Contributor

Dr denese cleanser vs philosophy purity

Is there a big difference between the two cleansers

Respected Contributor

Re: Dr denese cleanser vs philosophy purity

@Mandy H wrote:

Is there a big difference between the two cleansers

I can only give you my opinion.  Purity is something I choose not to use, since it leaves my skin sticky - not a good feeling. I have o rinse and rinse to get rid of that stickiness.  I had a large bottle once that I bought before trying the product. Ended up throwing it away.

This does not happen with Dr. Denese's cleanser.  

Honored Contributor

Which Dr. Denese cleanser? She makes more than one.

The Hydrating cleanser leaves me skin feeling better than Purity does, but not as good as my favorite cleansing oil.

The Resurface and Glow cleanser is closer to Philosophy's Microdelivery face wash and I think they're comparable. I tend to prefer the Resurface and Glow.

Contributor

I bought the tsv she had and it has a cleanser in it. Not sure which one.  Normally use purity.

Esteemed Contributor

I have used both. Purity is not the same formula as it was in the past. I have to rinse and rinse to get that off my face. Dr. Denese leaves my face without any residue and I can see a difference in the am.  

Super Contributor

I loved Philosiphy when it first came and was pleased with the results, a few years back they changed the formulation and it turned my face bright red and itchy..so I stopped using it. I haven't tried Dr. Denese's cleanser..I use the Tatcha...which does an amazing job on my skin.

Honored Contributor

@gracie2014 wrote:

I loved Philosiphy when it first came and was pleased with the results, a few years back they changed the formulation and it turned my face bright red and itchy..so I stopped using it. I haven't tried Dr. Denese's cleanser..I use the Tatcha...which does an amazing job on my skin.

Tatcha's camelia oil cleanser left my skin really dehydrated. It was a confusing experience, an oil that left me dryer than a traditional cleanser. I think it's the things some companies add to the oils to make them turn milky and wash away with water that does it, but I'm not sure. I can use some oil cleansers, but not others.

I think this is the most difficult part of skincare - how differently we all react to things. It makes it hard to find something that you know will work for you.

Super Contributor

It really has to do with our skin's chemistry...I was skeptical to use this product...but this entire line has done wonders for my skin...I thought Tacha's camelia oil cleanse would make my dry skin.oily..quite the opposite..the rice powder...I was afraid would be too abrasive was not in the least abrasive.. Tatcha is pretty expensive..I tried it when it was the TSV...auto-delivery

Respected Contributor

Purity Made Simple ingredients (from the philosophy website):

water (aqua), sodium lauroamphoacetate, sodium trideceth sulfate, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, coco-glucoside, cocos nucifera (coconut) alcohol, peg-120 methyl glucose dioleate, aniba rosaeodora (rosewood) wood oil, geranium maculatum oil, guaiac (guaiacum officinale) extract, cymbopogon martini oil, rosa damascena extract, amyris balsamifera bark oil, santalum album (sandalwood) oil, salvia officinalis (sage) oil, cinnamomum cassia leaf oil, anthemis nobilis flower oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) seed oil, piper nigrum (pepper) seed extract, polysorbate 20, glycerin, carbomer, triethanolamine, methylparaben, propylparaben, citric acid, imidazolidinyl urea, yellow 5 (ci 19140).

Dr. Denese Hydrating Cleanser (from her website):

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Glycol Stearate, Lecithin & Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, ACrylates Copolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Aloe Barbandensis Leaf, Cocoamidopropyl Betaine, Borago Officinalis Seed Oil, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol.

Looks like Dr. Denese nailed the "made simple" part, anyway.

I used philosophy products years ago, before the company was sold. I never liked Purity because my face never felt clean after using it. I don't have that problem with Dr. Denese's Hydrating Cleanser, which I was using before I got the TSV. It also doesn't make my skin feel tight, as a number of "soapy" cleansers do. YMMV, of course.

Contributor

Thank you so much for showing this. The ingredient list makes all the difference I'm sold.