Respected Contributor

Re: Dyson Hair Dryer - Warning Label

[ Edited ]

Thank you for all your responses.

I called the Dyson Customer Support for the product. 1-866-861-2814 for your reference. I spoke to Matt. He told me that the components are manufactured in Malaysia. This manufacturing plant manufacturers other items that are in direct conflict with Prop 65. However, none of this ingredients are used in the manufacturing of the components used for the Dyson Hair Dryer. It is just that there can be cross contamination of these products.

I also asked if there was some type of regular inspections of these plants and I was told that there was.

I remember in the last 2 years, I watched a expose on  Lumber Liquidators on 60 Minutes. 60 Minutes actually went to the plant where the flooring was made. Although, there were inspectors sent to these locations, the flagrant violations of rules went on, unnoticed or ignored.

Oh, I asked if these ingredients were specific to the cord and I was told, that he was unaware of this.

After reading some of your comments and talking to a customer representative from Dyson, reading a response from a Customer Service Representative from Dyson...I still don't feel that I have a transparent answer.

I welcome all your comments. Thank you.

Respected Contributor

No disrespect intended to the other responders, but what it "might be" or "could be" doesn't tell us what it IS.

The OP wants to know what in the Dyson hair dryer is causing Dyson to warn users to wash their hands after handling it. You may not feel that that warrants concern, but I do. We cannot know if this is governmental overreach or a prudent caution about a substance that should not be in a personal care product, especially one involving heat and moving air, and CA is just ahead of the safety game.

The only way we can know what Dyson is putting in its products is if Dyson tells us, and from my POV, Taneka of Dyson was being evasive with DogLvr. That's why I urge DogLvr to contact Dyson again and ask Taneka to specify which substance(s) on that 22-page list is or are in the Dyson hair dryer.

Honored Contributor

@CalMom,

I'm very glad that you got to speak with a Dyson rep. That tells me that you care and are concerned about our safety. Good for you!Woman Happy I agree with you completely about being transparent when it comes to product safety. Just wish there were more people like you who will speak up and ask questions like you did. Then maybe things will be more clear.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

No disrespect intended to the other responders, but what it "might be" or "could be" doesn't tell us what it IS.

The OP wants to know what in the Dyson hair dryer is causing Dyson to warn users to wash their hands after handling it. You may not feel that that warrants concern, but I do. We cannot know if this is governmental overreach or a prudent caution about a substance that should not be in a personal care product, especially one involving heat and moving air, and CA is just ahead of the safety game.

The only way we can know what Dyson is putting in its products is if Dyson tells us, and from my POV, Taneka of Dyson was being evasive with DogLvr. That's why I urge DogLvr to contact Dyson again and ask Taneka to specify which substance(s) on that 22-page list is or are in the Dyson hair dryer.

@noodleann  Thank you for your comments.  I just want to state that I was not the person who originally asked this question or was gifted the Dyson Hair Dryer on the Dyson FB Page. I saw this conversation and wanted to look into it as I am one of those individuals that is or was very interested in this product.

Esteemed Contributor

This warning label about California is on so many things. Seriously your not going to be eating the electrical cord. My sister once had a metal fruit bowl with this warning. It is so stupid.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday wrote:

This warning label about California is on so many things. Seriously your not going to be eating the electrical cord. My sister once had a metal fruit bowl with this warning. It is so stupid.

I don't know @ccassaday. Maybe that cord is mighty tastey. We could be missing something good...LOL! Just imagine...Dyson Cord-on Bleu...Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday wrote:

Prop 65 is rediculous. They make companies put warning labels on anything that hasn't been tested to prove that it doesn't contain a whole list of items even if none of those items are used in the manufacture of the product. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The California Prop 65 has over 800 types of chemicals listed on the dot gov website. Since this device is plastic, it's more than likely that the warning involves plastic which most are treated with some form of plasticizer (phthalate). I'm not stating that it is for certain the cause for the warning in the Dyson case. But most likely that is the reason for it. If you have any electrical cords in your house, then it can have this chemical on it. Just so happens that California put this chemical on their list of carcinogens and for many, this was an overkill.

overkill indeed......the warning label is EVERYWHERE in california......

at the entrance to grocery stores

at the entrance of restaurants

in hair salons

at gas stations

in department stores

in convenience stores

laundry facilities

pools

garbage areas

.....and the list could go on and on....

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@The warning label is not ridiculous...the fact that we are exposed daily even when manufacturers know these ingredients are harmful is ridiculous.I think that new product developed with health and safety over price would be better for us all.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@The warning label is not ridiculous...the fact that we are exposed daily even when manufacturers know these ingredients are harmful is ridiculous.I think that new product developed with health and safety over price would be better for us all.

@dex, I agree that Prop 65 is anything but ridiculous. I have read so much misinformation about it, here and elsewhere. A simple google will explain everything about it. I think such a regulation should be nationwide, but...um...that's not going to happen for now. :-)

The one problem that I see, though, is that Prop 65 doesn't mandate that a company list the offending substance or substances on the warning label. I imagine that companies at the time, who surely fought Prop 65 as being too expensive and too intrusive (their answer to ANY regulation that would help ensure our health and safety), drew the line at having to include the particular substance on the label.

I personally have no use for this hair dryer, but if I did, I would buy it. I'm more concerned with toxins that we might ingest or breathe in.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland