Super Contributor

Re: Drugstore hair color and eSalon

At home hair color is super easy.

Don't stray too far from your natural color 2 shades only.

Keep in mind your skin tone if you look good in warm colors, choose a title with "golden" in it.

If you look better in cool tones you might be better in "Ash" or "Natural" in the color description.

I usually go with a light natural brown by L'oreal Preference. It also gives me nice highlights. My hair is anywhere from Blonde to light brown depending on the sun and the season.

If I don't feel like cleaning my bathroom after, I go to the salon, truth be told I like my home color better, but sometimes I just don't feel like the clean up.

For touch ups, don't dye your whole head, only do the roots and apply the color to the ends the last 10 minutes of your color job, that's my 2 cents worth.

Respected Contributor

On 10/13/2014 Dublingrl said:

At home hair color is super easy.

Don't stray too far from your natural color 2 shades only.

Keep in mind your skin tone if you look good in warm colors, choose a title with "golden" in it.

If you look better in cool tones you might be better in "Ash" or "Natural" in the color description.

I usually go with a light natural brown by L'oreal Preference. It also gives me nice highlights. My hair is anywhere from Blonde to light brown depending on the sun and the season.

If I don't feel like cleaning my bathroom after, I go to the salon, truth be told I like my home color better, but sometimes I just don't feel like the clean up.

For touch ups, don't dye your whole head, only do the roots and apply the color to the ends the last 10 minutes of your color job, that's my 2 cents worth.

Worth every penny! Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

I tried eSalon but probably will not reorder. The shampoo & conditioner they sent was horrible on my fine, naturally curly hair. It left a greasy residue & I ended up shampooing with my own shampoo to get their product out of my hair. They also provide a vaseline type of protective to put around your hair line which is nice. I don't think my color lasted long. It was fading in less than three weeks.

I have color resistant hair with a lot of gray in it. The best product I've found for gray hair is Age Beautiful sold at Sally Beauty. But the color comes out really dark so I'd suggest going 2 colors lighter and use Ion's 20% developer for sensitive scalps. I did my hair a month ago and have had very little fading. I do suggest deep conditioning because it can make your hair dry.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Respected Contributor

On 10/14/2014 UMTerpFan said:

I tried eSalon but probably will not reorder. The shampoo & conditioner they sent was horrible on my fine, naturally curly hair. It left a greasy residue & I ended up shampooing with my own shampoo to get their product out of my hair. They also provide a vaseline type of protective to put around your hair line which is nice. I don't think my color lasted long. It was fading in less than three weeks.

I have color resistant hair with a lot of gray in it. The best product I've found for gray hair is Age Beautiful sold at Sally Beauty. But the color comes out really dark so I'd suggest going 2 colors lighter and use Ion's 20% developer for sensitive scalps. I did my hair a month ago and have had very little fading. I do suggest deep conditioning because it can make your hair dry.

Thanks for your review about eSalon. I may still try this sometime but I currently have a hair color that I like. Although, I do like the idea of trying Sally's products and may try these sometime soon.

Frequent Contributor

My mother now uses Clairol Age Defy and her hair looks great. Covers gray well and the color lasts. After 8 weeks, it still looked great. She used to use Clairol Nice n Easy and the color would fade after a few weeks.

Respected Contributor

On 10/13/2014 Shelbelle said:

Revlon Colorsilk, been my go to for 17 years now. Very inexpensive at Target and Walmart, gentle , no ammonia.

Another vote for Revlon Colorsilk. I've been using for at least that many years, probably more. I like the 95 Blonde shade. Leaves my hair soft and shiny, I redo every 4 weeks, as I hate to see the roots come in. Only costs about $3.00 - $3.50.

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

I have used eSalon for the past two years and have been very pleased. Initially it cost me $115 to have my hair colored every 5 weeks. I decided to give eSalon a try and was glad I did! I simply sent a good color picture of my hair and answered a detailed questionnaire and they nailed my hair color! Compared to what I was paying at the salon, $35 was a deal. It's nice that once you know your color, you just need to do your roots. So simple.

They will adjust the color, delivery schedule etc- whatever you need. Very easy to use, I highly recommend if you want to do your hair home at home.

BTW, no one knew that I wasn't going to the pricey salon...