Trusted Contributor

There are some varying opinions here on the frequency on hair washing as it pertains to dry hair.  My stylist told me to limit my shampooing to twice a week.  I tired that and my dry, coarse hair became more dry and coarse.  I could not shampoo my hair for a month and it would be SO dry, it would break off.  I use about 3 different moisturizing shampoos, extra-moisturizing conditioners and leave-in conditoners.  Yes, I always use a rinse out conditioner AND a leave in conditioner.  Every other week, I use a heavy duty all natural conditioner which I leave on for 45 minutes or so. Alternating products seems to be helpful for my hair, though I really can't explain why.  I am very careful about the number of styling products I use and the type.

I have been a huge fan of Sebastian's Potion 9 for over 20 years.  It helps me to style my dry coarse hair and doesn't dry it out.  I use about 6 drops of Matrix Blue Agave hair gel before I blow dry to help me with frizziness.  Finally I used Giovanni Chic 2 be Brazilian Keratin hair styling wax as a finish.  Does my hair look soft and silky like some womens' hair?  Absolutely not!  I have had dry, coarse hair my entire life and that's the way it is.  I handle with care and use as much moisturizing, natural product as I can. 

Honored Contributor

@happycat,  My remedy is simple.  A humidifer (cold water/mist) in my bedroom at night and Josie Maran's hair serum.  Josie sells it in a travel size on her website so you can try it out.  I love it.  I love the smell and all you need is one pump, rub in between your hands and apply to your hair.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

Thank you all for your replies. I think I am going to try some of the shampoos and conditioners that some of you mentioned.

I could never go a few days or a week without washing my hair. While it is dry at the ends, the rest is oily. Wish I could though.

@happycat

Few days no wash:  I guarantee the oily will dissipate in time.

How about this?  Commit to 1-2 months of washing your hair every-other day?  Then for an experiment, throw in a 2-day no-wash weekend?  I didn't think it would happen, but your hair really DOES produce less oil if not washed every day.   If anything, you'll save on $$ product & hair color.

Honored Contributor

My hair gets so frizzy and dry and I was using all these products for frizz.  Well, it turns out I think the products for frizz were actually making my hair more dry and frizzy!  I turned my attention to products -- shampoo and conditioners -- which are strictly for "dry" hair and I have had really great results!  My hair is so much softer and and I don't have anyways near the frizz problem that I had.  I am currently using Tresemme, which is very inexpensive but is doing the job!  Pantene is another good one for me.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Just now I used whole blends Olive Oil shampoo and conditioner and it was super moisterizing. You should try it. I found it at a walgreens

Respected Contributor

Adding hair oils  will do the trick. Shea Moisture has pure oils about 7 or 8 verieties under $10 at target and ulta. I use the argan oil.

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat wrote:

What have you done for dry hair? Not really damaged, but definitely dry. My hair is colored, and I do use a shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair, but that isn't getting it. I have also used hot oil.

Feel like I need something a little more powerful here.

I try to let it dry naturally as often as I can, it's just not always possible.

TIA.

This is why I use WEN. It solves this problem.

Trusted Contributor

Alberto VO5 Hot Oil Weekly Intense Conditioning TreatmentIt is cheap and it works. Use before you shampoo. Strange how something that worked 40 years ago, still works today.

Regular Contributor

Hi!

I love my WEN, but my first recommendation to you would be to do a complete 5 step treatment for your hair since neither conditioner nor hot oil has helped much. Moisture needs protein to bind to. And oil is needed to seal moisture in, yet keep humidity out (keep frizzies out). I would do ALL 5 steps in the same day, and in the following order (I will list the products I use):

1.    Clarify.

I often use organic ACV and water for this, BUT when doing a major hair repair for the first time, I suggest you use an actual clarifyivng shampoo. You need to start with a clean slate for the protein step to really work.

Product:  I rec KENRA clarifying shampoo. It is gentle even on my bleached hair.

2.    Protein Reconstructor.

This helps to fill the hair. Many things can cause damage to the hair: dye, bleach, heat, etc.Moisture needs protein to bind to. Using a moisturizer in hair that is damaged, usually gets poor results. I double process blonde my hair. I do a protein treatment every 8 weeks.

Product:

EASY method: Nexxus Emergency (aka, Emergencee, aka Aloxxi Emergency(pro line name)). Results are very good.

HARDER method to use, BUT BEST results (definitely use this if you have extremely fried hair):  Aphogee 2 .Step Protein Treatment (not to be confused with Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor). Follow directions exactly! It must be dried into the hair. Do NOT touch hair while dried, as it can snap off!

3.    MOISTURIZE! 

YOU MUST BALANCE protein with moisture, or you will get very brittle, dried out hair. When people say their hair does not like protein, chances are they did not balance protein with moisture, using the correct products and method. DO NOT use a "conditioner". You need a MOISTURIZER for this step. Conditioners do a little bit of everything (add protein, moisture, and some oil or silicone), but not much of any one thing. Basically, their purpose is to add slip to the hair. Moisturizers add MOISTURE deep into the hair, where they bind to protein.

Product:

Stick to high quality professional products for both uour protein reconstructors, and for your moisturizers. 

Paul Mitchel Supercharged Moisturizer, or Nexxus Humectress. Both are very good following a protein treatment.

Rinse with COOL water, to help seal cuticle/lessen porosity

4.    Balance Porosity

You want to close that cuticle, to keep moisture IN and humidity OUT. You can do this with a vinegar rinse, BUT when doing this treatment, I highly rec using:

Product:

Roux Porosity Control Treatment Conditioner.

Follow directions. This is an excellent product which has been around over 30 years. It works! Rinse with COOL water. This is not a one time fix. You will need to continue using a porosity control, on going. Some need it only until all damaged hair has grown out. Others need it forever, as certain hair tupes are naturally more porous. You can use a vinegar rinse thereafter, or continue using .Roux PC.

5. OIL (or silicone serum)

You now need to seal that moisturizer in. I prefer a teeeeeeny amount of virgin coconut oil, applied to my damp hair, when I nned a heavier emolient coating. Sometimes, I prefer PURE 100% argan oil,as it is lighter. I try to avoid silicone serums when I use sulfate free shampoos. If you use a sulfate shampoo, you can use silicone serums, without worrying about buildup. Both oils and serums serve to lock moisture into the hair, and prevent humidity from entering the hair (when this happens, the cuticle swells, and the result is frizz. Keeping porosity down, also helps prevent frizz). Whichever you use, use them as leave ins, so only apply tiny amounts to avoid limp hair. I do not apply to root area.

Products:

For oil: Coconut or 100% argan work well.

For silicone serums: Just about any one will do. I like Paul Mitchell .Gloss Drops, but there are many drugstore brands and other salon brands that are good, too.

NOTE: 

Many so called moroccan oils, argan oils, etc, contain "CONES". These are silicones, so read the ingedient label closely. If the word ends in "cone", and you want a pure argan oil, do not buy that product.Josie M's argan oil on qvc is amazing!!!, but it is very pricey. I save her bottlefor special occasion hair. Lol I use a much less expensice argan oil by PURA. I get this from Amazon. I also buy 100% argan oil from Whole Foods.

That completes the 5 step hair treatment.

If you heat dry your hair, PLEASE use a good heat protectant cream, gel, or spray. Most do have silicones, but it is worth it. 

Maintenance:

Use a shampoo and conditioner for dry, damaged, color treated hair. These will be the most gentle. My choice is WEN, but choose what works for you best. You want to avoid alkaline shampoos (volumizkng shampoos). Those for color treated hair are the most acidic and best for dry damaged hair. You can use hot oil treatments, if you notice your hair lacks lustre, shine.

Every 8 weeks, I would rec that you do the 5 step treatment again. 

I am not a hair stylist or colorist, but I have used the above method for over 20 yrs on myself, family, and friends. The results are always great. Smiley Happy  I recently had a new colorist fry my highlights (grrrrrrrr), and the first thing I didwas the 5 step procedure. The next step was to go back to WEN. The highlight breakage stopped, thank G*D. I used WEN for 5 yrs and loved it. I stopped for a while, but I have gone back and am sticking with it. My hair was in gorgeous shape with WEN, and it has already made a huge improvement after the highlighting disaster. Whatever you choose to use for shamoo, I personally think using a low sulphate or NON sulphate shampoo is best on dry damaged hair. If you are able, buy the highest quality shampoo that you can.  

Good luck! I hope this info helps!

Esteemed Contributor

Smiley Happy If you'd love your WEN and used it, there would be no need for all that stuff described above ^.

Just saying.