Honored Contributor

Dyson Super Sonic Hair Dryer

I saw this is going to be a TSV, it sells for $399 with free shipping. Is this a new model, also does anyone think it is worth the cost? I am really on the fence, $399 is pretty steep for a hair dryer (I don't think I have ever paid more than $100 for a dryer). I'm not good with my hair, I would hate to waste that much money on something I won't use.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dyson Super Sonic Hair Dryer

While I don't own one, my hairdresser has one she uses on her clients. It is the original Dyson.

She swears by it for only 1 reason and that is it cuts the drying time down by at least 1/2 so she can get clients with coarse, unruly, hard to dry hair out the door quicker. This makes her day more productive by getting clients in and out on time.

She uses it on my long, fine hair and I have a lot. I notice faster drying time but other that that, it's a meh for me.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SnowpuppyThat's pretty much what my stylist told me when the T3 came on the market years ago.  I never bought one because I don't have long, heavy hair that takes a long time to dry.    I understand completely why someone who is earning their living styling hair would want to save off minutes.  They can pick up extra clients with the time saved  and time is money in their business.

Honored Contributor

My DD is a hairstylist.  One of her coworkers has this dryer and loves it.  However, she admitted the only reason she has it is because it was a gift and that she wouldn’t spend that kind of money herself. 

I recently purchased Mario Cartier’s turbo dryer from hsn.  It’s powerful.  When I purchased, it included his shampoo and conditioner bundled with the dryer and all for $75.  

Trusted Contributor

I have the Dyson from a couple years ago and yes, it was $399. My hair is now short and curly so I let it air dry, when it was straight and long, I used the drier and it did dry faster. No magic involved, save your money...

Valued Contributor

I purchased Martino’s dryer too for $75 with the full size shampoo and conditioner. I sent it back. It made my hair a tangled mess and was just too heavy. It’s very similar to the Power Cloud he sold when he was with Amika. A powerful dryer but too heavy for me.
Valued Contributor

I purchased the Dyson when it first came out and returned it. It cut down drying time but not enough to justify cost. I bought the Dyson Airwrap for $550 and it’s worth every penny. Curls don’t stay in long but I get smooth, beach waves. If I want straight hair, I use the brush attachment and I don’t need to finish with a flat iron. I do use my Calista Faux Blo just to give volume but it’s a 20 second job. My Faux Blo heats up within 10 seconds and I do three sections - side, side, back. I haven’t used my straight iron or Perfecter since buying my Airwrap. I have long, color treated hair that is usually frizzy after drying. Not anymore! I’ve had my Airwrap just about 6 weeks and my hair looks and feels healthier. I believe there is truth about the Dyson technology and how it doesn’t overheat hair causing damage.
Honored Contributor

You would definitely be wasting your money. Dyson products are hugely overrated

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

From what I heard women with thick hair love it.  I recently purchased a T3 but a smaller model.  However, I noticed it dries my hair faster and doesn't dry it out like the hair dryer I was using so it was worth the $119 I paid for it.  It has 2 heat settings and the cool blast.  Love it.  My hair is normal weight.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Two stylists I work with like theirs   As others have replied cuts way down on time and more comfortable to use hours on end but most comment was how much quieter which allows for easier chit chat.  Definitely better hair care.

For me, personally, I can’t justify the price and hope it will get lower. Also, I would hate to make this investment and have a newer version show up.

Hope this helps.