Honored Contributor

Re: Dyeing Hair!!

[ Edited ]

I was just online ordering my haircolor.  It can also be bought at Whole Foods.  I love it...it has lots of healthy herbal ingredients and colors grey if that is an issue.  It does not have ammonia and it is the only color (salon or self) that has not had negative consequences regarding the health of my hair.  There is no awful smell either and the colors are beautiful.  It took me years to get this right and I've been using it for years.  It is called Naturcolor.  I use it approximately every three - four weeks. My hairdresser who trims my hair regularly says to "not stop what you are doing with the color...it looks so natural". I save tons of money doing it myself and have never been as happy with my hair as I am now.  

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@QVCkitty1,  Do you actually think that coloring your hair makes you look nice and gray hair doesn't?  It's how you take care of yourself.  Your haircut style, the condition of your hair.  I have seen many women with gray or salt & pepper that look beautiful.  I have salt & pepper and receive compliments all the time.  I have a good haircut and my hair is shiny & healthy so please think again when you say that you don't look good if you have gray hair.  Cat Very Happy 

@Katcat1, Forgive me, I didn't mean that at all. I have seen some lovely women with gray hair. I was just speaking for me, I'm pale, and really light hair washes me out. I always joked that they would have to pry the dye out of my cold , dead hands. Really, I was speaking for myself, and maybe you shouldn't take it personally.🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor
Every three weeks . . .
Do the math.
Honored Contributor

I lighten my hair to camouflage the gray/white.   My natural hair is/was light brown.  I color it to a beige blonde. 

Roots aren't that noticeable and I only have to color about every six weeks.   

Honored Contributor

In my youth, my hair was almost black.  I started to gray when I was around 40 and colored it.  By the third week, I had a skunk stripe about an 1 inch wide.  There was 1/2 inch in each side of the part.

I also had to leave the color on for over an hour to get the color to process.  It was too time consuming for me.

So, I cut my waist length hair short and let the color grow out.  I have been salt and pepper,,,, silver and black since I have been 50,   I am now 62 and have never looked back.

People stop me and ask who colors my hair.  There are many, many women who love my hair color,  I always had people stop me when my hair was dark and natural too.

I volunteer at a school and the kids there sometimes ask my age.  I tell them.  Often I hear "you look younger than my grandmother and my grandmother is younger than you."

I often say "don't I look older because I have gray hair" and the kids say.  "No, old ladies who color their hair look like old ladies who color their hair."  They tell me that their mothers who are in their 30's color their gray hair too. KIds do not associate gray hair with old age.  I was surprised.

Whether to color or not is a personal decision.  Only you can decided if you're ready to stop.

You could also try to to go to a light brown or blond color.  The grays will blend better as there won't be a big contrast and you could color less often.

Valued Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@QVCkitty1,  Do you actually think that coloring your hair makes you look nice and gray hair doesn't?  It's how you take care of yourself.  Your haircut style, the condition of your hair.  I have seen many women with gray or salt & pepper that look beautiful.  I have salt & pepper and receive compliments all the time.  I have a good haircut and my hair is shiny & healthy so please think again when you say that you don't look good if you have gray hair.  Cat Very Happy 

I don't believe it is an either or question. If I could wake up tomorrow and it all be gray I would say yeah, but I am not gray enough, only on my part line and my hair is shoulder length and I am not cutting it off to turn gray. If I didn't color my hair I would look like a skunk and there isn't anything attractive about that.

Honored Contributor

@granny me wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

I don't believe it is an either or question. If I could wake up tomorrow and it all be gray I would say yeah, but I am not gray enough, only on my part line and my hair is shoulder length and I am not cutting it off to turn gray. If I didn't color my hair I would look like a skunk and there isn't anything attractive about that.

Well.... then you already decided.

Trusted Contributor

I have very dark brown, almost black, hair and have had white hair coming in since grad school, which has been a while. I'm still in my 40s, but I'm sick to death of coloring. I can't stay on top of the white unless I want to color every 3 weeks and use a root spray. That is just too much trouble and is harming the health of my hair. 

My scalp has been flaking lately, and I'm losing hair in the shower. The texture is weird because of the white hair and/or dye damage. I think I have to cut the chemicals.

I've considered wigs. I don't know what else to do. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

Love, I hear ya. I'm days away from 65 and I went so far as to buy a grey wig to see, am I gonna let it go? 

Nope, nope, nope.

So I did try Madison-Reed hair color because I started doing my own (salon is just so expensive) and I need ash colors which you can't find on the shelves of the drug store. They had an ash violet brown that is so perfect, my hair stylist compliments it. It's not hard to do and no, I'm not ready yet either. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Dyeing Hair!!

[ Edited ]

I stopped coloring my hair when I hit 50.

I'm 77 now and my hair is white in the front and salt and pepper in the back.

I was sitting on a bench one day last summer at a restaurant in the sun. A customer came up to me and told me that my hair was absolutely beautiful. That was the ultimate compliment from a complete stranger.
It's not the hair that makes you beautiful, it's what shines from
inside.

What was really funny was that the person who complimented was a man, and I'm certainly too old to flirt with!!!  When you get this old, those are moments to treasure!

That's how we roll in the shire..