Honored Contributor

Re: Drugstore vs high find prices not that much different anymore

I think some drugstore products are just as good as any department store name brand. For instance - L'Oreal true match foundation. Best I have ever used - hands down at any price range.  However, I have yet to foind a blush anywhere that I'm satisfied with. The closest I ever came was a sample from Laura Geller but when I went to purchase it - they didn't carry it anymore.  I think the Maybelline mascara is as good as any on the market at any price.I buy Revlon lipsticks and they are as good as any on the market except Lipstick Queen medievil - however, that is the only shade of hers I like.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

I wonder if I am the only one that feels this way. Drugstore prices have gotten so ridiculous in prices. I used to have a bunch of drugstore makeup but have found myself gravitating towards high end again. Even with coupons and stuff I found that I had s lot of junk I didn't use with drugstore. I am starting to realize I would rather have less and have good stuff I really love with high end. The price of drugstore almost doesn't make it worth it anymore. Just but good stuff you like and have less.  I guess I am turning into a snob and just don't like trying a bunch of drugstore just to find a good few things. Any thoughts. Emily Noel mentioned in a video she doesn't even get excited anymore with BOGO and the drugstore.

@ccassaday ,

Perhaps you are actually referring to a generic category when you say "drugstore" makeup?   It's not clear above.  

However ..... the last time I was in a Rite Aid or CVS, I couldn't believe it!  Very pricey, with not many price breaks.

My question is ......   why would ANYONE purchase any makeup at a drug store when you can get the exact same products at Walmart or Target cheaper ....  and with more brands to choose from?   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee  How thoughtful of you....yes, I'll give it a try.

@just bee wrote:

@phoenixbrd

I said I'd keep you updated if I found a replacement BB/CC cream.  Got an email from Costco and I generally don't open these but this one I opened and lo and behold there was a BB cream.

Cruelty-free, too.

BB cream

I went ahead and picked up a light and a medium.  The sale price ($19.99 for 1.4 ounces) wasn't too horrible, so I thought I'd give it a try.

You might want to take a look at the product's website. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@phoenixbrd

I said I'd keep you updated if I found a replacement BB/CC cream.  Got an email from Costco and I generally don't open these but this one I opened and lo and behold there was a BB cream.

Cruelty-free, too.

BB cream

I went ahead and picked up a light and a medium.  The sale price ($19.99 for 1.4 ounces) wasn't too horrible, so I thought I'd give it a try.

@phoenixbrd

It hasn't shipped yet so I can't give you a review.  But as long as it doesn't make me look like a tangerine it'll be good enough! Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I like drugstore mascara.  I really don't see the difference with the high end.  Burt's Bees has nice lip products (lipsticks, etc.).  Foundations - I prefer the high end and I have tried quite a few DS brands.  I don't wear much eye shadow but I prefer the high end.  The one nice thing about high end is you can return and if you try another product it ususally works.  I know you can return the DS but sometimes the returning starts adding up.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Yes, I think makeup at the DS has definitely increased in price, but I think YouTube, beauty blogs and such may have helped the prices to raise. I guess the internet in general. Back on the day, I had to do trial and error on my own when it came to learning how to apply makeup, what looked good together, etc. 

I also think there are good products at the DS. There are also companies out there such as Makeup Geek and Colourpop, who are just as cheap or cheaper than DS. 

Honored Contributor

Rimmel mascara and CeraVe lotion are great drugstore finds. Not cheap, but really good value.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

I think it depends on what your looking for I've been on the hunt for an eyeshadow with color pay off I found one finally 6.99 for for a 12 color pallet AND for the first time ever in my 30 plus years wearing MU I'll use every single color. (Magnif' eye's shadow Rimmel) also love their (Fix&Perfect pro primer) 1oz 5.99 no greasy, or pilling on the skin my face feels so smooth foundation goes on flawless. I also love Loreal perfect match foundation and their mascaras. I don't find the prices unreasonable.
Respected Contributor

Makeup to me is not difference between drugstore and high end.  Drugstore shampoos has improved a great deal but still not as gentle as a salon  brand. Drugstore still has less natural oils and extracts than a salon brand  and have more sulfates and chemicals than a salon brand.But that being said there are a few drugstore brands I like. I find myself useing Pantene and Suave  and altrenating with  my salon brands. Pantene is the most unnatural chemically infused shampoo ever but I love it lol

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@phoenixbrd

Cruelty-free, too.

BB cream

@phoenixbrd

It hasn't shipped yet so I can't give you a review.  But as long as it doesn't make me look like a tangerine it'll be good enough! Woman Wink

@phoenixbrd

I can't say I'm enjoying this BB cream.  But I did find a product line that might appeal to you.  Have you heard of Mineral Fusion?

The products are sold here at Sprouts and Natural Grocers (they're probably at Whole Foods, too), so you might check out similar stores in your area.  But do take a look at their website.

I was at Natural Grocers today and tried a couple of their primers on the back of my hand.  When I got home I put the purlisse BB cream on over it and I think their primer might be a good substitute for Lumene's now discontinued BB serum.

Sprouts had the whole line priced at 20% off a couple weeks ago, so I thought I'd keep my eye on the products and wait for another sale.  The website offers free shipping over $60.

Check out the products and ingredients.  Maybe it's something that could work for you!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~