Esteemed Contributor

@NanaFrost wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Those ladies you saw wear what makes them happy and feel good.  The most likely do not give a rip what anyone thinks.  More power to them.

Wear what you like and feel comfortable and good in.

@Imaoldhippie To not give a rip what someone thinks is in essence saying they have to value to you or don't deserve to be considered isn't it?  Is it that you don't respect them? 

I have always wondered about that concept.  Just thought I'd ask and it is honestly something I've thought about but can't decide what I think!  Woman FrustratedWoman Embarassed

I'm not the person who wrote that, but I do agree.  I don't judge people by their attire, and if that's how someone is judging me, then I have no respect for them and their opinion of me carries no weight.

Exactly.  As if they put food on your table and pay your bills @NanaFrost 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

I think a woman should dress in ways that flatter her physical attributes. Accentuate the positive and minimize the negative.

For example, my lower tummy pouches out. My shirt tucking days are over. But that's just me. I see many women who don't seem to be bothered by things like that. 

Their level of self confidence is higher than mine, so if they feel good about the way they look then good for them.

Esteemed Contributor

@LuvSoCal wrote:

I think a woman should dress in ways that flatter her physical attributes. Accentuate the positive and minimize the negative.

For example, my lower tummy pouches out. My shirt tucking days are over. But that's just me. I see many women who don't seem to be bothered by things like that. 

Their level of self confidence is higher than mine, so if they feel good about the way they look then good for them.

I agree with that.  You have to know, however this is subjective.  I might not like the way my legs look, but like the way another woman's look.  So, if I like my legs (but you don't) I would accentuate them based on how "I" feel about them.  Not how "you" would feel about them.  All of this is subjective and the blanket statements about how women should look in or out of public gets nauseating on here.

Trusted Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

Saw a lady at Marshall's today that looked just like Dog the Bounty Hunter LOL!  It did startle me as she was walking really fast toward me and it took a few seconds to take it all in.  Yellow long long blonde hair, dark tan with lot's of wrinkles, 4 inch stiletto slip on heels, ultra short jean mini skirt, low (really LOW) cut tank top, no bra or if she had one on well it wasn't doing anything to keep anything in place!  Large giant over sized sunglasses on top of her head.  She was older than I am for sure...in her 60's and at least 40lbs over weight.  I didn't think about her until I opened this topic up.  

I don't care what others are wearing but I admit she did get my attention Woman LOL

Based on the detailed, and unflattering description of her clothing, looks, and even her weight, I would say that you care quite a bit about what others are wearing. 

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I have stated here many times and firmly believe that for most people, yes there are always exceptions, how you dress tells others who you think you are and how they want you to perceive them.

It is a basic understood function of living beings.  Animals "dress" to send messages and they are well understood by others. Lions have manes for a reason; peacocks that tail for a reason.  I believe at some basic level visual messages are part of who we are.

Think about when you go to the doctor.  How he or she might be dressed could affect how you take the advice.  Ok.  Think, then laugh with me!  Woman Very Happy

I absolutely agree with you.  I think we should wear what makes us feel good.  However, I agree that what we wear definitely projects how we want others to perceive us.  Unfortunately we look at a person and ususally form an opinion immediately.  That opinion (good or bad)can change when we start talking to them.  I know most don't care what others think but I liked your point about the doctor.  When I go to the doctor I want him and the office to look, dress and act very professional.   When I see tattoos all I can think about is how that will look 30 years from now.  I used to work in a medical office years ago and military men would get tattoos and 50 years later that tattoo was a droopy faded anchor.   

Honored Contributor

I think a person should wear (in public) presentable clothing and look as nice as they can.  Of course finances plays a role in this and that can't be helped but you can still be clean and have on clean, unwrinkled clothes (btw, I haven't read all the replies).  I have seen some pretty shocking and disturbing attire.  I guess those people don't care about how others perceive them.  Your outward appearance is your "first impression".  In most cases you CAN judge a book by it's cover.  I firmly beleive a person SHOULD care what others think (to an extent).  The whole move to "do your own thing" and "don't care what others think" is one reason this world is in the state it's in (imo)

Do I dress my age?  Humm, I don't dress my age according to what I thought 62+ years old looked like when I was 16.  I don't dress like today's 16 year olds.  One of my biggest fears is wearing what I call "old lady" clothes.  So it's a balance but I'd have to say I dress a little younger than my age.  I don't think I look my age so I'm not going to dress it.  My style, according to Staging Your Comeback by Christopher Hopkins, is casual flirty.  My hairstyle is the same.  

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I think a person should wear (in public) presentable clothing and look as nice as they can.  Of course finances plays a role in this and that can't be helped but you can still be clean and have on clean, unwrinkled clothes (btw, I haven't read all the replies).  I have seen some pretty shocking and disturbing attire.  I guess those people don't care about how others perceive them.  Your outward appearance is your "first impression".  In most cases you CAN judge a book by it's cover.  I firmly beleive a person SHOULD care what others think (to an extent).  The whole move to "do your own thing" and "don't care what others think" is one reason this world is in the state it's in (imo)

Do I dress my age?  Humm, I don't dress my age according to what I thought 62+ years old looked like when I was 16.  I don't dress like today's 16 year olds.  One of my biggest fears is wearing what I call "old lady" clothes.  So it's a balance but I'd have to say I dress a little younger than my age.  I don't think I look my age so I'm not going to dress it.  My style, according to Staging Your Comeback by Christopher Hopkins, is casual flirty.  My hairstyle is the same.  

@monicakm you have got to be kidding.  You could stumble upon a wealthy person and never know it because many are not about the flash and dash.  You never know people until you get to talk to them, see them, walk in their shoes, understand them and do that many times and still you can't say you know someone for sure.  Judge them then.  Judge their character, their willingness to help or to be kind to others.  Don't judge them based on outer appearances.  No one should judge a book by it's cover.  What an awful thing to say and a really just disturbing thing to think about people who don't look, dress and act like you.  

Snooty much?  The Emperor lost his clothes!!!!

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@monicakm wrote:

@monicakm you have got to be kidding.  You could stumble upon a wealthy person and never know it because many are not about the flash and dash.  You never know people until you get to talk to them, see them, walk in their shoes, understand them and do that many times and still you can't say you know someone for sure.  Judge them then.  Judge their character, their willingness to help or to be kind to others.  Don't judge them based on outer appearances.  No one should judge a book by it's cover.  What an awful thing to say and a really just disturbing thing to think about people who don't look, dress and act like you.  

Snooty much?  The Emperor lost his clothes!!!!

@gertrudecloset , I agree with your post.  My dear mom/dad had a neighbor who wore very casual clothes (this was back in the 90's).  She didn't drive a fancy car, nor did she have a fancy home, though a nice one.  If you looked at her and how she dressed, you wouldn't have guessed that she was a millionaire and she had pleny of $ to spend on those items, but they weren't that important to her.  She was a very kind person, giving and helped out many people in their time of need.

She was also an animal lover and donated $ and time to their causes along with continuing to donate to other causes. 

Honored Contributor
@gertrudecloset

That is not at all what I meant and you know it. Period.
Respected Contributor

That is the beauty of not caring what others think and dress now you feel and what you think looks good on you.  The one thing about getting older is I don't care what you think of my style.  So worried about that in high school.

I try and dress appropriately in all occasions.  I hate older sagging skin too but it happens.  I wore walking shorts all summer and sandals and thought better do it while your legs still look good.  Finally got some color on them too.  No fake tan needed.  

I'm in good shape, walk and exercise and watch what I eat.  More important to me than my choice of clothing.  My health I do not take for granted.  I notice more how people struggle with health than how they dress.  

I have seen a lot of young girls dress in things that just do not look good on them even at that young age.  Just because they make a legging doesn't mean you have to or should wear them for example.  

I like playing with my clothes, but I try and use my head on how I dress.  I do not want to come across too young or too old but more like wow she looks good in that,  

I color my hair because I hate the gray on me.  Not because I am trying to fool anyone that I am younger than I am.  I just think it looks nice on me.  My daughter said mom I will let you know when it is time and it is not yet.  

I worked with a lady and a friend of ours stopped by and I said what do you think of her gray hair now.  She had not seen it.  She said it looks nice on her, it matches her wrinkles.  She was serious too.  She is older than her and still colors her hair.  LOL