Trusted Contributor
With salon closed, please recommend sue brand and tips to dye hair.
I have natural medium brown coloring grey. I suppose I will do my whole head compared to roots since I won’t get a perfect match.
Esteemed Contributor

Just be sure to process the roots only for the first half of the process time, then do the rest of the hair. The ends are porous and absorb more color. I use Clairol's grey busters medium brown, and it comes out perfect every time.

I use clairol's professional formula (small bottle), and 20 volume developer, You always  mix equal amounts of each. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Dye hair 1st time

[ Edited ]

I've been coloring my own hair for 4 years. I recommend Loreal Superior Preference brand. It's easy, it covers well, and is pretty gentle. Coloring your hair is easy. I usually section it, start at the roots, and then add to the rest of that section. I have thick, medium-length, wavy hair. If you have shorter hair, you may not have to do all that. Wear the plastic gloves that come with it so you don't end up temporarily staining your hands. After waiting the directed time and shampooing, I always put in a conditioner and rinse. There is a plethora of colors. I have dark blonde hair and use 8A (ash) to avoid a brassy look. Good luck and have fun! I bet it turns out lovely.

image.png

Esteemed Contributor

Im with @manny2  and buy a tube of Redken Color Fusion and 20 developer. I've watched my hairdresser enough! Good for root touchups.

You can get both on ebay.

Honored Contributor

Clariol root touch up is very forgiving

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

What about a powder for the few times you go out?

If I spent good $$ for a color, I would hate to mess it up with a

drugstore brand...they would have to correct any mistakes.

In the big picture, some root showing for a couple months 

might make more sense than the fallout cleanup with

an inexperienced home coloring.

51954528-8657-42E6-A389-3B9DBB55540F.jpeg

Trusted Contributor
Thanks for replies
I am do for a color in about a week (every 11 wks)
I might not be able to return til June. (Here in Ca) that might be 6 months I would need more than powder
Maybe if I like it I might continue , blessing in disguise (save a lot)
Honored Contributor

Personally, I would be hesitant to try this for the first time on my own without a Plan B for how to fix it if something goes wrong.   I would rather have my gray roots showing than deal with some odd color I don’t know how to fix.   

I used to work with several women who dyed their own hair.   One always went too dark, making her scalp look weird for the first 3 weeks.  

One had to wear turbans to work multiple times to hide her Skittles colors, and spend most of her shift calling salons and literally begging stylists to fix it.   Fixing the mistakes cost twice as much as a regular color appt, so she finally learned to go to the salon and forget do it yourself.  

Another coworker dyed seriously unhealthy hair (major health issue at the time), and the results were disastrous.   The only fix was her sporting the shortest haircut I’d ever seen on a woman.   

Honored Contributor

i do my own color and usually have one of my daughters put it on my hair. i purchase the colors that i like in whatever brand i have a coupon for.

i did notice though that my hairdresser has a post on her facebook page reminding everyone that color correction begins at $300! LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

@sidsmom 

Joan River's is good. But I now use Cover Your Gray Fill In Powder.

Bought at Ulta but you can find it online. $10-12

But, I canceled my color appointment on the 19th and soon, I will need more than powder!