Valued Contributor

I wonder if there are products already at hand which might work together as an Eyelid Primer?  Maybe 2-3 items can be mixed to create the similar effect of 'grabbing' the eyeshadows and prolong the colors?  I love eyeshadows & blending but don't want to buy yet another targeted product to get the desired effect.

Any DIY product mixers out there?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: EYELID PRIMER OPTIONS?

[ Edited ]

I don't know of any mixer tricks to create your own eyeshadow base.  There are some beauty bloggers out there who will say that you can use cornstarch to set makeup, but the cornstarch used in makeup powder is not the same one would buy at the local grocery store. In other words I wouldn't follow the word of any of those people.  

You can keep looking for a home formula, but you may be best served by just buying a ready made cosmetic product which has been tested to be safe for the eye area.  I started using an eyeshadow base so long ago I can't remember the year, but it became an additional product I do not mind having to purchase every few months.  

Honored Contributor

@BSurLife65 - Like @Trix , I've been using a primer- Laura Geller's -for a long time and I'm a big fan.

There might be something out there, but I would be really careful about mixing your own. You are working with your eyes. The primers made for this are already tested and approved. Other ingredients might cause problems. 

Honored Contributor

@BSurLife65  I use Perricone No Eye Shadow Eye Shadow which isn't really an eye shadow but smoothes out the eyelid and is an excellent primer.  I would think that if you use good eye shadows that are either waterproof or long lasting the color wouldn't wear off with or without primer.   

Regular Contributor

Good Morning!  I am going to tell you about this product and the line. It is called Bravon beauty. Bravon Pascua was the #1 makeup artist for Bare Minerals. for years.He left them and started his own line. He started his line in 2015. And it is going strong. His makeup line is used by the makeup artist on the view and a few other shows. His line is fantastic and growing fast. And quite reasonable. He always has a skincare line. All of his products are cruelty free and have been labeled as vegan. His products are made in the USA. Except for his brushes which are made in Germany. I am going to post the link for the eye shadow primer. But right now it is sold out and is expected to be in stock in May.

https://bravonbeauty.com/collections/eye/products/magnetic-eye-primer

If you purchase anything from his line, you will not be disappointed. He is so passionate about his line.

Honored Contributor

@BSurLife65 wrote:

I wonder if there are products already at hand which might work together as an Eyelid Primer?  Maybe 2-3 items can be mixed to create the similar effect of 'grabbing' the eyeshadows and prolong the colors?  I love eyeshadows & blending but don't want to buy yet another targeted product to get the desired effect.

Any DIY product mixers out there?

@BSurLife65 no one here knows what items you have in your beauty arsenal to mix together.  IMO, it would be bothersome to me to have to mix 2-3 ingredients every time I was doing my makeup. Fussing to get the consistency and quantity right wouldn’t be worth the effort or aggravation. Plus some things that are fine for your face may not be recommended for you eyelid area.  Eyeshadow primer isn’t all that expensive and so little is needed that buying it is worth it to me because it’s made for the job at hand and the pot/tube lasts a long time.  That said, if you have a matte cream eyeshadow in a pale neutral shade, you could use that as a primer prior to applying powdered eyeshadow.  

Honored Contributor

@BSurLife65  - After blending my undereye concealer with my finger or brush, I take what's leftover and rub it over my eyelids.  The eyeshadow tends to stick well over the concealer.  This seems to work for me.

Valued Contributor

@San Antonio Gal  

First, thanks for your alternative primer suggestion. I have a skin-tinted dense Eye Cream (Origins), 2 powders from Bare Minerals, and LG Spackle. My idea is to try combining 2 or 3 as a eye makeup primer; I don't wear eyeshadow every day and I just bought a small Urban Decay palette of neutrals which don't show up or stay (they claim their Primer is 'necessary' for best results). I resent this sales 'trick' thus, I want to use what I have on hand. I think if one product is necessary for another one to be effective, they should be sold Together (Urban Decay!)

SECONDLY -- thanks to everyone for your input and ideas; I know the eyes require extra caution with products, but I already own a few things made specifically for the eye area. (I've seen LG's Eye Primer in the past but not lately). I have the BM powder concealer and Well-Rested -- if I figure out some combo that works I'll be sure to post it.

THANKS AGAIN......Great responses, you're all so generous with your time & energy.

Trusted Contributor

I just use Urban Decay eyeshadow primer. Works great, unexpensive and lasts forever. In fact, I try to get it in the small size because it does last so long.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

A poster on these boards recommended WetnWild eyelid primer. It's only $6. It works GREAT!

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.