Esteemed Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@mare54  The bar soap actually lasts me about 6months so it is cost effective. 

@maestra, The soap is long lasting, but I'm assuming @mare54 was referring to how incredibly expensive Lazlo seemed to us back in the 1970s.  From the beginning, it cost about $200 for a complete regimen, and you have to understand at that time most of the  high end prestige skincare brands didn't sell $35 cleansers.  You could have a complete facial at Adrien Arpel (same Adrien who is on TV as Adrienne Signature Club A now), or Janet Sarten for about $50.  By today's standards $35 for a cleanser doesn't seem outlandish for a quality high end brand. 

Respected Contributor

@Trix  I do remember how expensive EL was in the 60's. I had acne and my mother looked into a treatment regimen which was estimated at $150.00.

We didnt have  $15.00; I eventually was sent to a derm, who helped greatly, but even that was at a great sacrifce to my mother.

The $150.00 a month today would be at a great sacrifice to me. I use expensive products, but they also last a long time and dont aggrivate my skin issues.

Valued Contributor

I used Erno Laszlo back in the 80's when I was in my late teens/early 20's.  My skin was. a mess - extremely oily and acne prone.  I had actually done two courses of Accutane but didn't want to do a third.  I actually don't remember how I discovered Erno Laszlo but I talked my mom into it and she bought the system for me.  I remember there was one little shop that sold Erno Laszlo and you had to be a "member."  Well to make a long story longer, the transformation of my skin was nothing short of miraculous!  I remember rubbing the bar soap on my face and then splashing my face with very hot water 30 times.  I believe there was some kind of toner as well, but what really helped my skin were the "shake-ups."  Shake-ups were a powder suspended in some kind of alcohol solution.  There was a white one that I wore at night and a skin-toned one that was worn during the day in lieu of foundation.  These made such a difference to my skin turning it from oily to beautifully toned and much less oily.  Also, during the day, in addition to the shake-up, I was instructed to use this very thick face powder.  I would apply it with a cotton ball and then brush off the excess.  Looking at Erno Laszlo today, I notice the shake ups are gone.  I found some comments that they were discontinued due to the high alcohol content of their products and that alcohol isn't good for the skin, but my skin was flawless when I was using these products.  If they reformulated the shake-ups, I would definitely consider going back to Erno Laszlo.  While the products seem to go against all that is considered safe for the skin today, my skin never looked better than when I was using the complete Erno Laszlo system.  Interesting that the Q is now selling the line.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ERNO LAZLO ON Q NOW

[ Edited ]

@maestra wrote:

@Trix  I do remember how expensive EL was in the 60's. I had acne and my mother looked into a treatment regimen which was estimated at $150.00.

We didnt have  $15.00; I eventually was sent to a derm, who helped greatly, but even that was at a great sacrifce to my mother.

The $150.00 a month today would be at a great sacrifice to me. I use expensive products, but they also last a long time and dont aggrivate my skin issues.

@maestraPlease don't think I'm trying to criticize the price of Lazlo now or back in the 70s.  I'm also the last person who would criticize anyone for choosing a brand which works for them regardless of the price point.  Gee, I have enough products on my shelves from several of the prestige brands, and get facials and body treatments using products from the expensive Pevonia brand, so I'm not adverse to spending money on on good beauty. 

Price is only relative to the person whose money is paying the tab, and should never have to be defended whether one is willing to spend high, or due to circumstances-- or choice-- keeps it low. Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@Trix  Thanks for the understanding.

I use Perricone which is $$ but it works well for me.

Never fails that when Perricone is on the Q, the haters gonna hate.

I feel defensive about that.

Honored Contributor

Omg,  that's a blast from the past.  I used Erno Lazlo back in the 80's when I was a young professional.  Before the husband and kids came along.  It was very expensive at the time.  I remember my mom thought I had rocks in my head....lol