Honored Contributor

Re: Drug store vs. High end...a comparison

When we lived in Pa our neighbor's daughter was in an internship for her degree in chemistry. She was working for a company that makes both a high end and a drugstore line. She said it is all the same stuff in both - absolutely no difference except the amount of dyes and thickening agents in the high end products.She definitely recommended buying the drugstore products .

Esteemed Contributor

The difference between drugstore and prestige cosmetics and skin care is price. maybe you get a fancier package but the basic products that you put on your face remain the same.

For example, the Maybelline Fit Me foundation is about $7 U.S. It gets good reviews and it has a good selection of color. So what makes their sister brand's foundations more expensive? 

In Australia the Fit Me foundation costs about $19 australian dollars. Their dollar is worth about 77 cents U.S. So they are basically paying prestige cosmetic prices for drugstore line makeup.

My point is that the cosmetic companies will charge whatever they think the market will bear and I think it has little to do with the actual product cost.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam, funny because I use Wet N Wild eyeshadows and love them.  I have used dept. store but end up back to WNW.  I have no problem with fallout, I get great color pay-off and the shadows last on me all day long. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva What can I say; the last time I purchase a bunch of the products, the fallout was horrible, not to mention the pieces that broke off.They all wound up in the trash. The shine was a bit much as well.

Maybe they've changed the formula, it's been a few years. I found their lipsticks drying as well. Once I'm turned off by a product (for whatever reason), I rarely return. The few times I've had, I think "Oh yeah, THIS is why I hated it the first time!". Lol.

Trusted Contributor

@tototwowrote:

Someone told me many years ago that there are only about 5 big cosmetics "factories."   Some days the products manufactured go into high-end bottles and jars.... and the next day those same products go into the drugstore brand bottles and jars.  Same products, different packaging.  And no "heavy metals, dirty water and insect particles"  @puttypiesmom-- all cosmetic companies must meet the same cleanliness standards. 

Interesting @tototwo

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIamwrote:

@Lipstickdiva What can I say; the last time I purchase a bunch of the products, the fallout was horrible, not to mention the pieces that broke off.They all wound up in the trash. The shine was a bit much as well.

Maybe they've changed the formula, it's been a few years. I found their lipsticks drying as well. Once I'm turned off by a product (for whatever reason), I rarely return. The few times I've had, I think "Oh yeah, THIS is why I hated it the first time!". Lol.

Ugh.  I hate when pieces break off of products.  What a waste of money because you can't do anything but toss them.  I actually bought a WNW shadow trio but I only used 1 of the colors from lashline to above my brow bone.  I tossed the rest of the compact but it was so cheap, I was fine doing that.  

I used to love shimmer in my eye products but now that I'm older, I too find some of it just too much.  And some of what you think is "slight" shimmer looks disco ballish in photos.  Holy cow!  Tossed an eyeshadow duo in the trash after I saw myself in some New Years Eve photos.  Woman Surprised

I also really like the Photo Focus Foundation and the Illuminating and Concealing Pen.  I also love the cheapy polishes for my toes. 

I've hated the mascaras and lip products I've tried as well as the bronzer.

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA  Ditto, me too.  I use soap and water and drug store whatever is on sale products.  No difference and as long as I apply it with care I look fine.  

Respected Contributor

I picked up the Loreal Nourshing shampoo/conditioner at Target in the pump size and love it. I love it so much I may toss out my salon shampoos. Seems to be a dupe of Redken Diamond Oil for the scent is spot on the same. My hair looks amazing, smells amazing and still hair feels light 

20160301_144858.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Many high end beauty products depend on people believing the hype.  Some high end make up, and lesser priced make up, are made by the same company.  The only thing to change is the ad campaign.