Esteemed Contributor

What have you done for dry hair? Not really damaged, but definitely dry. My hair is colored, and I do use a shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair, but that isn't getting it. I have also used hot oil.

Feel like I need something a little more powerful here.

I try to let it dry naturally as often as I can, it's just not always possible.

TIA.

Honored Contributor

@happycat  I have curly hair which is naturally dry, highlighted which adds damage  & grey mixing in which is wirey in texture. I use a heavy deep conditioning masque SHEA MOISTURE (drugstore) makes a great one. I leave it on for for an hr. instead of the time on the jar. I do it twice a week...Sometimes I wash my hair in the sink after dinner (has to be applied to clean damp hair), put the masque on w/ plastic shower cap or SARAN WRAP & leave it on while reading or watching tv. Shower before bed to rinse it out...or sleep in it w/ Turbie Twist. Hope that helps.

Honored Contributor

@happycat  The SKINN hair products have turned my hair from dry and frizzy to silky and gorgeous with a high shine. I have a few Kerastase products I'm using up and a few jars of different masks but when they're empty, I'm using only SKINN.

I had my roots touched up yesterday and my stylist commented on how gorgeous my hair is; she knows I've struggled with dryness as my hair is naturally dry, coarse with frizz and I have a few auto-immune diseases; add in being post menopause due to surgery and yeah, my hair has had MAJOR problems.

It took a years to find what worked and I tried these products on a whim and wow, I'm thrilled. 

If you don't want to go that route, then make sure there is NO PROTEIN in the products you are using. Easy enough for conditioners and masks but shampoos are VERY tricky. Sulfates are another problem for many of us with naturally dry hair though others love it.....you have to experiment and find which works for your hair.

Trusted Contributor

I live in frozen west central Michigan so we get lake effect snow & the furnace is on dawn to dusk. I'm 65 and have Jamie Lee Curtis short salt & pepper hair. I MUST use some kind of moisturizing shampoo & conditioner every day in winter. Don't have a favorite brand, but right now I have Suave brand in the shower. I also use am argan oil in my hair after shampoo (also using Suave right now). I usualy do not dry my hair with a blow dryer, have a humidifier in the bedroom, and drink lots of water. My hair is in fantastic shape and not at all dry.

Honored Contributor

WEN

@happycat wrote:

What have you done for dry hair? Not really damaged, but definitely dry. My hair is colored, and I do use a shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair, but that isn't getting it. I have also used hot oil.

Feel like I need something a little more powerful here.

I try to let it dry naturally as often as I can, it's just not always possible.

TIA.

Respected Contributor

My hair used to be like straw.  Terrible.... Even before I started coloring.  The first thing I did was to cut out sulfates.  Then, I stopped shampooing every day.  I'd shampoo one day, and just condition the next.  Then I started experimenting with different products.  It's hit and miss for everyone, so what works for me might not work for you.

WEN didn't work for me.  Tweak'd on HSN has some good products for cleansing and conditioning.  They smell awful, but work great.  I do like their Ultra Nourishing Self Cleaning Hair Treatment.  They also have something called Restore, in a tub, that people here have written positively about.  Also, some self cleaning hair treatments in tubes (I only see one on the site right now), that would be good for conditioning before shampooing.

I've tried many, many products for my thin, fine, crazy, curly, unruly hair, and the routine that I'm happiest with at the moment is Hask Argon Oil shampoo and condition (inexpensive at Ulta), and a Living Proof's No Frizz Weightless Styling Spray.  These days I cleanse my hair every 2 - 4 days, depending on what it needs.  

First you'll need to improve the condition of your hair.  Then you'll start the odyssey of finding the right products for day to day.

Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

Then, I stopped shampooing every day.  I'd shampoo one day, and just condition the next.  

@ItsME

You bring up a good point!

I don't have dry hair, but it's totally unnecessary to wash hair

every.single.day. I used to when it was shorter.  

My hair is longer & I've extended wash time to 2-3x a week.  

Yes, removing sulfates are important, but it's the quantity, not quality,

in this case.  Natural hair oils will always be preferred over anything. 

Valued Contributor

I respectfully disagree with the comments about not washing hair daily or too often as a way to combat dryness.  I actually spoke to my dermatologist about this very thing. She explained that it's a myth that daily washing will dry out hair.  In fact, since I exercise (and therefore sweat a lot) daily, I wash my hair daily. For my former dry hair, I learned that any shampoo that is sulfate-free turned my hair to straw. (Confirmed by my derm that this is the case for many people.) I therefore use a shampoo that's gentle on color but that contains gentle sulfates (Redken Color Extend). It gives my hair great moisture. And, after trying a gazillion expensive brands that didn't help, I discovered Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-In Conditioner at Target that has made my once dry hair totally silky and moisturized every single day.  

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@happycat  The SKINN hair products have turned my hair to dry and frizzy to silky and gorgeous with a high shine. I have a few Kerastase products I'm using up and a few jars of different masks but when they're empty, I'm using only SKINN.

I had my roots touched up yesterday and my stylist commented on how gorgeous my hair is; she knows I've struggled with dryness as my hair is naturally dry, coarse with frizz and I have a few auto-immune diseases; add in being post menopause due to surgery and yeah, my hair has had MAJOR problems.

It took a years to find what worked and I tried these products on a whim and wow, I'm thrilled. 

If you don't want to go that route, then make sure there is NO PROTEIN in the products you are using. Easy enough for conditioners and masks but shampoos are VERY tricky. Sulfates are another problem for many of us with naturally dry hair though others love it.....you have to experiment and find which works for your hair.

@SahmIam @happycat ITA with Skinn Hair Care products. I'm using those now. I use the shampoo, conditioner, shine/seal spray, scalp revitalizier & mask. My hair looks so much better. I have also been using the Beekman Ylang Ylang Tuberose shampoo/conditioner off/on. I'm sticking with Skinn for now since I like the results. The 1st time I used it I did not like it. My hair has definitely got better with use.

I have tried all kinds of shampoos, conditioners, masks, oils etc & nothing was working for me. I have also tried all kinds of sulfate free shampoo that only dried my hair out more. So far not having that problem with Skinn.

Valued Contributor

Aveda Dry Remedy Leave In works wonders for me.