Respected Contributor

Easy Nighttime Skincare Routine for woman over 50

I am pretty pleased with the appearance of my skin but I know I should be doing more during my nighttime routine to slow the effects of aging. 

Right now my day time routine is a daily exfoliater in the shower, vitamin C serum under a moisturizer with hyaluronic acid and SPF.

At night all I do is a double cleanse. 

What other simple steps should I add?  I have a retinol but I have been reluctant to use it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Easy Nighttime Skincare Routine for woman over 50

Me too. I'm very pleased with the appearance of my complexion at 73. I quit layering or a complicated routine over a decade ago.

In the evening I cleanse well with a gentle drugstore cleanser - usually Neutrogena or Cerave. Then I apply my retinol cream to face and neck. One layer and done. I've used Amara Beauty 2.5 percent retinol with hyaluronic acid and vitamin E for 8-10 years. Works for me!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@ninjawife  If you are noticing fine lines, you could ease in using the retinol (1 or 2 days per week to start). Add a moisturizer and/or skin oil (for beneficial nutrients) on top.

Just read where it is suggested that one should boost their skin care at night because it is a time when cells regenerate and where blood flow is increased (hence skin ingredients work better). But it is important to get enough sleep, as well.

Honored Contributor

Retin-A will slow the aging process and it can replace many other anti-aging products. RA addresses most all of the signs of aging and you are never too young to start using it. All you really need after that is an exfoliant (maybe), a moisturizer and sunscreen. 

Honored Contributor

#

@Harpa 

one should boost their skin care at night 

Absolutely.     

Night time is when one should really apply the good stuff and let your restorative hours of sleep boost the product's efficacy.

efficacy.

Honored Contributor

I would say to start using the retinol.  As @SilleeMee said, ease into it.  Maybe twice a week for a few weeks, then add another night.  The only other thing I can suggest is a good moisturizer - whether or not you use the retinol - doesn't have to be expensive just one that works for you.  The drugstore or Target or Ulta - whereever you shop - would have good less expensive night creams that you could start with.  Neutrogena makes a Hydro Boost that I hear is good, CeraVe has a PM moisturizer that is good, La Roche Posay has good moisturizers - these are just suggestions to look into.  Good luck in your search!

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

#

@Harpa 

one should boost their skin care at night 

Absolutely.     

Night time is when one should really apply the good stuff and let your restorative hours of sleep boost the product's efficacy.

efficacy.

@monicakm  'Lately', I've been wondering [more] about what to use at night, since it goes to reason that our bodies heal at night. (Who doesn't beneift from a good night's rest?)

Which is why I've added vitamin C at night, too. Skin vitamins are A, C & E, so I just make sure they are part of my nighttime skin care.

(Thanks for the nod of agreement!)

Honored Contributor

For me, the most important thing is looking closely at my skin and determining what it needs that day or week. 

Every morning is a splash of cool water to cleanse or if I see a residue of moisturizer from the night before, a mild non-sudsing cleanser. Foamy/suds can mean sulfates which are drying to skin just like it is to hair. I then procede to Vit. C serum, a lightweight moisturizer and my spf which has moisturizer in it. Then a rich eye cream. That's it for morning. I may exfoliate w/ an acid pad if I see any rough patches.

At night, I double cleanse with an oil cleanser (face and eyes) and then a gentle one (same as morning) to be sure all makeup and spf is removed. Then every other night is Retin A prescription .1% that I started at the lowest dose at least 35 yrs. ago. The other nights, in winter, I apply a heavier moisturizer and sometimes seal it in with an oil...marula or jojoba.

Each season, I do an at home acid peel and 3 times a year, I do the OBAGI SYSTEM that has 4% hydorquinone (have to get from my derm) to fade darker spots and exfoliate. The system includes cleansers, exfoliates, the hydroquinone, spf and a Retin A. The products are numbered andl ined up on my counter. That will be all I use for the 6 weeks instead of my usual skincare.

I do have several moisturizers to be able assess what my skin needs. On makeup days, a lighter one (Bobbi Brown Vit. Enriched) which is also a primer. I have heavier ones or balm textures when skin is very dry. In the summer when skin's not as dry, lighter moisturizer is good for my skin and I use my Retin A more often at night.

I do stay with products I like and do not switch or purchase new ones very often. If it isn't broke, why fix it? Many women have an arsenal of skincare products and never give each of them long enough to see results...sometimes 3-6 months is necessary to judge. Retin A can take a year.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Retin-A will slow the aging process and it can replace many other anti-aging products. RA addresses most all of the signs of aging and you are never too young to start using it. All you really need after that is an exfoliant (maybe), a moisturizer and sunscreen. 

@SilleeMee   Yes, those are the steps that most derms recommend.

Super Contributor

@Shanus I am one of those women with an arsenal of skin care products. I am so impatient that I keep getting convinced that another brand has all the answers. Reality is I am getting older and so is my face. I am going to sort through and try to pick something that is going to be affordable in the long run and try to stick to it. Thanks for ur advice, I don't think I have ever given a brand 6 months or even 6 weeks!!!