Respected Contributor

How long have you been using the RA? If just starting, back off and then re-introduce by mixing with moisturizer and using every other day for a few weeks, then decrease amount of moisturizer until you don't have to use it anymore. I used to have combo oily skin, then it changed to dry, and now it's more combo dry but does get dehydrated, at times. A humidifier helps immensely in the winter months. I also use RA every other night, an exfoliating serum 1-2 nights a week. I also use a LOT of hydrating timers, oils, and moisturizing creams. The PC moisturizing cream in the purple tube and the Cerave night cream in the small jar are both fabulous. At night, I wash my face, wait 20-30 mins and apply my night treatment (RA or serum), wait 30 minutes, and apply a hydrating toner or sheet mask, then an oil, then a moisturizer, and sometimes an even heavier cream on top of that. Many of the products I use, both day and night, have Hyauluronic Acid in them. That has really helped me!! Also, ceramides (in the Cerave and some Isomers serums I use.)  Hope that helps!

Valued Contributor

@Katcat1 

Tretinoin, Rx known as Retin A, is scientifically proven to stop aging.  It does. There are mountains of peer reviewed medical research proving it.  I am not the OP, but there is no way I will ever give up RA.  It'll be pried from my cold dead fingers.  I don't do fillers or surgery, but I have used tretinoin about ten years.  I only wish I'd started it sooner.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.  Found the one on dehydration vs dry skin very interesting.

I use the lowest strength Retin-A at 0.25%.  I have gone down from the higher strengths.  The most I use it is every other day.  I don't have particularly sensitive skin, but I have used it for years and never got past all the side effects.  Maybe I have to go to every 3rd day even.  I have gone 1-2 weeks without it in the winter sometimes.

As to why I use it.  I am convinced it is an effective skin care tool along with a Vitamin C preparation.  Most dermatologists believe in it as effective for anti-aging.  I have always had good skin, and I'd like to keep it.  That's why I persist in using it!

I do exfoliation, so I don't think flaking is from that.

I appreciate all the suggestions!

Hyacinth

Valued Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

As to why I use it.  I am convinced it is an effective skin care tool along with a Vitamin C preparation.  Most dermatologists believe in it as effective for anti-aging.  I have always had good skin, and I'd like to keep it.  That's why I persist in using it!

I do exfoliation, so I don't think flaking is from that.

I appreciate all the suggestions!

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003, I've also been using Retin-A for over 15 years and am thrilled that I have because, for my skin, it's made a tremendous difference. But about 4 years ago, I decided to add in a Vitamin C product and my skin went berserk. Red, horribly dry and flaking, etc. I asked my dermatologist what was going on and she told me that many people's skin doesn't respond favorably to topical Vitamin C for myriad reasons. In my case, we discovered I have an allergy to corn from which ascorbic acid is derived. (Ascorbic acid is found in most topical Vitamin C preparations).  As soon as I stopped using it, my skin went back to its happy place and I continue to use retin-A every night with no problems. So, you might experiment by stopping the vitamin C product and see if that helps your skin. 

Honored Contributor

@sassenach1 wrote:

@Katcat1 

Tretinoin, Rx known as Retin A, is scientifically proven to stop aging.  It does. There are mountains of peer reviewed medical research proving it.  I am not the OP, but there is no way I will ever give up RA.  It'll be pried from my cold dead fingers.  I don't do fillers or surgery, but I have used tretinoin about ten years.  I only wish I'd started it sooner.

If your skin is irritated and peels off your face, it won't really matter what effect it has on aging, will it?

Fortunately, there's a happy medium between giving up Retin A and changing the way you use it.

I would back off the Retin A and use it less frequently.

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

My skin has become drier and sometimes flaky from Retin-A use, hormones, etc.

So I've taken to using heavier moisturizers to combat the feeling of too tight skin.  They help, but then I get breakouts.

You know how your skin almost hurts from dryness?  So then I use facial oils or heavy moisturizer to combat it.  Within a short time, my skin breaks out.

I am not sure there is anything one can do about this.  Anyone else?

Hyacinth

Hyacinth, when you started using the Retin A, did the instructions tell you to introduce it slowly, so that you started with once or twice a week and the built up? I used Retin A in high school for acne and the instructions were to build slowly, over a period of 3 weeks I think, check for irritation, and back off again if skin became too dry, flakey, etc.

Call the prescribing doctor and get some advice from her or him, but I think you'll need to back off and rebalance your skin, then start again slowly. Some people just can't ever use it once a day.

I agree with the others, the solution isn't more moisturizer, the solution is less Retin A. Figure out what your tolerance level is and don't exceed that.

Trusted Contributor

A light moisturizer and if you can take Spirolactone 50mg a day from your dermatologist your face will clear up beautifully and you can use your creams.........it is prescription. Great for adult acne but men can not take it as it is a slight hormone.

New Contributor

Breakouts usually occur because of the ingredients in the product you are using.  The great thing about organic moisturizers is that they are filled with what only comes from nature.  They just agree with your skin on all levels.  You should try LXMI  products.  They sell a moisturizing balm (sold on QVC and Sephora) that has one ingredient.  My husband even used it on his dry, cracking feet and the results were almost unbelievable!! Heart