Esteemed Contributor

Re: Drugstore Foundation For Dry Skin??

LoL, @just bee  Smiley Happy

Thank you all for your suggestions!!

I actually have the L'oreal True Match Lumi, in W1-2.  I don't know why they call it "Lumi."  It has no luminescence at all.  I have actually been adding a luminizer to it to use it up.  I don't know; maybe I got a bottle from a bad batch.  It's funny you mention the neutral shade, @just bee, because the Lumi shade I have is warm, but the luminizer I add to it is cool, so I wind up with something more neutral.  It's okay, but I'd rather have something I don't have to add anything to.

That said, I'm trying to find new skin care, because I realize none of the foundations are going to look good if the skin underneath is flaky in places.  But I know I'll need dry skin foundation regardless of the skin care I use, so I figured I'd ask.

I have an Avon Anew liquid foundation that is very moisturizing, but I'm trying to get away from ordering Avon, because I get carried away and order too much.  And it looks like they may have changed my favorite mascara, so that's one more reason to avoid Avon.  Smiley Sad

I'm going to try your suggestions and see if I can find something that I like!!

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

My favorite drugstore foundation is Maybelline Fit Me. It just glides on, so satiny and smooth. It's for normal to dry skin, and has a slight dewy finish. SPF 18, at least it's something.

I would say it's medium coverage but buildable to full. I use IT cosmetics and I like this just as much, or more, other than the SPF. The only issue with Fit Me is shade selection, easy for me because I always get the lightest shade they make. CVS allows returns, I assume many drugstores do.  Fit Me also has a concealer, I love that too.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

mascara

@mistriTsquirrel

I feel your pain.  I've been happy with the combination of Lumene CC cream and their colorless BB serum.  Unfortunately, Lumene has discontinued both products.  That's why I've been researching replacements.

But if Maybelline ever discontinues Full 'N Soft washable mascara I'll be in a real pickle.  It's the only mascara I'll use.  I don't have lashes on my cheeks.  My lashes aren't stiff or sticky.  I'm loyal as a Lab when it comes to this stuff.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@just bee

There are some things that just aren't fun to shop for, and foundation (or CC cream) as well as mascara fit into that group.  So it's nice to find a mascara or foundation (or CC cream or concealer or hair dye) that you like and not have to keep looking.  

It's much more fun to try different eye shadows or scented shower gels.  Shopping for the right foundation is just slightly more fun than shopping for the right toilet paper, IMO.

Thankfully, I've already found toilet paper I like...

Contributor

I am 51 and have dry skin as well, I would recommend Neutrogena, it gives full coverage and is dewy but drys down on its own.  You could also sheer it out if you dont want full coverge.  I woudl go between #40 for winter and #60 in summer, they have a yellow undertone but look so natural on the skin.  they  have 14 shades and its anywhere from 12.99 to 14.99 for a 1 oz bottle but it last forever and i put on makeup everyday.   Its the Healthy Skin Liquid makeup broad spectrum and has a spf 30.  Hope this helps you.  God Bless you

Respected Contributor

I use CG Aqua Smooth liquid.....it also comes in a powder compact but I've not tried it.   I don't need a lot of coverage just enough to tone down the redness of my complexion.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, ladies!!  I'm glad to have the suggestions. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I believe it was Rimmel that had a nice BB cream.  I found that the BB creams by brands that sell them are a great alternative to foundation.  You still get coverage but the texture of BB is much lighter.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Frequent Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good drugstore foundation for dry skin?  

If you don't mind, please include what sort of coverage it offers.  I like to have one that's full-coverage and one that's lighter (depends on what my skin is doing, and the occasion).

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!!

I'm wondering if adding a few drops of argan oil (or any oil you prefer) to your existing foundation may help, especially if you already have some  face oils lying around in your home.

Esteemed Contributor

@summer wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good drugstore foundation for dry skin?  

If you don't mind, please include what sort of coverage it offers.  I like to have one that's full-coverage and one that's lighter (depends on what my skin is doing, and the occasion).

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!!

I'm wondering if adding a few drops of argan oil (or any oil you prefer) to your existing foundation may help, especially if you already have some  face oils lying around in your home.

@summer  Thanks for mentioning that.  I forgot about that tip.  I saw a Wayne Goss video where he recommended doing that, and I tried it and it worked well with my cream foundations.

The liquid ones seem to get too thin (barely any coverage) when I do that.