Regular Contributor

I am experiencing severely dry skin around my eyes - underneath and on the eyelids. It is making me look older and I am at a loss as to what to do. I have tried a myriad of moisturizers and am now currently using Aquaphor to keep it moist. I am 52 and going through menopause. Has anyone experienced this and what did you do?

Honored Contributor

@hgsuddle   I don't remember if I had that issue during menopause, but do experience it from time to time because of Retin A or colder weather. I have great success using organic shea butter. At night, you can apply it under your eyes and if you apply it under your brow bone, not directly on your lids, the heat of your face will allow a bit of it to drift on the eyelids. Use a tiny amount rubbing it between your ring fingers before application. 

I'll try to post separate photo. The one I use is called Nourish Organic Shea Butter. I order it from Amazon. 

Honored Contributor
Respected Contributor

Yes. The first thing to try is switching your face wash. Even if you were using it with no problems & even if it claims to be for normal/dry skin.

If my face wash is too drying it immediately makes my eye area look so awful.

I use argan oil to remove makeup & FAB Face Wash or PTR Water Drench Cloud Cream Face Wash. 

I still have a dry eye area & I constantly search for eye cream for moisture.

My 2 favorites are actually inexpensive-Acure Radically Rejuvenating Eye Cream (1oz-$16.99). Not radical or rejuvenating, but nice moisture.

And, my new favorite Trader Joe's brand is $5.99 for .5 oz.

Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

Try a facial cleanser for sensitive skin.  Also, your body soap too.  Since you are menopausal your skin it changing along with everything else.

You also might try a moisturizer that is specifically for the eye area.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Re: Dry Skin Around My Eyes

[ Edited ]

I have that problem occasionally when I take a lot of medication, even OTC.    Dry to the point of peeling skin, kind of dry.

I found that I did exactly what @Dusty1 said and changed my cleanser.  First, I stopped all my experimenting with skin care.  I went back to doing a prewash with straight Argan oil instead of the oil combo I had been using, then washing with my Argan face wash.  I used minimal products with the least amount of ingredients.  (In my case, I find many artificial ingredients and treatments to be too harsh.)  I kept my Argan serum and used a moisturizer only when necessary.  I noticed a difference the first time I tried this.  My eyes completely cleared in a couple of weeks.  And I continued with this regimen and haven't had that problem since.  The bonus is that the rest of my face looks better than ever too!

If you have some products that you know are very mild and not irritating to your skin, stick with those for a while.  And the least number of products as possible.  That's what works for me.  Good luck.🤞

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use a small amount of the original Weleda Skin Food cream around my eyes.  Works like magic to keep my dry lids and undereyes moisturized. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with switching to a more gentle cleanser, maybe one which is moisturizing. Also, avoid washing your face with a microfiber cloth b/c those will strip away your natural oils...that's the nature of microfiber. Avoid very warm and hot water. Cleanse with the coolest water possible...always.

ETA - When you are showering try not to let the warm water run on your face either.  I know I'm guilty of doing that and the water is pretty warm so it dries my skin out everywhere, especially on my face. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, always use cool water.  I just use straight cold water from the tap until it gets really cold here in Texas (which doesn't happen soon enough).  I don't use a cleanser in the morning.  Just plain water and I don't rub my face.  I'm 61 but have been using plain water in the AM for years and  years.

I have not tried this product but I am using another product from this line and really really like it!  I am probably going to order Drunk Elephant's C-Tango in the next couple of days.   Their products are very clean and nothing your skin doesn't need.  It's on the spendy side but you can find it on ebay for a lot less.  Just buy from sellers with excellent ratings (like 99.5% or higher) and lots of sales.  You can find travel size bottles to buy and test to see if it's something that will work for you.  Drunk Elephant's F-Balm is THE BOMB Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@hgsuddle   Olive oil eye cream is for very, very dry under eyes.  It's $18 by Mario Badescu.

kindness is strength