Honored Contributor

Re: Drugstore vs high find prices not that much different anymore

@just bee

HeartHeartHeart Every person makes a difference.  If everyone knew the truth, I'm sure there would be many more making this decision.  Yes, I know what you mean about the age thing.  You might want to up your consumption of salads with tons of veggies and fresh fruit...it will make a big difference.  (I make the best dressing ever and crave salads as a result...if you are interested I'll post.) add potatoes, beans, for satiation and you'll be spinning that age clock backwards.  I also heard about Lumene on these boards and it was what made me try (love the ladies here for all the wonderful suggestions).  I have a tube left and, yes, I have explored Physcian's Formula in the past knowing they are cruelty free.  I think I will revisit as I know they have come out with new products and I have read some good reviews.  I'll take a look at Almay also.  Bee...just so much respect and love for your new decision....have a best day ever!

@just bee wrote:

@phoenixbrd

Your post has me thinking that I should use this opportunity to switch to a cruelty-free product.  I've been looking at Almay and Physicians Formula.  I'm leaning towards PF: Lots of products and prices are similar to Lumene.

Have you checked out their website?  Several BB and CC creams.  I'm intrigued.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@just bee

HeartHeartHeart Every person makes a difference.  If everyone knew the truth, I'm sure there would be many more making this decision.  Yes, I know what you mean about the age thing.  You might want to up your consumption of salads with tons of veggies and fresh fruit...it will make a big difference.  (I make the best dressing ever and crave salads as a result...if you are interested I'll post.) add potatoes, beans, for satiation and you'll be spinning that age clock backwards.  I also heard about Lumene on these boards and it was what made me try (love the ladies here for all the wonderful suggestions).  I have a tube left and, yes, I have explored Physcian's Formula in the past knowing they are cruelty free.  I think I will revisit as I know they have come out with new products and I have read some good reviews.  I'll take a look at Almay also.  Bee...just so much respect and love for your new decision....have a best day ever!

@phoenixbrd

Already a huge fan of fruits and vegetables, but your dressing recipe might just be a winner.  I'll keep an eye open!

You may want to check out Beautypedia for more reviews on cruelty-free products.  Paula says Merle Norman is cruelty-free; if that's the case, they have a new CC cream.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee  I'll check out Beautypedia...thanks.  

Here is what I use on my green salads, only three ingredients!  I don't measure, so if you decide to try you might want to start with the tahini base and add the other two ingredients to taste.

In a bowl, add and whisk the following ingredients:

Start with 2-3 tablespoons of tahini sauce (which I buy at TJ's in the deli section)

Press a fresh lime...add to taste

Add Coconut Aminos to taste

That's it! simple. (You can experiment adding other herbs, smoked paprika, garlic, pickled ginger, etc if you feel adventurous)  I always put hemp hearts in my salad not only for the nutrition, but it blends really well with this dressing and makes it even more creamy....never tire of the yummy taste!

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd

Thanks! Woman Very Happy

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd

No, I haven't tried the dressing just yet, but I've alerted Better-half to the recipe.

Shortly after you and I "chatted," I noticed an Aveda product: It's their

inner light™ mineral tinted moisture broad spectrum spf 15.  (Now there's a mouthful.)

Just another option to check out.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've sure noticed that prices have gone upwards in drugstore makeup in all brands whether the company has been bought out by another or not. But I also have not noticed any improvement with either Covergirl or Rimmel now that they are both owned by Coty. Both lines have makeup with noticeable perfume in them.

Edited to add that Olay skin care has become very expensive with the average price between $30 and $40 CDN. Some stores keep this skin care line behind the counter and put empty boxes on the shelf. I have no interest in most of these products as they are fragranced.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday,    That's how I felt about clothes when I was younger.  I would rather have a couple of really nice pieces versus 10 pieces of cheap clothing.  If you are a smart shopper you will mix your really nice blouse with a cheaper pair of pants and the whole outfit will look expensive.  I belong to Walgreens Reward program and I earned $10 off so on Sr. day 20% off, I needed a new pair of cuticle clippers and they were $29.99 by Tweezerman.  First I was given the 20% off to take them to $23.99 and my $10 off so I paid $13.99 which is not a bad deal for a good pair of c. clippers.  I really like a lot of Aquage products.  I use their thickening spray gel (excellent), hairspray and volume foam.   And, they have outstanding shampoos.   Yes, I pay more but the products perform and actually last a long time for me. However, you can still find some drug store items that are reasonable and perform. It just takes a good eye and comparing prices.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@ccassaday,    That's how I felt about clothes when I was younger.  I would rather have a couple of really nice pieces versus 10 pieces of cheap clothing.  If you are a smart shopper you will mix your really nice blouse with a cheaper pair of pants and the whole outfit will look expensive.  I belong to Walgreens Reward program and I earned $10 off so on Sr. day 20% off, I needed a new pair of cuticle clippers and they were $29.99 by Tweezerman.  First I was given the 20% off to take them to $23.99 and my $10 off so I paid $13.99 which is not a bad deal for a good pair of c. clippers.  I really like a lot of Aquage products.  I use their thickening spray gel (excellent), hairspray and volume foam.   And, they have outstanding shampoos.   Yes, I pay more but the products perform and actually last a long time for me. However, you can still find some drug store items that are reasonable and perform. It just takes a good eye and comparing prices.  Cat Very Happy

I think for me it may because I can't get out anymore to look. I can't be having my mom return stuff. So I am finding that for the base of my makeup like foundation, concealers, and powders I have narrowed it down to the products I like. I am not really into experimenting anymore.  Now eyeshadow and blush I have a ton and love to experiment.  Maybe it's just because I just can't get out to the drugstore anymore. I guess I am finally finding my holy grails and sticking with them. At least as far as the base of my makeup. I do use the physicians formula butter bronzer and really like it. I think that is the only thing drugstore I am using right now. I have some Maybelline eyeshadow quads. I might use them more after we move and my makeup is all organized instead of shoved in a place I can't get to it. 

Frequent Contributor

I agree drugstore and big box store prices are increasing but so is the quality, variety and new releases. 

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd

I said I'd keep you updated if I found a replacement BB/CC cream.  Got an email from Costco and I generally don't open these but this one I opened and lo and behold there was a BB cream.

Cruelty-free, too.

BB cream

I went ahead and picked up a light and a medium.  The sale price ($19.99 for 1.4 ounces) wasn't too horrible, so I thought I'd give it a try.

You might want to take a look at the product's website. Woman Wink