Respected Contributor

I'm 62, and lucky with my hair color.... I don't have a lot of gray, and only color the hair on the crown.... although I think it's time to go lower in the back.  Even with dark brown hair, I only color every couple of months.... Should have done it this past weekend, but couldn't convince myself to.  Will do it in the next week or two.  My roots are about an inch long, but it's not solid gray, or even mostly gray, so only tall people would be able to tell!  Smiley LOL

Trusted Contributor

Reply to itsmagic, check out the website, "Going Gray and Looking Great".

Contributor

I have very dark brown/black hair with grays coming in.  I use Clairol Natural Instincts in an Auburn shade which show up like highlights.  It is temporary so I do it every 4-6 weeks- I use Wen so I only shampoo 2x/week.  For $6.99 it's a bargain and my hair stylist says I couldn't get a more natural look from her.  I get many compliments on it as well.  

Valued Contributor

A suggestion to all to help stretch out those days before doing root touch-ups w/dye which does help lengthen the time.  I use Joan Rivers "Great Hair Day" hair root powder to temporarily cover for the day those awful greys.  It really is a wonderful extra tool in the war against the "greys."

There are other knock-offs now to compete with Joan's miracle in a case, so I don't know how effective they are to use.

Honored Contributor

@Good4u wrote:

A suggestion to all to help stretch out those days before doing root touch-ups w/dye which does help lengthen the time.  I use Joan Rivers "Great Hair Day" hair root powder to temporarily cover for the day those awful greys.  It really is a wonderful extra tool in the war against the "greys."

There are other knock-offs now to compete with Joan's miracle in a case, so I don't know how effective they are to use.

When JR's product came out, it was the only game in town. I used it on my roots but it always ended up on my scalp, (which was the purpose of it, to cover the scalp exposed by thinning hair) covering my part.

Color Wow appears to be a similar problem but it actually clings to the hair, not your scalp.  For me it is far superior to the JR's product.  It's purpose it to color the roots and not the scalp.

Valued Contributor

I am the same most of the front hairline but do have strands mixed in the rest of head which is not as much as the hairline...I have brown hair and am 62...I am so fed up with dying my hair so on the 3rd i go in to get low lights and high lights and will tone them silver so i can let my hair grow out with out that ugly awkward growout stage......Cant wait!..I guess tho i will have to use a toner 1 x a month to keep the silver....I can use a rinse i hope at home.

Honored Contributor

@violann,   Obviously, you misread my reply.  I never said that you can't look good with colored hair rather gray hair women can never look good is what the author said and that is so untrue.  Yes, women coloring their hair look good but so do women with gray or salt & pepper.  What does not look good is hair damaged from over coloring it -- all dried out.  In your case, it is medical and I am truly sorry for that.  Wigs seem to be your best bet and I bet you look very nice. 

kindness is strength
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My natural color is very dark brown (almost black). By the age of 21, like the other women in my family, the white (not grey) hair started to appear at a rapid pace. The home coloring began and continued until I was 35 and 90% white. I could no longer get to the back of my head myself & the dark brown dye was getting on the ends making my hair much too dark. I started having it done at the salon & that continued until last yr. at 67 & I had enough.

Going all white after being brunette my entire life? Not ready yet. My hairdresser did heavy highlights in a light blonde & changed my base (root) color to a lt./med. brown. She uses a semipermanent color so as it washes out over several months, it becomes white & blends w/ the light blonde & lt. brown. When she re-colors roots about 3-4 months, she's using semiperment color again & may add a few more blonde highlights here & there. The goal is that in 12-18 mos., I stop covering roots, let the white hair come in at  roots and blend w/ light blonde until I'm all white.

It really helps that my hair is very curly & it's easier to hide the roots and the transition process. A lot of my friends who are going grey naturally, cut their hair very short to avoid too much difference in color. I personally think as long as you have an attractive style, it doesn't have to be cut off. Remember to adjust your makeup to your new haircolor. I'm quite fair & although foundation didn't change, I had to go easier on the blush and a little brighter on lipstick/gloss. 

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1,   I did not take it personally but rather an answer to a statement you made.  I see women with colored hair that look awful and gray hair or salt & pepper that also look bad.  However, it's all about how you take care of your looks.  Not by fancy clothes but rather light makeup as we age, nice haircut and how we carry ourselves.  In a nutshell, both women with colored hair and gray or salt & pepper hair can look good.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Of course.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan