Regular Contributor

Dry scalp and color treated hair

Can anyone recommend a good shampoo and conditioner for dry flakey scalp? I have wavy, frizzi color treated hair? Thank You!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dry scalp and color treated hair

Preferably go to a dermatologist. to ask if  :  Are you allergic to the brand of hair color  you use or do you wash your hair to often  or is something else  wrong.

Honored Contributor

Maybe ty an apple cider vinegar rinse?  Wash you hair as normal and rinse. Mix equal parts of ACV and water.  Slowly pour it onto your head.  Let it sit there a few minutes and rinse out.  It’s safe for color treated hair. 

Trusted Contributor

I have both...Was just at the salon.  My hairdresser suggested to me the following...by redken..."acidic bonding shampoo, conditioner and leave in treatment"  They also used this on me in the salon.  My hair is soooo soft.  Can't believe it.  It is great!!  I purchased it there (she gave me 20% off.  But you can also get it at the U store.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Happy2000twou wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good shampoo and conditioner for dry flakey scalp? I have wavy, frizzi color treated hair? Thank You!

@Happy2000twou   I'd heat some olive oil or other oil you have/like in the microwave, let it cool and after parting your hair in sections, brush it on your scalp or use a dropper. Put a plastic cap on so the heat of your head can help it sink in. Wash w/ a gentle, sulfate free shampoo. I would wash your hair only 2 or 3 times a week. Even the best shampoos are drying and strip the scalp of it's natural oils. ***If you use a lot of styling products or hairspray, you may want to try using a round, plastic scalp brush in the shower. It'll help loosen any buildup. 

Respected Contributor

@Happy2000twou  Some of the recommendations so far sound helpful and therapeutic.  I would add:  Use Wen to cleanse and condition.  Woman Happy

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

I don't have flakes but I do have a dry itchy scalp and color treated hair.  I use Fredick Fekkai CBD Calming Collection shampoo and conditioner.  It really helps with my dry itchy scalp and it is sulfate and silicone free so it is safe for color treated hair and helps keep frizz at bay.  

Honored Contributor

@Happy2000twou    The apple cider vinegar and water rinse is excellent.  I recently purchased a moisturizing shampoo PHYTO from Nordstrom -- excellent shampoo.

kindness is strength