Honored Contributor

@itsmagic  You go, Girl. Grey Power!

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1   Yay!!! 😁

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1  I agree with you and I'm slowly letting my white hair grow in w/ highlights. I agree however that you can make a judgement for someone who wishes to not go grey and continue dyeing their hair. We're all individuals and have our own opinions. 

Respected Contributor

When I was a child in the 60's, I watched my mother experiment and bleach her hair with Lux Flakes and peroxide and later with the national brands of hair color. So, I color my own hair, too. A main reason I color my hair now is due to how people are perceived at my job. I went to a hair stylist for over 2 years who routinely cut my hair. I told her I was tired of coloring my hair so often but didn't like seeing some greys popping in, and she suggested highlighting using a cap. Well, she triple-booked that day and left the over-saturated product on my hair far too long. Part of what she had pulled through the cap broke off. I waited 2 1/2 months before coloring my hair and used various deep conditioners and argan oil. In the meantime, I used Joan Rivers' root touch up on my part...ROOT TOUCH UP ROCKS! I continue to dye my own hair a light brown and now occasionally have 6 foils of highlights along my part and 1 at the crown for the back by a new stylist to help hide any greys and prolong the coloring process. While I love JR's product, Wow has a better assortment of hair colors to match my roots and my highlights. As my mother aged, I colored her hair at home, as she enjoyed the pampering until her passing this summer.

Respected Contributor

I don't have gray hair or dark brown. Mine is more of a mouse brown if you know what I mean. So I highlight my hair approximately every 8 weeks. Do I enjoy it, no, but if I had to look at that mouse brown color everyday I'd go nuts. Plus the color gives my hair body and shine. 

I have seen women with gray hair and it does look good, but then some aren't as fortunate. What I mean is some gray is not attractive and does need a little help. When I do go gray, or white, I hope it comes in white. Knowing my luck I will get the flat gray, no shine kind. 

Honored Contributor

@Leeny  My friend's hair grew in a grey color she wasn't thrilled with & hairdresser put rinse on it to make it whiter & shinier. She now purchases it herself at Sally's Beauty Supply.

Esteemed Contributor

I do a root touchup once a week with half a box of hair color. My hair does not hold on to color at the roots very well no matter what I was and condition my hair with. Because it grows fast, and I color it a medium brown -- closest to my natural hair color at the roots, I just put up with the upkeep since I color my own hair. No way could I go 4 weeks between coloring.