Honored Contributor

@Sooner .................What I meant here is those ladies dont care what strangers think.  And why should they?  Friends and family should not care how their friend dresses.  Its the person and not the material things they should love or like about you.  People are going to say and think what they want anyway no matter what.   

I personally dont care what others wear, do (except crime of course), live or how they wear their hair, or what car they drive, etc, etc..  Its their life.  I try my best to respect everyone.

I hope I answered your questions correctly as I did not completely understand them.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I have a relative (70) who dresses in clothing appropriate for an 18 year old. Short, short skirts, lots of cleavage and she loves social media showing off every chance she gets. Behind other women's backs, she has often called them frumps to me. I suspect, she thinks I am one as I don't show cleavage, have long hair or post daily photos of myself. At 69 years old, my mantra is I had my day in the sun and now I pass the baton to younger women to wear the stuff I did. 😄 

Do I wish I could still wear a black leotard or tank top with low slung jeans and still look like I did? Of course I do but even at the same weight now, I would just look silly. That ship has sailed and I am OK with it...

Valued Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@chiclet Understand all the points you make.

I'm all over the place in things I like, from some trendy/whimsical romantic looks to classics. I think I do have a clear vision for myself of what looks cute on a tween or twenty-something, but is no longer appropriate for me. If I see a trend, I think I know how to style it for my age. Some things I know, are no longer an option, even if in shape, just look silly and sad on a woman my age, or at least on me...super mini shorts, cut off mini denim skirts, super "cute" young trends, to me are pretty obvious.

I'm in my 60's, petite, in shape, thankfully, no wrinkled arms, pretty good legs still...not bragging just giving the "picture"... I still wear youthful looks just in a "grown up" way.

I do "check" myself, as I know being petite, and having a "romantic" style...I can sometimes choose "too cute" for maybe my age...so I do give thought to it. But romantic, is a look that suits my style and look, I feel, even at this age. Lol...I think of my dear mom who had such style her whole life to 91...she'd say to me, "You're 40, 50 or 60 now...you have to dress more sophisticated!" Smiley Happy Good fabrics, great fit, grown up style, even when it's with an artistic flair.

About the arms situation...I truly feel....in the dog days of summer...even when my arms go...I'm wearing sleeveless! As long as the top is age appropriate and doesn't show anything "hanging" with too big arm holes etc...it doesn't bother me at all to see an older woman with her arms out. It's summer...feel cool, is how I feel. No one expects her to look 20 at this point, so what it's an older arm. Obviously, if it makes anyone uncomfortable, as I know it does with many women (I sold women's clothing for a while...sleeveless was a hard "NO" for many) then "you do you."

@amyb  I agree with your dear mom's advice.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie LOL!!!  I don't understand my questions either so I asked you!  And thanks for sharing. I tend to see how we dress as what we think we are, first, and also as something we can do to show others that we respect them.

So yes, I guess I do think more about what people wear, because I think most of us dress with some intent,some message we are trying to send.  SO I do appreciate your reply!   Woman Very Happy  Helps my thinking!

Honored Contributor

Re: Dressing your age?

[ Edited ]

@Janey2 @Kim's #1 priority when she dresses is not necessarily to look great. Her priority is to GET NOTICED ON CAMERA. That is how she makes her money. That is why you might see her wearing some outfits that will get talked about and shown on multiple online sites. These outfits don't have to even be ones she likes. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclet   It is hard not to judge others....I am also to blame. But, that is what this thread is about.... judging...you are describing an older lady dressing like she was trying too hard.... perhaps she feels good about herself...wrinkled skin and all. I think we all need to try to just zip our lips.... me included...

I am like you... I dress pretty conservative and with no boobs hanging out at age 66...but, more power to that older  lady you described with the long blond hair and the shorts and boots in the waiting room.   People like her make life colorful🙂👍.

People like us are pretty boring😄

Honored Contributor

@Janey2   It's a personal choice. If you want to color your hair, great no words from me. My objection here is others stating that 

grey hair makes you old.

Well, no one online can see my white/silver hair to make that decision...except me. Nothing perssonal...All good.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I have seen a few sights in my life of women trying to hang on to that youthful age.  I saw one woman with black eye makeup all over top and bottom and it was a mess.  As far as clothes be a little conservative as we age.  I wear tops and pants since I am retired.

@Katcat1   I've seen that on too many young women, too.

Honored Contributor

A lot of "appropriate" went in the toilet with Covid. I'm still seeing women in pj pants, uncombed hair, unkempt feet w/ flip flops or sandals, etc. in the grocery store and mall

That's far more disturbing to me than dressing your age. Just get dressed! Present yourself neat and clean in public.

Have some respect for yourself no matter what others may think.

Trusted Contributor

Two things:

I try NOT to think of the message I am sending with my side ponytail at my age. I wear it that way because it is easy and comfortable -- even though I have a number of grey hairs in the mix with my dark brown/& a bit auburn hair.

I KNOW I would look more fashionable with my hair in a just below chin-length bob, but it always bothers me to have hair hitting my glasses-wearing face. I grow it longer just to be able to easily get it off my face without a lot of fussing.

I do hold back my hair with two understated tortoise-shell type barretts and let it hit a bit below my shoulders or instead hold it in the back with a casual bun when I am meeting someone in business. But at the doctor's office or a home, CASUAL reigns.

Be well, be happy, be healthy!

-Solar  Smiley Happy