will have my doctor look at in since I have an appt for my thyroid medication refills. It sure looks a lot better after using the Aveeno. I did not want to use it. It has petrolatum in it but worked better then anything else I tried. 

I have eczema.  And it itches.  Derm recommended Cetaphil. What you described sounds like contact dermatitis.  You may have a a reaction to those wipes.

Generally, people with eczema symptoms suffer from dry, sensitive skin. Eczema is also known for its intense itch. The itch may be so bad that you scratch your skin until it bleeds, which can make your rash even worse, leading to even more inflammation and itching. This is called the itch-scratch cycle.-The National Eczema Assoc.

Esteemed Contributor

Signs and Symptoms of Eczema

• Dry, sensitive skin
  • Intense itching
  • Red, inflamed skin
  • Recurring rash
  • Scaly areas

• Rough, leathery patches
  • Oozing or crusting
  • Areas of swelling
  • Dark colored patches of skin

From the National Eczema Assocation

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

Signs and Symptoms of Eczema

• Dry, sensitive skin
  • Intense itching
  • Red, inflamed skin
  • Recurring rash
  • Scaly areas

• Rough, leathery patches
  • Oozing or crusting
  • Areas of swelling
  • Dark colored patches of skin

From the National Eczema Assocation

I have the dry, sensitive skin, red, inflamed skin, seems like it's coming & going + scaly areas with none of the other symptoms you listed but no itching.

I guess it's most likely not eczema even though from pics it looks like it could be a very mild case. I need to stay away from AHA's & BHA's. For some reason my skin cannot tolerate them if that's what's going on.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

I think that it's a good idea to have your doctor check it when you go for your appt.

I was reading about contact dermatitis, and you can have a reaction wherever you used the product, that was irritating to your skin.

ETA: For example, if you used a product on your face around your forehead, cheeks, and chin, and then your face later got red and irritated and inflamed in those areas, that could be a reaction.

So, I'm wondering too if the wipes didn't just irritate your skin with the ingredients in them, in some way.

I have really sensitive and allergy-prone skin. 

I can't use any products with AHA's or BHA's in them on my face, either. No lactic acid, either. A Derm. told me to not put any kinds of skin care products containing those acids on my face.

I use cleansers on my face that are the most gentle that I can possibly find. Sometimes I will even use products made for babies. 

Honored Contributor

@KateChopin wrote:

Try using an over the counter anti-fungal.

O/P could be allergic to that.  Many fillers and often colorings and fragrances are in those.

I'd go to a derm or use an OTC hydrocortisone.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I have had both eczema and psoriasis all my life. Both of mine itch, but the psoriasis sometimes does not itch as much.  I have not had it on my face but tend to get it on my fingers, nape of neck, and scalp. Over the counter products did not help at all.

My derm prescribes a special hydrocortisone cream for my hands and a clobetasol solution (burns like heck on open patches) for my scalp. Both work well for me. She also had me on a prescription shampoo that was great but was discontinued so she suggested using T-Sal shampoo once or twice a week and that has kept it away for the most part.