Honored Contributor

Re: Dry, puffy, irritated under eye

[ Edited ]

A while back I had some skin issues where it was dry, red and inflamed. I wanted to keep things simple with the ingredients so as to not cause more problems. I decided to use jojoba butter because it contains vitamins which are good for the skin, it's naturally anti-inflammatory, antibacterial plus jojoba mimics skin's natural sebum for keeping things hydrated. The picture of a perfect natural healing product. It's soft, spreadable just like butter and you don't need much. This is what I bought from a third-party seller on Walmart dot com:

Jojoba Butter Unrefined Organic Virgin Expeller Pressed Raw Pure 2 oz

Jojoba Butter Unrefined Organic Virgin Expeller Pressed Raw Pure 2 oz

$6  and they shipped it for free. The company has a website, too, where they have free shipping as well. This stuff saved my skin in two days.

Respected Contributor

@ccassaday Good suggestions for some simple, basic things to try. 

I was using a Lancome cleanser that I loved. One day I noticed that my eye area looked so awful. Dry & haggard. Tried to moisturize it, but it didn't improve. I quit using the cleanser, that I had been using for quit a while & switched. In 2 days it was so much better.

I hope it is something that simple for you.

I did find that even cleansers that claimed to be for normal or dry skin were still making my skin dehydrated (And, Cerave products do not agree with my skin. Most people love the brand & I hope it is perfect for you.).

So just try one thing at a time, so you know if something is making it better or worse!

Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@ccassaday Good suggestions for some simple, basic things to try. 

I was using a Lancome cleanser that I loved. One day I noticed that my eye area looked so awful. Dry & haggard. Tried to moisturize it, but it didn't improve. I quit using the cleanser, that I had been using for quit a while & switched. In 2 days it was so much better.

I hope it is something that simple for you.

I did find that even cleansers that claimed to be for normal or dry skin were still making my skin dehydrated (And, Cerave products do not agree with my skin. Most people love the brand & I hope it is perfect for you.).

So just try one thing at a time, so you know if something is making it better or worse!

Good luck.

Thanks. Hopefully it was just the IT cleanser. I will switch to the Cerave and then just moisturize and see if it helps.

I had some a&d ointment which has vitamin e in it. I just put some of that on so hopefully that will help. If not I will try something suggested here like that lotion. I have some aloe Vera sunburn gel too if the ointment doesn't work.

Once I get it cleared up I will add one thing at a time back so I can see if it is something else. The only thing I use was the Paulas choice resist toner and anti oxident serum after cleansing. I won't use those for a few days.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday   Years ago I had broke out under my eyes and realized it was from the mascara (I was using it all along but became allergic).  Any way, I had to stop wearing eye makeup for a month.  It cleared up.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:
I am having a hard time with very rough dry undereyes. I don’t think it’s anything I am using. Have used it all for awhile and never had a issue. Anyone have any product recs that aren’t super expensive.. Was going to order some cucumber eye patches from Amazon and see if that helps.

@ccassaday   Sorry you're having this issue under your eyes. Patches, IMHO, are usually overrated. Haven't found any yet that are effective. I would discontinue all products around the eyes...everything. Gently (with cotton bads) use a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil to cleanse the area (don't dry it...leave it damp... and apply good old Aquafor ointment under your eyes. It will seal in moisture. If after a few days, there's no improvement, a doc's opinion is a good idea. Never fool around with eye issues. Smiley Happy 

***You may be experiencing an allergic reaction to products you've used or seasonal allergies.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

Eye strain. Dry eyes, not enough sleep, stress all contribute to that.

Patches are all that just a patch like a band-aid.   Maybe you are due for an eye exam??

Cold compresses help too.

I just had a eye exam a month ago.  I have had some issues with yeasty skin rashes from my biologic I have been wondering if it's from that. It's so rough. Makeup looks bad.  I threw out the clarisonic because of it too. Have just a silicone one now. 

@ccassaday   No cleansing "devices" are gentle enough to use anywhere near the eyes.

Respected Contributor

Had purple eyelids and purple red crusty puffy undereye from glaucoma drops. Tried Tatcha silk peony and it is %100 better. Made me feel so much better since I had to give up all eye makeup due to 

irritation.

Good Luck

Esteemed Contributor

It seems a little better today. I been keeping a&d ointment on the eye area. It’s pretty mild. Just more annoying.
Honored Contributor

Lancome has far too much scent in their skincare, and I break out if I ever use their samples in their gwps.  IT also has scent. 
use a fragrance free cleanser.  I have eczema and sensitive skin so never use fragranced products on my face.  Try cerave.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday  Do you use a concealer in that area? My daughter had puffy dry under eye areas. She stopped using concealer and it completely cleared up. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth