Respected Contributor

Dry skin all over

[ Edited ]

No matter how much lotion I use, my body skin is getting drier and consequently itchier all the time. It's visually noticeable. I exfoliate, try different lotions and creams. Maybe this is yet another old age thing. FYI I don't have a medical condition causing this. 
Because I like goat milk soap as a facial cleanser, I decided to order some for my body. I'm getting a couple of bars of oatmeal and honey from Goat Stuff, a bottle of oatmeal and honey goat milk lotion from Legends Creek Farms, an almond scented soap bar and body lotion from Bend Goat Milk Co.-which has only four or five ingredients in their soap, first one being goat milk. I like that. Looked at Beekman products but seemed like a lot of  ingredients with goat milk being fourth or fifth. By trying different companies I'll see which ones I like the most. 
Have any of you switched to goat milk products and has your skin benefited? 

Harmonize the World
Trusted Contributor

@fairydogmother   Sorry I don't know why as I'm so dry/dryer/drier but find for me that I need to keep on drinking fluids especially water which helps a little bit - the moisturizers then seem to work better.  What you need I hope you find what works best for you.  

Respected Contributor

@colleena wrote:

@fairydogmother   Sorry I don't know why as I'm so dry/dryer/drier but find for me that I need to keep on drinking fluids especially water which helps a little bit - the moisturizers then seem to work better.  What you need I hope you find what works best for you.  

Oh for sure, drinking lots of water is important. Totally agree

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

I always had dry skin. When I was living in NYC one of the best dermatologists in the city told me to stop using soap completely. Use a organic baby shampoo for the whole body,

never use products with alcohol and limit exfoliating to a few times a month. 

It has definitely made a difference.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Dry skin all over

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother  I like to use Alpha Skin Care Revitalizing Body Lotion. Really hydrating.

Amazon sells it for $16.99 a bottle.

HTH

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother - I don't drink copious amounts of water daily but I do keep it available at all times. The amount I drink can differ day to day.  I don't keep track.  I just rely on my thirst to dictate my need.  According to a cardiologist I was seeing, the 8 glasses of water daily thing is a myth.  In fact, drinking too much water can dilute and deplete your electrolytes.  I like many kinds of soap; artisan bars, goat milk bars, Perlier bars and gel, even Dove bars and liquid.  I exfoliate and I use some kind of body cream, lotion, or butter morning and night. These are usually Alpha Skincare body lotion, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel Cream, or something from Skinn, Perlier or Tweak'd.  In addition to whatever I'm doing topically. I believe the inside out approach can be another route so I take an assortment of supplements that are good for the skin.  I live in the Midwest.  Summers are humid and winters csn be brutal.  My system works well for me.

I hope you enjoy your new soap experiment and find one you like.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother 

My dermatologist told me to do the same as @ellaphant to help improve my aging, dry skin. I gave up all of my lovely stash of high-end  scented washes, body lotions, and shampoos. I had switched to CeraVe because of it's good reputation for a drugstore product.  It only helped my psoriasis elbows, other than that still even dryer than ever.  Read the ingredients and saw multiple alcohols. So done with that. Then tried shopping the baby isle at the grocery store. I am now using Dove and Honest for both.body and hair wash, the kind for babies, unscented. Burt's bees face wash. I am using Aveeno and Eucerin body lotion for sensitive skin.  I ordered Josie's body butter TSV in unscented, taking a chance on that.  I miss my fancy schmancy scented items. Keeping it simple is working for me.  Also drink a lot of water as already mentioned.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I currently use products from Aruba Aloe - the most hydrating is all Alhydran for sensitive skin, but I have several others. 

Honored Contributor

I have dry skin all over and tried a million things plus supplements. Nothing helped. Then I tried Cerave cream with hyaluronic acid. It's thick but not greasy. I've been using it for 3 months and can tell a big difference in my skin.  

Esteemed Contributor
I found kind of a miracle worker with Gold Bond Healing lotion. Even diminished the creepiness on my arms. (I'm 74)
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt