Trusted Contributor

Re: Dyson Hair Dryer - Warning Label

I've lived in Calif. most of my life (do not now), and everything is labeled that way.  We never paid any attention to that.  You will even seen the warning sign on glass doors coming into stores.  It's ridiculous in my opinion.

Super Contributor

If you were in CA - you would not be able to buy much or go anywhere - because as others have said this warning is EVERYWHERE!

Honored Contributor

@kyreb wrote:

If you were in CA - you would not be able to buy much or go anywhere - because as others have said this warning is EVERYWHERE!

You can buy whatever you want and go wherever you want. It's a warning, not a ban. By law, it must be attached to anything that contains a substance on the list, even if it is in a product where it might not be of concern.

I'm a born and raised Southern Californian, and I am not at all bothered by any warning signs. And frankly, I don't notice them much at all.

Would people rather not at least be aware of substances that have some degree of toxicity so  that they can make their own informed decisions? I won't worry about a window that might have a warning, but I surely will about a beverage pitcher or a serving bowl that I might have otherwise used for food.

People on these boards complain almost daily about dangerous substances, so at least California is doing something about it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

Seriously? It's about the plastic in the cord. You don't have a cell phone because of the cancer risk, right? Just a little FYI:  Living is hazardous to your health. In fact, it leads to death 100% of the time.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess if you are charging mega bucks for a hair dryer you want the consumers to know as little as possible so they will open their wallets wide. But QVC isn't the only seller who does not disclose a warning label.

Respected Contributor

@TY wrote:

I guess if you are charging mega bucks for a hair dryer you want the consumers to know as little as possible so they will open their wallets wide. But QVC isn't the only seller who does not disclose a warning label.

Yes. Dyson doesn't disclose this on their website. Ulta, BB%B, Amazon doesn't disclose it either.

Respected Contributor

I bet a lot of newly manufactured hair dryers are being sold with this warning label. Maybe most of them.

Super Contributor

I haven't been to CA in years but if someone is young then they do need to limit their life time exposure to things that can cause tumors to grow.  

But when you are older (60s) and you have not yet gotten cancer, the risk decreases because chances are we won't live long enough anyway.  

I don't like that argument but it's been used on a family member by their doctor.  I'm not sure how long it takes tumors to grow.......some seem to be fast growing and very lethal while others don't.  

So in context to this conversation, it would be safe to use the Dyson dryer if you are at least 60 and never had been diagnosed with cancer.