Esteemed Contributor

What @cah said!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Dyeing Hair!!

[ Edited ]

PSX_20161227_081133.jpg

58 stopped coloring 5yrs ago. Promised myself that if I didn't like the grey would color. Two weeks ago chose new hairstyle one above. Fun thing with this style I'm not stuck with one look! Flat iron used to achieve this, wavy bob for another look. Thing with hair, We can change any color or style. There's no right or wrong way. Have fun!

Honored Contributor

I had very light blonde hair as a child.  Growing older it darkened but then I decided I wanted to go back to being what I was born --- blonde!  i have been coloring since and yes, it does get old at times.  I am lucky in that if I do get a little lax, my natural color is not so dark that the roots are very noticeable.  I have toyed with the idea of letting the color go to original -- which at this point -- who knows what it would really look like?  It is a mixture of gray and light brown, I think!  LOL!  But I am not quite ready to go there --- yet.  I can see it happening in the future though!  I am with you that it doesn't matter whether you color or remain gray as long as your hair is healthy and you feel good about it!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@QVCkitty1,  Do you actually think that coloring your hair makes you look nice and gray hair doesn't?  It's how you take care of yourself.  Your haircut style, the condition of your hair.  I have seen many women with gray or salt & pepper that look beautiful.  I have salt & pepper and receive compliments all the time.  I have a good haircut and my hair is shiny & healthy so please think again when you say that you don't look good if you have gray hair.  Cat Very Happy 

But your assumption that NO ONE looks better/younger/fresherwith dyed hair is by no means universally correct either.

I have an EXTREMELY old face, and have had it since I was a teenager. In the last several years I have lost an enormous amount of weight. I recently had miraculous vision surgery, and having my cheek and forehead clamped for some length of time left me with semipermanent creasing of the skin on the right side of my face. Throughout the years, I have been both hyper- and hypo- thyroid, and my hair is extremely thin, like fish line, and I have numerous bald patches.

I have an amazing stylist who can work miracles with a cut,  but in my case, miraculous does not equal "good". I lead a very healthy lifestyle but my hair is not, and will never be, healthy.

What looks better? A really expert color application. What looks best? My wigs. And when wearing them, I DO get compliments. I don't have to think twice. On me, an ash blond wig is a solution, not a fraud.

We must all make decisions that are right for us personally!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I have dark brown hair and have to color it every 4-5 weeks.  For a very long time, I was using medium golden brown.  But as I aged, I thought it was looking too dark, so I went with light golden brown.  Still very dark when first done, so I'm now using dark blonde.  The roots don't seem quite as obvious in contrast.  (I color my own hair).  My hairdresser has said that my gray will not likely be a pretty white like my mom's was.

Honored Contributor

My hair is dark blond/light brown.  I have my roots done every 3 weeks religiously.  In between from day 10 on, I use WOW on my roots.  It's a pain I know, but I will never go au naturel as I'd look like I had a squirrel on my head.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dyeing Hair!!

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl  I was where you are at back four years ago at age 57.  Cut off my longer dyed hair and let it grow out into its own natural silver white. I love it! I have been growing it out now for about three years. I wear it up, down , all different ways and get compliments everywhere I go about my beautiful white hair. Last compliment I received was from a 20 something  retail clerk... she said how much she wished she had my hair...... I am 61 now and love no more mess and fuss with worrying about roots any more.  My hair is natural and healthy for the first time in 40 years of coloring as I went prematurly grey in my 30's. 

JUST DO IT. Smiley Happy   Oh.... you are 63... not 23!  White hair is expected for the most part.  Nothing to be ashamed about.  Both of us are no longer spring chickens Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

My hair is dark blond/light brown.  I have my roots done every 3 weeks religiously.  In between from day 10 on, I use WOW on my roots.  It's a pain I know, but I will never go au naturel as I'd look like I had a squirrel on my head.

I guess a lot of us are going around with squirrels on our heads and LOVIN IT!!!

9314a06062931d62a8c0f938fe2e85f8.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with all of you. I've had this dark brown (almost black) hair with very fair skin and it looks just awful. I've had it colored blonde for years and years.  I ususally go every 6-8 weeks.  Recently I have been ill so it's been months now and you can see the grey and the the dark "roots" are down to my ears. What a mess. I think I have two more weeks and then it's getting cut and colored.

A few years back I tried a compromise coloring with highlights and low lights. It had more brunette than blonde. It was a nice combination but not for me. Now, the color did last longer but it just did not look good with my fair complexion.

I've been curious about the root touch up and those color compacts that are on the market but I'm so nervous about putting anything on my hair. Do they wash out or affect the coloring at the salon? 

My friend does the highlights and low lights coloring and it looks great on her. She has more of a medium skin tone and honey colored brown hair.

All I know is I want the grey colored and I would prefer it being lighter and not darker for me. I am not ready for grey hair.

Valued Contributor

If I quit coloring my hair, my hairdresser would have to file for bankruptcy; I just can't do that to her!

Seriously, every eight weeks - give or take - I get some combination of highlights and/or lowlights. If needed in-between, I use a spray root concealer. (Those work GREAT, btw!) I don't have a lot of gray, so for now this system works.