Esteemed Contributor

Simple, cut it even shorter and just do it.  It does not take that long and when it comes in won't be damaged.

Or get a head start with chemo 😂.  Works too.

Respected Contributor

Going gray was my "COVID Project".  Last time I colored my dark brown hair was end of Feb. 2020.  When we went into lockdown I decided not to color cause I wasn't going anywhere.   I am now fully grown out and my hair has turned out nice.  I get lots of compliments (mostly from men!)  and it feels so good not to have to worry about roots showing after 3 weeks of coloring.  My hair is a basic bob cut chin length maybe a bit longer.  I am 67 and thought I would do this when I turned 70 then COVID hit and I thought why wait?!  My hair is silvery aroung my hairline and the rest is mostly salt and pepper.  You just don't know what it will look like till you do it. My hair stylist was even impressed and said, "People pay big money to get your color!".  That was something because she always discouraged me from going gray cause she thought I was not ready yet.  Just do it. And have some patiience.  To be honest,  I would love to keep my hair dark brown but NOT by dying it every 5 weeks so...welcome gray!

Respected Contributor

Because of the cost, I don't have my hair colored as often as most.  I go 10-12 weeks between cuts/coloring, so I have a good inch or more of a skunk stripe going on.  I am 63 and I'm afraid if I see myself all grey, I won't recognize myself - I will just look so old.

My hairdresser ran a lot of highlights thru my hair last time and this does help to hide the regrowth, but when I go so long, there is no where to hide.

I'm sort of in the same dilemma as you, I would like to go grey, save the $$$, but am I ready to see myself all grey?  I don't know.  I like my hair chin length and it is straight with a layered bob so the grow out completely would be a good year, which is OK, I am just not sure I am ready.

Good luck - I think if it is something you are really sure you want to do, you'll do it!!

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Trusted Contributor

Well, I've decided to go for it.  I'm going to ask my stylist (she's fabulous) to my hair cut super short, do a big bleach on the remaining 1-1/2 inch long hair and color it a silver-gray shade in keeping with my skin tone.  

What the heck? If I hate it, I'll go back to having it colored. I'm kind of silly excited to see how I look and feel. I'll post my results!

Honored Contributor

@Jk9 wrote:

Glad to see this discussion.  Thinking of going gray soon but I am concerned about my scalp showing thru as I have a lot of thinning on the top of my head.  And I don't think I will have a pretty shade of gray.  I bought a gray wig to accustom my self to seeing gray before I make the plunge.  My mother had black hair and she went all in when she decided to go gray and we almost fainted to suddenly see her with white hair.  She did have lovely white hair and it looked good on her.

@Jk9   I would think the scalp would show less if hair was lighter (grey/white/silver) than a medium or dark shade....less contrast.

Honored Contributor

@cathysyd wrote:

I guess the easiest way is to just do it. I haven't colored my hair for months. I decided to stop when my daughter used an at-home color and had a reaction to it. I was coloring at home, too, but have decided to stop. It was around the time I was getting my COVID vaccines, so I didn't want to add another reason for my body to react to something.

My natural color is darkish brown, so my hair is kind of salt-and-pepper right now. To my surprise, I have had so many compliments on my hair since I've let the gray come in. People (my mom included) have actually asked me if I had it frosted, that it is beautiful, and that it is so shiney, especially in the sun. So maybe I will just let it keep going. Smiley Happy

The only downside I have found is that my hair is much more coarse than it used to be. I have heard that gray hair is course. I've actually been using the Beekman 1802 shampoo and conditioner and that has really helped with the straw-like feel.

Hope this helps!

@cathysyd   A deep conditioner at least once a week helps the more coarse feel/look. I use just drugstore ones like Shea Moisture and others. 

Honored Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

Well, I've decided to go for it.  I'm going to ask my stylist (she's fabulous) to my hair cut super short, do a big bleach on the remaining 1-1/2 inch long hair and color it a silver-gray shade in keeping with my skin tone.  

What the heck? If I hate it, I'll go back to having it colored. I'm kind of silly excited to see how I look and feel. I'll post my results!

@Quinny   I'm sure we're all excited to hear about the results. remember going grey is now a 'THING"....a movement....a statement. So many women are doing this, I see women going through the process giving eachother a thumb's up. 

Honored Contributor

Tincture of time

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Because of the cost, I don't have my hair colored as often as most.  I go 10-12 weeks between cuts/coloring, so I have a good inch or more of a skunk stripe going on.  I am 63 and I'm afraid if I see myself all grey, I won't recognize myself - I will just look so old.

My hairdresser ran a lot of highlights thru my hair last time and this does help to hide the regrowth, but when I go so long, there is no where to hide.

I'm sort of in the same dilemma as you, I would like to go grey, save the $$$, but am I ready to see myself all grey?  I don't know.  I like my hair chin length and it is straight with a layered bob so the grow out completely would be a good year, which is OK, I am just not sure I am ready.

Good luck - I think if it is something you are really sure you want to do, you'll do it!!

@jellyBEAN   You definitely have to be ready to see yourself grey and make the committment.There are a few Youtubers w/ videos about what to expect going grey, the transition process, etc. Nikol Johnson and MrKongsMom is another to seek out.

Honored Contributor

I went thru chemo 9 years ago and lost all my hair --it was a medium brown with dark blond highlights ,  but stopped any coloring after it grew back--- with alot more grey than my med brown was before chemo---now there is more grey--a very nice grey/silver in with the med brown and have been told i should never do any color on it as  it is what people pay alot of money to duplicate--- so be it---am over dying my hair anyway.